1. Tip... Did you know that if you hold most smartphones sideways you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum?
    Dismiss Notice

for access to reviews and discussion of the 2016 and 2017 Ford Explorer, Tech Tips, How to Articles, Off-Road Modification, Events, and more!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Vacuum leak sound from top of engine? 1996 4.0 explorer

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by porshapower, October 15, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. porshapower

porshapower Member

City, State:
      jacksonville Florida
      Year and Model:
      1996 explorer
      I am chasing the stuttering idle and trembling of the motor at idle only. Accelerates perfect. When I stand by the engine and rev it I can hear what sounds like vaccum coming from under the black thing on top of the engine that says 4.0(intake?)I believe. I dont see any vacuum lines under there but the sound of air being sucked in when I rev it up is there and very noticeable? Normal? I have replaced plug,wires,coil,Iac,egr,dpfe sensor,cleaned map sensor,seafoam cleaner,techron,air cleaner with no change. All vacuum lines at egr and in that area are fine but if you are standing on the driver side and behind the dpfe sensor/Iac area under the black thing on top of the motor is the area of the air?? How do I check for vacuum leak??? ThanksNel:)

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 a year

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, add your own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.