Guys, please, I need your opinions about these photos. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Guys, please, I need your opinions about these photos.

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
So guys, I finally got to test drive that 2018 XLT I mentioned on my first post. That 23k became 26,500 but managed to get it down to 25,000, final. With tag and dealer fees and Everything! Really everything. But, there's a but, the car is 41k miles and still, it confuses me the fact that the front windshield plastic cover (see photo A, first one on the attachments) it's all cracked. Can I change this later?. I know they are not going to lower on the price because of this. Anyway. I could use some advise on this specific part. I also attached some more pictures from under the car. Is it ok if it doesn't have a mud cover under? Let me know what you think about this beauty.

A.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So guys, I finally got to test drive that 2018 XLT I mentioned on my first post. That 23k became 26,500 but managed to get it down to 25,000, final. With tag and dealer fees and Everything! Really everything. But, there's a but, the car is 41k miles and still, it confuses me the fact that the front windshield plastic cover (see photo A, first one on the attachments) it's all cracked. Can I change this later?. I know they are not going to lower on the price because of this. Anyway. I could use some advise on this specific part. I also attached some more pictures from under the car. Is it ok if it doesn't have a mud cover under? Let me know what you think about this beauty.

View attachment 437550 View attachment 437554 View attachment 437555 View attachment 437556 View attachment 437557 View attachment 437558 View attachment 437559
Honestly that cover can be replaced but I personally don't like them as they can get in the way of some tasks like changing oil and filter or looking at the condition of certain components, I honestly wouldn't worry about it

Get in the way of an oil filter replacement? Isn't that part all the way up where the windshield is? I did some research and now I know the name of it of that part, is the Cowl Panel. Please correct me.if I'm wrong.
Thanks for your reply to my original post. Appreciate it.

Get in the way of an oil filter replacement? Isn't that part all the way up where the windshield is? I did some research and now I know the name of it of that part, is the Cowl Panel. Please correct me.if I'm wrong.
Not really familiar with the 2011 and up explorers tbh

View attachment 437550 View attachment 437554 View attachment 437555 View attachment 437556 View attachment 437557 View attachment 437558 View attachment 437559
From what I see it looks great
The plastic crack? I have really old single use explorer, parked outside all the time, never cracked. Start with 2018 MSRP, depreciate 6 years. Use Kelly Blue Book, to evaluate. Take it to a mechanic and test engine and transmission, look for flood damage. You are spending a lot of money for used, did you look into a new explorer just XL, comes worry free. Ranger, Maverick, Bronco are good options too.

I don't think that cowl trim panel is too difficult to replace, maybe see if they'll throw one in with the deal?
As for the cracking, I'm guessing it's seen a lot of FL sun, so it's just dried out.
If/when you replace it, put some protectant on it regularly (303 for example) and it should help it last a bit longer.

I'm in MN, so not nearly as much sun as you, and my Ex is garaged whenever it's at home, but after almost 9 years and close to 120K miles, mine still looks fine.

I don't think there was ever a mud guard (splash shield) on the bottom. Some (all?) AWD versions came with a duct to direct air to the PTU, but it was fairly narrow. You do need to remove it to complete an oil change. My 14 Sport has it.

The other pictures look good.

Have a look at this link. I'm not sure if it is #1 or #7. Cowl for 2018 Ford Explorer | TascaParts.com
I believe there are some members here that have had the same issue. As for the "mud cover" or splash shield, I'm not really sure what that part is.

Peter

those mud covere are good for fuel exonomy and keeping grime out of the engine bay, but not critical imo. many often forget to reinstall them when they take em to a wuick oil change place, seen it many times. but at latge they dont serve any critical purpose

That car sat in the sun a lot. I bet the side moldings and roof rails were exposed as well. These are common items that crack or come lose in severe sun exposure since they are essential glued on from factory. If the car is solid everywhere else then these issues are low hanging fruit... Maybe take it through a car wash and ensure the moldings are still water tight

As mguy13sport said.. sun.. The SC sun eats everything that has continuous exposure. Worse in Fla. If you want to keep paint, molding or any plastic material good here a car port is mandatory.

As mguy13sport said.. sun.. The SC sun eats everything that has continuous exposure. Worse in Fla. If you want to keep paint, molding or any plastic material good here a car port is mandatory.
Yep, same here in Alabama the sun kills plastic and paint

Have a look at this link. I'm not sure if it is #1 or #7. Cowl for 2018 Ford Explorer | TascaParts.com
I believe there are some members here that have had the same issue. As for the "mud cover" or splash shield, I'm not really sure what that part is.

Peter
yes sir! it's item #7 I found a used part from a LKQ center near me, waaaaay cheaper. But obviously, I'm hesitant to buy another used part and also being cracked....I mean. just bought the car....my pockets are still hot!

That car sat in the sun a lot. I bet the side moldings and roof rails were exposed as well. These are common items that crack or come lose in severe sun exposure since they are essential glued on from factory. If the car is solid everywhere else then these issues are low hanging fruit... Maybe take it through a car wash and ensure the moldings are still water tight
Thanks. Do you know of any product I can use to protect not just this but all the black rubber and plastic components in the exterior?

I've had good luck with 303 Protectant products. Rick directed me towards them and they work very well. No greasy residue. I used the marine version on old vinyl boat seats and they came out very nice. I also use it on the interior of the Explorer. It seems to soak in quickly on older stuff and is helping my old vinyl dash from cracking. Leaves a satin finish. I recently wiped some on the mirrors of the Explorer and it made them look new-ish, much better than the dried out beat up look I was going for previously.

You may be able to order a replacement cowl panel from Ebay, oemautoparts1, or online junkyard. Rather new Explorer, but a lot of the USA doesn't get the heat you do, and parts like these and dash cover, etc. don't crack so fast!

You may be able to order a replacement cowl panel from Ebay, oemautoparts1, or online junkyard. Rather new Explorer, but a lot of the USA doesn't get the heat you do, and parts like these and dash cover, etc. don't crack so fast!

I just bought and installed this. Do a little shopping for price, they are hard to find do to demand.
Only needed a small (pulley) or "windshield wiper arm" puller and a socket. There is a great YouTube video I used to do the install so credit to that vid.

IMG_20221116_090029623.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back