and gain access to Reviews and Discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modifications and Events, Street Truck Mods and Events, and much more! Since 1996 our community has covered every aspect of the Ford Explorer, Ford Ranger and all vehicles based on this platform.

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Surging with cruise control

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by Dr.Doug, November 26, 1999.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Dr.Doug

Dr.Doug Member

I have a '91 Explorer. When the cruise control is operational, the vehicle surges while attempting to maintain the selected speed. What could this be? The vehicle runs perfect, other than that.

1991 EB

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Skip Pendle

Skip Pendle Member

City, State:
      Vallejo, CA
      Year and Model:
      '93 Eddie Bauer
      Check the vacuum hose for an obstuction or leak.
      I recently installed a new cruise control hose with one having a larger internal diameter which improved overall control performance.

4. Dr.Doug

Dr.Doug Member

Well, I inspected all hoses involving the cruise control. No damage or blockage found. I applied vacuum and the cruise diaphragm seemed to hold. What gives? HELP!!!

5. Dr.Doug

Dr.Doug Member

I received an e-mail from someone recently regarding the odometer and the cruise control. The e-mail suggested that the speedometer sets the stage for maintaining a speed using the cruise.

I found this hard to believe but today I may have confirmed this. At 55 mph my speedometer is steady, as is the speed using the cruise control. AT 68 mph, the speedometer fluctuates 1 to 2 mph. When I set the cruise control at this speed, the vehicle too surged and fluctuated.

Any other input on how the speedometer communicates with the cruise control? I thought that the speed sensor regulated the cruise. Am I wrong?

Doug

6. Hank

Hank Elite Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Cape Coral, FL
      Year and Model:
      '91 EB
      Hey Doug,

What is the condition of your vac. mod. on the tranny? The cruise control started doing a bunch of strange things right before mine went out on my 91EB. Check your trans fluid level and see if the vac. line from the trans is wet with fluid. Fluid loss in the trans and oil level gain is a sign of this also.

7. sgray58

sgray58 New Member

Year and Model:
      1995 xlt
      Engine surge in cruise control

The speed sensor in the transmission has a plastic gear on the end. Mine had one tooth broken off and several others worn. Replacing the gear cured the surging and erratic speedometer readings.