Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

TTB Terror build

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by Explorer23, October 13, 2013.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      92 Explorer
      What got me started on the passenger side of the truck was moving the computer up into the glove box area, I just couldn't sting the smell or thought of what lurked behind that black box. Also I had my fire in the driver side floorboard, almost toasting the wiring harness on that side. I didn't want to fry that thing as well. So as with everything I wanted to bling it out a bit just to make it a little more prominent back there. I sanded off the corrosion and painted the ovals "new holland blue". Lightly sanded again to remove the excess paint, then clear coated it.
      [​IMG]

Speaking of fires I removed the emergency brake to see the damage.
      [​IMG]
      there is some rust in that picture and I will probably replace that footwell piece.

The main concern I have are these 2 wires. They appear to be grounds going to the emergency brake but can anyone confirm!?!? PLEASE!
      [​IMG]
      There is another clip meted shut further up but it appears to be a test port. I'm not sure but I'll get pics if some one thinks they can identify it. Its wayy up in there just to the side if the steering column.
      To finish on a positive note I got a lot of my "special parts" out of the house and into the garage heres one of my favorites so far.[​IMG]
      AUTOFAB SOLID MOUNTS!!!!!! should really change the feel once it gets back up and running.

Suspension conversion parts are getting made this week and should be here in a few weeks. I'm setting a pretty big goal to have my new ridged body mounts installed and frame painted before fall but we'll see!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I went to the junk yard last week and picked up a Jeep ZJ steering shaft to eliminate the rag joints on the stock steering shaft. Also picked up a hand brake out of the same vehicle. With the recent floor board fire I wanted to relocate the brake anyways, so it will be going next to my shifter in a custom console mounted vertically.
      [​IMG]

I am trying to finish up the computer relocation as well and realized I wasn't going to be happy using the stock bracket way up under the dash. So, I made my own.
      [​IMG]

The top will screw in first then slide the computer in and fold up the bottom via the hinges and screw it on.
      like so...
      [​IMG]

I didn't like the way it sat on the ridge on the heater box so I made some rubber spacers for it to sit on and taped them on so they wouldn't go anywhere. For anybody doing this at home keep in mind the bracket has to be made deeper as well. This was mainly why i wasn't re using the stock bracket.
      [​IMG]

I also ran tape all the way around it 2 times to prevent corrosion. My bracket is steel and the computer housing appears to be aluminum. I'm not sure if that might affect ventilation in some way, but I doubt it as the whole thing appears to be a sealed housing anyway.
      [​IMG]

4. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Update!

It's been a long time since an update, too long:(
      That's not to say I haven't been working hard though! Last I left off here I see it was on the measly computer relocation that should take a half hour and took me a few weeks. Well, that's all done and over with. I got the brackets to convert to the Dana44 ttb, as well as some BEEFY radius arms, coilovers for the front and started rebuilding both front and rear axles.

Front axle is getting a full rebuild hub to hub.
      Mile marker premium hubs, 4.88 Yukon gears and Detroit track lock.

The rear is getting the same treatment.
      Disc brake conversion, ruff stuff truss (9") Yukon axle shafts, 4.86 gears and the detroit soft locker.

There will be more pictures to come as things get buttoned up, this is just the forst time in a while I've had the chance to log on and check back here.

5. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      As promised I uploaded all the photos from over the winter, without a lot of blabber here they are from where I left off...

This is the final resting place for the computer, and I used much less of the custom bracket I made.
      [​IMG]

This was one of the last things I did to the body before parking it for the winter. It will be a sunken battery/tool box where the spare used to hide. I'll cut out the frame crossmembers and shock mounts when the cage comes.
      [​IMG]

6. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      After I parked it for the winter it was time to start modifying the axles, particularly the front

I started with mocking up the front uniball cups
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And I got the braces TIG welded in and finished them off with a strap running the entire radius that I welded on, I didn't like these welds after I snapped the pics so I ground them off and went back over them after... sorry for the blurry pic
      [​IMG]

7. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      It started to get a little colder but I decided I could still pump out a one day project when the inspiration struck, the front glide plate! It's a little too thin to be called a skid plate but it'll at least keep the front axle from acting like a plow when backing up in mud.

Front mock up...
      [​IMG]

I thought I had more from the during process but here is the finished bottom section
      [​IMG]

and the finished product
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]
      I probably could've knocked 2-3in off the length but I didn't have the third member in to go off of so I would've rather it be long than short.

8. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I also started tearing into the rear, it came apart in an afternoon and after the front disassembly I decided to buy a complete assembled third member for it to save time on this build.
      I did get the ruff stuff truss installed though
      [​IMG]

and the diff clear coated, as well as the ruff stuff pinion guard installed.
      [​IMG]

the whole assembly is almost together in the garage I am waiting on some new t-bolts so I can install the disc brake kit, the instructions listed the torque spec for the 1/2 bearing retainer bolts. Mine are the 3/8 so I couldn't figure out why I kept stripping them. Both axles have had their little hiccups but the parts should be here mid week then hopefully it'll come together.

9. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      At this point I started wrapping up the changing of the gears in my front diff, it was a long boring process I'd much rather forget. so no pics of that. Just when I thought i was getting close turns out I was way off but thanks to Janderson4010 it wasn't so bad. I ended up with a pattern that should run smooth after he pointed me in the right direction. :salute:

Just messing around before i started reassembly, I can't wait to see it under the truck![​IMG]

a fresh coat of paint and its coming back together
      [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      That brings us to last weekend. I pulled it out of the garage for the first time in a long time and decided it would be a good time to replace the body mounts. Makes sense before I install the lift and everything. So off I went on the mounts. After I figured out how they came apart it wasn't bad.

