Trans Temperature Sensor Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans Temperature Sensor Replacement

827palmer

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Explorer
Long time reader, first time poster. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge everyone shares on the forum. I have a 96 Explorer XLT 4.0 2WD with 283K on the odometer. Motor was replaced by previous owner as far as I know everything else is original. I have owned it for 3 months and its been a busy 3 months. The car was basically given to me by the guy I work for so cant complain about it really. It was running rough and driving when I took possession but thats about all you could say for it. In the last 3 months I have replaced TPS, plugs and wires, IAC, EGR Valve, numerous vaccum lines, radiator, upper control arms, lower ball joints, rack and pinion, inner and outer tie rods, front wheel bearings, lower steering shaft and all 4 tires. Started out with 6 OBD codes and now its down to 2. One is for the Transmission Range Sensor and the other is for the Transmission Temperature sensor. My question is, do I have to remove the valve body to replace the temp sensor? I went ahead and picked both sensors up along with a filter and gasket. First time I've attempted to replace this sensor but I know it is integrated into the internal wire harness. The Range Sensor is pretty basic so no worries there. Hoping this will take care of the last 2 codes showing and I can take a vacation from working on it for a few weeks! Thanks for any info you can impart.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Long time reader, first time poster. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge everyone shares on the forum. I have a 96 Explorer XLT 4.0 2WD with 283K on the odometer. Motor was replaced by previous owner as far as I know everything else is original. I have owned it for 3 months and its been a busy 3 months. The car was basically given to me by the guy I work for so cant complain about it really. It was running rough and driving when I took possession but thats about all you could say for it. In the last 3 months I have replaced TPS, plugs and wires, IAC, EGR Valve, numerous vaccum lines, radiator, upper control arms, lower ball joints, rack and pinion, inner and outer tie rods, front wheel bearings, lower steering shaft and all 4 tires. Started out with 6 OBD codes and now its down to 2. One is for the Transmission Range Sensor and the other is for the Transmission Temperature sensor. My question is, do I have to remove the valve body to replace the temp sensor? I went ahead and picked both sensors up along with a filter and gasket. First time I've attempted to replace this sensor but I know it is integrated into the internal wire harness. The Range Sensor is pretty basic so no worries there. Hoping this will take care of the last 2 codes showing and I can take a vacation from working on it for a few weeks! Thanks for any info you can impart.

Congrats on your 96, they run forever!

With two codes that may share a wiring harness, I would try to diagnose a wiring issue first. I mean, the sensors could be bad, but I would look further. Those sensors aren't big failure items.

I suggest to many members to buy a scan tool called BAFX, it is $20, I have it and know it works
Then download this free software for your PC:
Download FORScan

This covers every system in your truck, ABS, Airbag, and gives much more detailed data (you can diagnose the EGR for example, can't do that with a cheap tool). If you get an ABS light, you don't have post here asking the members to guess :lol:. You can view actually MPH for each sensor.

You will actually be able to see the data for the Trans sensor, and the shifter position (that is the transmission range sensor).

Finally, if you are going to keep this truck a good service DVD Is essential, and for $12 you can't go wrong!
Ford / Lincoln / Mercury - Service Repair Workshop Manual 1996-2008 DVD-ROM | eBay

Just verify with the seller it covers the 96 explorer, It says 96 but mentions 97 cars. The 97 OHV is for all intents and purposes identical though. They have a 5 speed transmission but most of the changes are in the computer. The manual will have wiring diagrams and step by step instructions so you get it right the first time.

I'll check out the ForScan for sure, thanks for the info. I have a relatively cheap OBD scanner that reads ABS but nothing as detailed as what you mentioned. Thank you for the advice and the info. Everything I have replaced so far has been original equipment so i figured it was time to grab new ones....

I'll check out the ForScan for sure, thanks for the info. I have a relatively cheap OBD scanner that reads ABS but nothing as detailed as what you mentioned. Thank you for the advice and the info. Everything I have replaced so far has been original equipment so i figured it was time to grab new ones....
Yeah, if you have the adapter it may work with Forscan. I agree, can't hurt to change those parts, but we don't want to be like the redneck parts changer mechanics we hate! Diagnosis is key. If you find a wiring fault, that can be repaired and the new part installed. Good Luck!

Also, there is a sticky above about reseating wiring harnesses, that can cause all kinds of weird electrical problems.

Back