Solved - Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission Band Adjustment Specification Chart

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
I just need a little clarification. I have a '98 Explorer and I need to adjust the bands. I need to know which one is the intermediate and which one is the OD band since the intermediate is different. I would appreciate any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you very much, I do appreciate the clarification. The adjustment did the trick. 145,000 miles and shifts like the day it was new.

I've read a lot of threads about adjusting bands, but i've not done mine yet. How much torque did you apply WPEXPLORER? And how many turns back you did? But mine is '92 XLT i'm not sure if it is single wrap or double wrap bands..

Sorry it took so long for a reply. I just used the info on the very first post by Brooklyn. I hope that helps. I spent some time in Saudi Arabia so I know that heat there has put that Explorer to the test! Good Luck! My best advice would be to check with Brooklyn for specifics. He is the expert.

Pita

I just completed this and I must say, this is the biggest pain in the rear!!!! Got the 3/8 torque wrench stuck on the adjuster by the bell housing cause the linkage is in the way. Had to fiddle with that. Then had to get two different wrenches for the middle adjuster cause the other big black thing is in the way!!!! Good grief and a half.

Lessons learned:
*Read this guide.
*Get a 19 mm box end wrench, its a bit thinner allowing you to get in behind the crap in the way.
*When you finish torquing the adjuster, try to have the wrench handle pointing down, easier to finesse off. Mine was to the side against the linkage. :mad:
*Unless you have a crowsfoot 19mm, I think the only way to get the lock nuts torqued is by doing a good tight. I see no way to get a torque wrench on those guys.
*Haynes manual doesnt really do much for ya.

Good luck and once you get past the linkage stuff it is really not too bad.

Cheers
Kinley

I removed the linkage and I think it is the neutral safety switch which made it much easier. I believe there is a little play in the switch installation so a little white out marked the original location.
Good Luck,

Band Adjustment? Bad VB? Or dead tranny

I am having some issues with my tranny as well and im not sure if it could just be cured with a band adjustment. I dont wanna do all this if its pretty much pointless. My tranny feels like it has a loss of power at warm up till about 15 seconds and its fine. But when I give it gas, it will NOT shift unless i let the gas off for a good second. Then every other gear is fine just a little sluggish goin in. I feel like i dont have a last gear also. Going 55-60 and the rpms are about 2.3? Dunno if thats normal. Anyway its a 5r55e tranny with 109k. I've changed fluid and filter also

I can tell you that before I adjusted my bands I could fell and hear the tranny slip for a few seconds when it shifted. It still shifted at the correct times but was slow to engage. The band adjustment corrected the issue. Listen close to the shifts of your transmission. If you have a second gear then there should be a fifth. If I am correct second gear is an overdriven first gear and fifth is an overdriven fourth. I know that in mine it is sometimes difficult to distinguish between 1st and 2nd. I haven't payed too much attention but 2300 rpm seems a little high at 55 mph. Let me check mine tomorrow to be sure. I agree that a band adjustment will never hurt . It is not difficult, just review this thread and you will be good to go.

When adjusting the bands, does it matter if the transmission is hot or cold?

I tried adjusting the bands of my 1992 off road explorer xlt tranny, but it didn't work. I was using a 3/8 drive proto torque wrench (brand new) set at 13.5 n-m because this is the equivalent of 10 ft-lb or 120 in-lb. I didn't hear the torque wrence 'click' but i can feel its so tight already, so I turned the adjusting bolt 2 turns back then I try to run the truck, but it didn't move, feels like it is engage on P. I can only feel the gear engage to D. Still it didn't work in 3.5 turns back, so I did 1/4 turns back then try the truck til it moves.. Maybe i should buy a small inch pounds torque wrence to do this job again.

Welcome to this forum! Did you find any broken band parts in the pan when you replaced the fluid & filter? A band adjustment won't harm anything, so you could try it.

I didnt find any broken parts excpet an o-ring. but that was to the filter and it already got replaced

I am horrified to find out that some people are paying 3000-4000 dollars to rebuild their 5R55W. If you are quoted a price that high you should look elsewhere, there are many other mechanics that are just as good or better than the ones at the dealership. In my area the going rate between myself and my local competitors is 1600.00 for a front to back rebuild. The high priced competitor is 1900.00. These transmissions are not bad to work on I would take a 5R55W over a 90s dodge any day.

Probably a stupid question but can the bands be adjusted with the transmission still in the truck.

yes but you may need to remove the bracket for your shift cable the job only takes about 15min.

I adjusted my bands yesterday on my 02 Explorer Limited 4.6 V8 with the transmission in the truck by just removing the bolts on the shift bracket and was just wondering this. I torqued the bands to 10 foot pounds using an inch pound torque wrench. After I backed the adjusters out about 3/4 of a turn with an 8mm open end wrench I was able to back the adjusters out the remaining 1 and 1/4 turns with my fingers. Is that normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back