EGR / Vacuum Troubles

BuffaloXplorer

The X had to go!
Reaction score
City, State
Buffalo, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Impala SS
I recently (three weeks ago) repaced the DPFE sensor & hoses in my '96 V6 and broke the two plastic vacuum tubes (green & red) entering the EGR Solonoid (cylindrical part attached just above & behind the EGR Valve). At the time, i had no way to fix it so i drove it with them broken. I finally took the initiative and talked to a tech at Ford (ouch) to check on the price of a replacement harness, who promptly told me to go to CarQuest and get bulk tubing and do it myself.

After repairing & resecuring the lines, the engine, which until this point had been running the same as it always had (even with the vacuum lines broken), started dropping revs at idle - almost to the point of stalling. I did a vacuum test on the EGR valve by applying suction to the upper inlet and it promptly resulted in a RPM drop (meaning the EGR is fine(?)). My problem lies in the vacuum system when it is completely sealed.

Did my X learn how to run without the proper vacuum? Now that the vacuum lines are fixed, do i need to drive the rough runnin' X until the computer re-learns the proper way to run? How long should this take. Do you think the solonoid (or some other vacuum related part) is the culprit? Right now, because it currently runs better, i've left the vacuum tube off of the EGR valve.

Turns out that the vacuum tubes were reversed the entire time i had the truck...all taken care of! We'll see how long the CEL stays off...

Back