The difference between 4.0L OHV and SOHC | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The difference between 4.0L OHV and SOHC

I've never dealt with the SOHC, but I have no problems with my OHV at 156k. Still plenty of power to pull cars and what not.. I have the tow rig of the family.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what no one's said about the 4.0 SOHC.. it's the latest evolution of the old 2.8 German engine.. from what I've learned Ford took the 4.0 OHV and adapted it to OHC making the SOHC.. I believe it has the same short block as the OHV engine..

Originally posted by C5 Pewter Coupe
what no one's said about the 4.0 SOHC.. it's the latest evolution of the old 2.8 German engine.. from what I've learned Ford took the 4.0 OHV and adapted it to OHC making the SOHC.. I believe it has the same short block as the OHV engine..

That is correct, I was waiting for someone to pitch in on this. As a matter of fact if you were to break down the 4.0L SOHC block, you would still see where the pushrods would go in OHV applications.

--Sean

Remanufactured OHV engines are available for about $1800. Jasper is more expensive.

What attracted me to the 93 X's little 160 HP 4.0 stump puller was that it made all its torque at a low 2200 RPMs. The next year Ford advertised maxium torque still at only 2400 RPMs, if my memory serves me correctly.

I ordered our Electric Red 93 EB from the factory, so I did a lots of research before placing the order. Still have it and it runs as strong as ever with 147K on it!

Happy trails and have a very blessed Christmas season!

Mike

97LTD,

Did you ever replace the SOHC motor? I'm trying to figure out if the SOHC can be replaced with a OHV. My 98 is in the shop with a timing issue. Shop quoted me 3000 bucks to repair??

I too, would like to know about replacing an OHV engine with a SOHC. I love my 96 Eddie Bauer, and I wouldn't mind getting an extra 50 BHP. I was wondering if the 4 speed electronic controlled transmission will work with the SOHC, as Ford "added" another gear to the transmission with the new SOHC engine. Really, all they did was monkey around with the electronics to provide another gear next to second using the overdrive. Anywho, I was wondering what electronics would have to be replace. The ECM is obvious, but where do I find one that works? eBay? Just curious.

You guys are funny. Ryberman wants to replace his SPHC with a OHV
and Alfonzman wants to do the opposite.

Both of these have been discussed on this forum in some detail and yes both are possible, but likely not worth it for most people.
Its not just a simple remove one bolt the other in, there are computers and transmissions to deal with.

Its not that far from Wisconsin to Indiana is it? You guys could meet halfway, say Chicago, and have an engine and PCM swap party. Couple of six packs and a pizza or two later, everyone is happy. :D

dogfriend said:
Its not that far from Wisconsin to Indiana is it? You guys could meet halfway, say Chicago, and have an engine and PCM swap party. Couple of six packs and a pizza or two later, everyone is happy. :D

Wouldn't it be much easier (and cheaper) to simply sign over the titles and swap car-keys???

-Joe

gijoecam said:
Wouldn't it be much easier (and cheaper) to simply sign over the titles and swap car-keys???

-Joe

Yes, but they both want to swap engines. :p

They didn't say that they wanted the easy and cheap method.

Alright alright fellas I get the picture. I picked up the the ride from the shop today. There 3000 buck quote was simply way of saying we're to busy right now and don't want the headache. The Timining chain needs replaced on this 98 sohc. Can anyone suggest a good web site to read up on this procedure??

Also it seems that ford made a change to there sohc motor in the later years. Anyone know what this change was?? Perhaps it was something in the timing tensioner device?

Sometime in '00 (before I got my new engine) they began using the updated timing chain tensioners.

-Joe

I had an OHV in a 94 xlt. I had 168,000 on it with no problems. I traded it for a 98 with SOHC. I take a trip up the mountains of W.V. every summer to ride 4wheelers. I pull 2 4wheelers on my trailer. (6x12ft.) The SOHC pulls much better than my OHV did. The OHV could just maintain speed going up the large hills. My SOHC will take off up the hills if I step down on it some more. I know what you mean about the low end being better on the OHV. But I really got excited about my SOHC the first time I stomped it. That was a pretty good rush.

The only real reason I'm interested in swapping the engine is because I LOVE my 96 EB, and every single year EB after 97, ford made crappier changes to them--the rear hatch w/ neon lamp, the nicer seats, the better moonroof, but I digress. I would almost want to buy a different Explorer (97 EB w/ v8 or SOHC), but I am too attached to this one. But that's just why I'm as stubborn as I am.

1999 4.0 sohc v/s 2003 sohc

Was reading through the post, and I have a question that perhaps you guru's might know.
Odd thing is I have a 2000 Explorer, VIN 1FMDU62X0YUB67722
Being it is an X VIN, and a look up says it came with a SOHC, but mine has the OHV engine, and the 5R55E tranny.
Thing that I am wondering is about the timing cover...mine has eaten away on the driver side, so I need to replace the stupid thing.
Question is, are the SOHC and OHV timing covers the same on these engines? Surely I thought NO, but looking at what I have and what the SOHC has...looks the same to me.
Thanks gang for any suggestions and input you might have.

They might LOOK the same but I am 99% sure they are different.
Check your other post, this thread is from 9 years ago..... I responded in your thread from 08/14/2019 :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back