The bolts will need replaced for sure though, I had to cut about half of them out. This was the passenger rear and its all kinds of gross.
      [​IMG]

Today at work I couldn't help but wonder what was hiding in that body channel so I went right home and cut it out. Just as I thought, it was BAD.
      [​IMG]

Mouse nest rust overall not what I want to find hiding in the body. I got it cleaned up but now I'm going to have to cut a majoity of my body channels out and figure out what to do. Thankfully I have access to a plasma cutter but this will eat up time I don't really have.

[​IMG]

I will start updating a lot more often now that in my opinion the boring stuff is over with (axles, gears, painting,) and this summer will bring more fab work and assembly, assuming I can get this body sorted out ASAP!

11. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Where you get those mounts??

12. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      They are from Autofab.com. I believe the part numbers are RBX4.0 and RTM100
      Should be sold as a kit. They are a tad pricey as with everything from autofab but they couldn't have done a better job on them. No complaints here.

13. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      They stopped selling them awile ago..you purchased them from them currently? ?

14. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Wow really? I would've got them around the same time I bought the trans so it was a little less than a year ago. I had trouble finding them on the new site when I got them. I noticed their d44 ttb conversion kit is off the site too. It was what planted the seed in my head but there was no way I could afford their kit.

15. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Yea they had fitment issues. .i have emails back and forth from them and this was easily MONTHS ago..you may have to trim one of them to get it to fit on the motor from what im told..

16. jd4242

jd4242 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      va beach
      92explorer&94 ranger
      Speaking of which im sure i over looked but what trans do you go with and final cost?

17. EMBRACETHEHATE89

EMBRACETHEHATE89 Active Member

93 Limited 4x4 Explorer
      I like the homemade front diff guard, thats pretty sweet. I may make one of those. Also did you weld that body paneling with flux core? Looks like ya did from the pics, but i am going blind.....

18. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I was unaware of that thanks JD. I shot a few emails back and forth with them myself but there was never any mention of fit issues. We'll see.

As for the transmission I went with the full performance A4LD. It is supposed to be rated for 750hp but I don't think anything I do to the v6 will come close to that.

And stop looking at the welds! Haha yeah they are flux core but until I start messing with a cage and actual frame related stuff I won't bother to get the gas out but the truss on the rear came out ok. I just needed to do a better job cleaning it. It also didn't help that I laid the first beads outside while it was snowing. My workspace is my biggest hindrance at the moment hence the flux. It's safer to weld outside than in a tiny cluttered garage in my opinion.

19. BKennedy

BKennedy Elite Loser Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      San Diego, PRofK
      1994 XLT
      Brian1 from the board makes engine mounts like these, at a much lower price. They have been tested and work. [MENTION=1644]Brian1[/MENTION]

20. Brian1

Brian1 Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Albuquerque, NM
      1991 XLT
      Callsign:
      KG5BAQ
      Thanks for the mention Brian. I wasn't aware of fit issues with the Autofab set either. I do have a few sets of HD motor mounts for sale that replace the stock mounts without changing the bracket on the block. More info in my for sale ad here: LINK

Cool project! I especially like it because it is the same color as mine - I don't see them that often!

21. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 1st Gen Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newburg, PA
      1994 Explorer
      Callsign:
      yosty
      I have the auto fab engine mounts and they fit perfectly on mine. I didnt buy their transmission mount. I made my own.

22. 5spdman

5spdman Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Stryker, OH
      91 Explorer XLT
      Mine started out looking like that too.....it's a slippery slope after getting bit lol :D

23. EMBRACETHEHATE89

EMBRACETHEHATE89 Active Member

93 Limited 4x4 Explorer
      Here is some constructive criticism for the welding. Do not use flux core wire on body panels. The flux will show thru the paint. In reality you only have to spot weld body panels as well. Also pull the puddle with flux core and push with hard wire. Hope this helps.

24. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      Thanks. I realized that I shouldnt have fully welded after I started but as far as the body goes, topside all the welding is complete. What's on there is getting covered most the time by fiberglass anyway. I guess I never really covered it but the passenger side was done before I parked it for the winter. Welding isn't finished completely though I'm tackling the body channels now.

25. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I got the original body mounts out except for 2 stubborn ones today. Not too shabby but I started looking at all the other body channels I wanted to hack out. Originally I wanted to cut them off from the bottom and call it good since the body won't be supporting a lot when I add the cage etc. but after moving the body around today I started to think about all the forces they see and they are there for reason so I'd have to hack them apart and end up with a twisted body.

So this leaves me with a few options. I can leave it (not really worth going thorough all this work only to have rust form in 5 years), I could cut holes in the floor to clean them from the top and patch them later (best imo) or I'm about to say forget it and SPRAYFOAM all the channels.:eek::(:roll:

I'd like some input so I don't run to Hone Depot on my way home from work tomorrow. ;)

26. Explorer23

Explorer23 Active Member

City, State:
      Columbus, Ohio
      92 Explorer
      I am HORRIBLE about updating this page. I ended up cutting the body channels out from the top and painted the insides pics to come. Mostly I have just been using POR15 to paint the frame and body which is very time consuming. To top it off we have had 4 dry days in 2 months time. I had to move the explorer outside so I can only paint when it'll be dry out. I wanted to start on the suspension by July but I forgot about painting the frame/body, redoing the body mounts etc. It's all the time consuming stuff that slipped my mind. at this point I'm just doing what I can when I can. At least its living up to its name... TTB TERROR