• Register Today It's free!

V8 swap radiator?

Hossexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Baker City, OR.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
What size radiator is everyone using for their V8 swaps in the Explorer/Rangers?

I can't say for certain, but it seems that the proper radiator for a V8 Explorer would work since it's a proven unit for that application.

I have heard of guys re-using the stock 4.0 radiator, and that it cooled plenty well enough for the 5.0, but I have no personal experience with doing that. Probably I would want the 2-core one aka "SuperCool" in Ford's jargon -- (I know tow package 1994 1st gen's had it) at least though. Also, some have had to move the rad slightly forward for pulley/fan clearance, which may involve more significant mods like to the core support etc. Hopefully you won't have to do that.

i just used the stock 5L rad when i did mine. if i am not wrong, the 4L SOHC rad is the same thickness as the 5L rad. also if you are doing a 5L swap save yourself a lot of aggravation and reuse your 4L a/c condenser. the 4L bolts to the rad support. the 5L clips into the rad, and is a PITA to pull if you ever have to change or pull the rad

Back