Symptoms of a bad timing chain, & lifter rattle sometimes | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Symptoms of a bad timing chain, & lifter rattle sometimes

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage Ak
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer V8
Is there any symptoms of a bad timing chain? If so what are they? Also I was told the lifters rattle...and they do SOMETIMES. :( I was told to let it die because of it, but I don't want to let it die. The garage people said that because it has as many miles on it as it does to just let it die. (currently over 216,000). But it runs fine other than that, except for a whole in the exhaust which is getting fixed tomorrow.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Which engine do you have? If it is a V6, which V6?

Sohc?

Do you have this engine? If so it is known as the SOHC V6 They don't use lifters, they use valve lash adjusters instead.

This is the engine that is most likely to have timing chain issues as it has a complex timing chain setup. The timing chain noise sounds kind of like shaking a spray paint can.

DSCF2598.jpg

The two other engine variants are the OHV V6 and V8, they both use lifters. It is very rare for them to have any timing chain issues as the timing chain is a very simple setup.

If you have lifter noise in the OHV V6 or V8 I suggest chainging the oil and oil filter if it has not been done in a while.;)

Post a video of the rattle, perhaps someone can diagnose the noise for you.

SOHC timing chain rattles usually slightly at idle, and more so again around 3k rpms. At least thats how mine is. I switched to synthetic oil and its all quiet on the western front again. It usually starts making very slight rattling after 3-4k miles, so i change my oil again. Sometimes they can rattle on forever and not have an issue, sometimes they go.

Back