Transmission Output/Input Speed Sensor Location | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Output/Input Speed Sensor Location

Reaction score
City, State
`Caneyville kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
I have a 2002 Explorer XLS 4.0 4x4 that has a strange rough shifting issue. It is very intermittent and only shifts rough after the vehicle load changes. I may drive all week by myself and have no issues then drive to town with the wife and kids and it runs fine, but shut it off and drive it and it will shift hard on acceleration. If I turn it off and restart it's fine. There has been no engine codes saved and no check engine light. I was told by a transmission shop it is sensor related and the speed sensor would be a good place to start. Does it have an input and an output sensor and where are they located? I know there is a sensor on the rear diff. is this what I'm looking for?

I doubt its a speed sensor problem, its acting like its in a "limp in" mode. This happens when the computer senses a problem with the transmission and raises the line pressure and you will notice a firm shift. There is a good chance that the scanner you are using may not be able to read transmission codes, not all scanners will retrieve all the information that may be stored in the computer.

Get it scanned with a good scanner, my guess would be that there will be a code for the TCC system stored in computer.

I've had this problem for a very long time with this vehicle. I even purchased a rebuilt transmission and installed it but the problem was still there. The transmission shop I took it to hooked it up to a scanner and drove it and was able to experience the hard shift but nothing was on the scanner. When it's having it's "problem" it sometimes feels like it is shifting to early to me an when it does up shift there will be a hard bump felt. I also notice that the engine doesn't feel like it has near as much power when it's doing this. I installed a rebuilt engine last summer also and it really irritates me after all the money I've spent on this thing it still has this issue. I started experiencing an issue last month with starting it. I had to crank it longer than usual sometimes to get it to start and sometimes when the ac pump would kick on the idle would drop like it was going to stall out. I replaced the IAC valve but it still does it sometimes. Some people have said it's the pcm going bad. I'm just throwing money at it now trying to find the problem. After replacing the tranny, engine,wheel bearings,ball joint,ac condensor, rear end differential and IAC valve I don't know what I should do next. i just wanted a good dependable vehicle so I thought that after all this I would have it but I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to be one. I'm really starting to think that it could be an engine miss fire that feels like a transmission issue. everybody says it feels like it's in the shifting though.

Replaced 3 sensors on transmission and abs sensor on differential but no luck. Back to the drawing board.Anybody have any ideas? It also seems like it doesn't have near as much power when it's acting up but as soon as the key is turned off and restarted it's fine. I have noticed a rough id;e sometimes. It's not really a hard shift, it's more like the jerk you feel with an engine misfire but it's only when it shifts to a higher gear. I guess pcm is next.:(

Back