• Register Today It's free!

Swapping 1997 4.0L SOHC to OHV

sam_wren99

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer/'97 XLT
I need an engine for my '97 Eddie Bauer Edition Explorer with an 4.0L V6 SOHC "VIN E". I had bought another '97 Explorer XLT "VIN P" with a 5.0L in it which after many debates nothing swapped out between the two. Now I have found another '98 Explorer XLT with a 4.0L V6 OHV "VIN X" in it.

Now will this one work for my Eddie Bauer Edition? If so what are the changes that I would have to do besides the computer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

y would you want to go from SOHC to OHV anyway? The OHV is crap compared to the SOHC.

Unlike cheesypoofs, I think the OHV is an excellent engine, but it is not worth the effort to swap into a OHC equipped X. You would have to change the entire wireing harness, ECM, BCM and most likely the tranny. Its too bad you are in Kansas as I have a '99 with an OHC I'd give you (you can have it if you want it, but you'll have to come to western Colorado to get it). Keep searching and find yourself a OHC, you'll be far better off in the long run.

Well im not necessarily saying the OHV is a bad engine but ive heard of many more problems with the OHV and it also has significantly less power than the SOHC

what I am looking to do is that I have found an Ford Explorer that was rolled and the engine and trans is still good. Now the transmission looks the same, but after looking at the wiring schematic there was only a couple of differences. The car still runs and drives but the frame is bent, so the guy is selling it for $350. The engine is an OHV.

Now I know of a junkyard that has the engine I actually need for $550, but I would still need to get a a/c compressor and power steering pump.

The only problem I see with the SOHC engines is the timing chain rattle. Which I plan on replacing the tensioner before installing if this is the route I decide to go.

the timing chain tentioner kit is almost 500 i have a 98 explorer with 1 ohv and a 97 with a sohc and i was going to do the same thing. the ford dearership says the the trans are diffrent sam part # but they ar diffrent if you do this and it works let me know because my sohc is **** because of the tentioners i am thinking about going to pick a part and getting a new engine for 200 and rebuilding mine

Back