Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Does the Explorer have a transmission computer or does it use the PCM?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting side note... I have SCT tuning software, which allows you to tune the transmission electronics in the PCM. Unfortunately for me, not knowing absolutely everything about electronic automatic transmissions, I would be nervous making too many changes to one in the tune. Anyway, cool that it can be done.

question??? does adjusting the bands,put your shifter in the right places...i have a 95 explorer,and when i put it in gear,(like DRIVE) it goes to 2 to drive,OR sometimes 1.when i put her in park,it dont go to the "p" it stays in between the "p" and the other?what do i do?

so how can i tell what type of band i have?single or double?it has been rebuilt so is there a way too tell or do they have to replace it with what came out it?

It's possible to upgrade the double wrap band for a singe wrap band. You will have to use the single wrap apply strut. It was probably upgraded if it's rebuilt since the double wrap band is not made anymore.

yea it was rebuilt a couple months ago but i just put a shift kit in and wanted to check them.so go with the single band spec?
Posted via Mobile Device

You should contact the shop that rebuilt it to eliminate any guess work. It might still be under the warranty, so be very careful what you say when you talk to them. I would assume that opening it to perform an alteration would void the warranty.

OK, I did a band adjustment on the 5R55E last Saturday,
marking the studs with white-out so I could count the
original turns and compare with the new.

After adjustment, the OD band was turned in for a net
gain of 1/4 turn, and the intermediate band wound up
with 1/8 of a turn OUT from the stock setting....????

This is on the 00 Sport with 127,000 miles on the clock, and
owned since 34K so I'm certain the bands have never been
adjusted.

The 1/4 turn IN on the OD band tells me there's minimal wear
on this band, but what about the 1/8 turn OUT on the
intermediate? Has my trans found the Fountain Of Youth and
is getting newer as it ages.....?????:D

is there a point where the band is wore out, can the friction surface be wore off? or is the band good till it breaks

I'm having some issues, if I keep on the gas, the RPMs will continue to rise with no upshift unless I let off the gas, then it'll shift. I don't know if it's actually shifting into 2nd or 3rd though.

I've replaced the servo, no change.
I adjusted the bands and it shifted great for a while (couple hours) When I really laid into it, it went back to how it was before.

I'm thinking that the bands are hooped. I believe I'll have to drop the tranny and replace some parts.

Thank you!

BrooklynBay,
I sure wished you lived in Oregon...thanks for all the unique photo's of the fixing trucks. This is the best sight I've found on the net. Just wanted to put that out there to you,....thanks if you move to Oregon and opened a shop, I would be your first customer!

Hello,

My problem is that my '96 won't move unless i put the selector in 1st and the go to drive. Reverse works fine.
I have no error codes and a/d light doesn't blink.

I have everything new in the tranny except for the bands and servo pistons.

Someone told me that it might be the epc, but i don't have such err code.

Is it possible to be because of the bands? 4R55E tranny.

My bands are adjusted like they were before i swapped everything inside.

How do i make a correct adjustment now?

I am quite a wooden head, so i didn't exactly got the adjustment method.
Should i tighten the bolts all way in and then 2 turns beack and 2.5 turns back?

Thanks.

Ok, thanks, but first i have to tighten the adjustment screw to the specified torque, and the turn back, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok. Thanks. I supoose that, if i have to go to higher rpm to get moving, the band is too loose right?

P.S. Is the intermediate band, responsible for the 1'st and 2nd ? Because the 3rd and 4th work perfect :)

Back