Throw away the claybar... This is much better | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throw away the claybar... This is much better

I had a ton of overspray on my '70 Dart after repainting the inside of the trunk. It was a mix of epoxy primer and black urethane with clear. I thought I had masked the car off well enough taking into consideration paint migrating through the quarter panels, into the sail panels etc, but the aerosol mist found it's way around the entire car. My initial reaction when I saw how much epoxy primer had built up between the quarter glass and the quarter panel was that the paint was ruined.

I called my friend Ron who own www.RMRestoration.com and asked for his advice. He said, "Oh it happens all the time. Just get a cloth from SM Arnold", and so I did... As he was telling me about it I punched it into Amazon.com and found it:

Speedy Surface Prep - Fine Grade

It arrived today and I couldn't wait to put it to work. It cut through all of the overspray and left the paint looking as perfect as it did before I did the bodywork. PHEW!

The best part is the cloth just rinses off and can be used over and over without getting filled with grit like the clay bars do. That's the most important part. Like a clay bar it needs a detailing spray as a lubricant. I use Meguiar's Final Inspection as it comes in gallon sizes making it more economical than small bottles.

This is my public service announcement for the day ;)

Back