Unsolvable Explorer Rough Idle. Any OBD II experts? | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Unsolvable Explorer Rough Idle. Any OBD II experts?

CashCrazy, Pulling the pan is not what you think if you are used to working on old school stuff like I was. There is an upper and lower pan, and you should be able to see what you need by pulling just the lower. The lower pan looks like an automatic transmission pan, so you don't have any end seals to deal with, no 4 pc. gaskets or any of that. It really is a 10 minute job to remove, 10 minutes to clean up, and 15 minutes to replace.

^ This

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My experience of replacing an oil pan is laying on my back for an hour with oil dripping on my face then hoping the gasket is set properly in the rear main cap. Glad this one is easier.

This one is really easy, the gasket is flat and has rubber posts on it that snap into the alignment holes on the pan, so it's tight to the pan when you put the pan on. You can use pliers to help pull the rubber posts through the holes.

Easy enough on the oil pan. I can have a look this weekend possibly. Of all the work I have done the valve cover gaskets are the only thing that has made a difference. I checked tonight and no leaks.

I went through and tested the EGR as shown on the link below and everything tested good. About the only thing left are injectors and converters. Has anyone tested and cleaned injectors at home? I may go pull a set from the junkyard to test.

http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.6L-5.4L/how-to-test-the-egr-system-1

I'm going look for a nipple to screw into the bank 2 o2 sensor to check the back pressure with my vacuum gauge. Maybe this will explain the odd downstream reading. I also hope I can get the o2 sensor off without beating it up.

The one I pulled at the junkyard gave me no problems except the damn connector at that was with channel locks. I think the thread jinxed me I have developed a pretty rough idle now so I'm going to be swapping back in my old egr. The tick has increased so I have valve cover gaskets on hand to do some exploration. That's of course if I don't loose a wheel first I have almost no steering control and 3 shops that can't find anything wrong. My next stop is off a cliff if I don't get this figured out soon.

I have had good luck with Marvel Mystery oil removing ticks in the past. Lifters can get sludge and start ticking

I tried testing the cat tonight and don't have much to report. I removed the bank 2 upstream sensor and installed an adapter I made to tap in with my pressure gauge.
CC7E90D5-3D5F-4933-B93E-05AAA63F0500_zpshigwifxs.jpg

I didnt have a reading at idle and at 2500 RPM I showed maybe 1psi. I also started the explorer with the o2 bung open thinking it would relieve so pressure if it was the problem. Still had the same idle. That's all folks.

I'm researching a part and hoping someone knows a good supplier. Where can I get a ECM that is programmed with keys and ready to plug in and go.

Marvel Mystery oil is good stuff. Do you have the same rough idle on E85?

There is no e85 available within 120 miles of me so I've never used it

I had to take a break but it's still chugging along. I reset the ECM again after replacing the one downstream O2 sensor and the fuel trims on that bank improved but I don't feel a difference in the idle. I ordered a new downstream sensor for the other side just to see if there is an improvement on that side also.

The injectors are still on my mind since I haven't really tested them. it's a decent amount of work to pull the intake and I hate to pull it and not replace the injectors, but I also hate to throw hundreds more in it. What's everyone's opinion on pulling a set of injectors from the junkyard to use? I will have no idea of the mileage on them, but I could clean them up as much as possible in the garage. Would I be able to reuse the new intake gaskets if the intake is pulled?

I normally wouldn't either but these are more like orings and not made from cork. The ones I have dealt with in the past have either been metal or cork.

I thought the intake manifold gasket was good when I rebuilt my 350, but it leaked a little once it warmed up.

Since it's already apart, and all you have to do is put the new gasket on, you'll be money ahead by doing it.

I would have pulled that oil pan about 20 posts ago though.

I'll pull oil pan on my next oil change. The 4.0 intake is nothing like a 350. It's literally six orings and I replaced them less than 1000 miles ago. I don't know the material but it's a synthetic material not cork.

I'm sure you will be fine reusing the gasket if it doesn't get damaged in the process. Personally I would motor vac it before putting in higher mileage junk yard unknown condition injectors in it, but maybe something might change for the better or worse.
If you feel the need to change o2 sensors go for the upstream. I'm not sure how much fuel trim authority the downstream has on yours, but I'm sure it is not much, mostly just converter monitoring.
What is most important to you, fixing this with the least amount of money, or to be the one who fixed it? If it is the 1st one than I would start with getting it professionally analyzed or diagnosed that comes with a guarantee and then perform the work yourself.
Obd data stream is great for starting the diagnostics, but far from the end. Your looking for the needle in the haystack and if properly interpreted, it can at least cut the hay stack in half if not more. Without us being able to see, hear, feel, and smell your complaint, it makes it impossible for anyone to accurately tell you what the root cause is here. A cylinder contribution test would also be money well spent.
If you do decide to have a professional diagnose it, make sure they feel what you feel to verify your complaint and flat out ask them if they think they're skilled enough with the proper tooling to find the root cause. And please, please close this almost double digit page thread with a detailed fix. Nobody wants to watch a 3 hour movie to find out the ending has been cut out.

I just want it fixed. I took it to ford and they looked me in the eyes and said, "This generation just idles rough. There is nothing wrong with it." I know darn well this idle isn't normal and no explorer would have left the new car lot running like this. I am going to replace the O2 sensor and probably pull the intake again to get a better look at the injectors. If nothing changes I will send to another mechanic.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back