• Register Today It's free!

Front shaft speed sensor

explorer812

Reaction score
City, State
louisville, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Dealership says this is why my ex is stuck in 4x4 high. There are no lights on the dash indicating that im in 4x4 high however. You can only tell when driving and turning. I have crawled under the truck and looked for this sensor on the 4x4 shift motor, the front hoghead, and the front shaft and havent found anything. Since i have already replaced the rear speed sensor I know what to look for but am coming up empty handed. Can someone please tell me where this is located, or a good reference site to find it. Thanxs

The front and rear output shaft speed sensors are both mounted on the transfer case. Look for electrical connectors going to them. I think you have to remove the triangular heat shield and shift motor to get at the front OSS.

I'm guessing the rear speed sensor you replaced is the one mounted on top of the rear differential. It's not part of the 4X4 control system.

that is correct i replaced the rear differential sensor last time. I will try to look for this again since i know exactly where it is located.

Any how to's or picture references for this OSS sensor replacement? I have a 98' Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L v6 A/T. I purchsed the OSS and have been looking for a reference on how to replace it. I had some place tell me I wouldn't have to drop the tranny and would perhaps have to take off the "actuator plate" to gain access and remove? This is my 1st explorer. I've read through my chiltons manual, looked for videos, diagrams etc. I'm very visual so some pictures would be a GREAT help. Thx.

Back