Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

what can i do to my 1993 explorer to be able to tow and haul more?

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by rjsheline, August 12, 2017.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. rjsheline

rjsheline New Member

City, State:
      Hohenwald, TN
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1993 ford explorer
      what can i do to my 1993 explorer to be able to tow and haul more? My transmission has started to slip and slam into gears on me. I have had this explorer almost a year and it has been great. it was given to me w/ 96k on the odometer and now it is on 5k so who knows how many miles are really on it lol. anyways this thing is paid for already and i was wondering what i could do to get more towing and hauling power out of it. This is all I have to work with and can't afford a bigger a truck or suv right now. any suggestions would be great thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. yostyexplorer94

yostyexplorer94 1st Gen Mod Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

Media:
      City, State:
      Newburg, PA
      1994 Explorer
      Callsign:
      yosty
      I would get the transmission fixed and add a big transmission cooler at the same time. Get a transmission temp gauge to check temps while towing.
      Depending on your axle ratio, i would look into lower gearing. (3.73 or 4.10 with factory sized tires)

4. rjsheline

rjsheline New Member

City, State:
      Hohenwald, TN
      1993 ford explorer
      i have a transmission i pulled from another explorer was gonna just switch them out but i was out doing some work this evening and a guy gave me a 5.0 302 motor....i am torn as to rebuilding it and figuring out how to get it in the explorer and selling it. Is there a specific year or model i can keep an eye out for on the rear end?

5. Jason94sport

Jason94sport Well-Known Member

City, State:
      South FL
      93 Sport 2WD 5 speed
      All Explorer rear ends are the same up to 2001. 96+ have rear disks, on anything past 96 you might need to modify the brake hard lines, but that should be it. If you have a 4 door make sure to get a 4 door rear as the leaf springs are different then a sport. Though you could swap them I guess. To convert to disks you will also need the later models master cylinder.
      For towing, fix the trans, keep it cool & you can get helper springs if you need them. An X can tow, but you have to do it slow.

6. Turdle

Turdle Will cook for gas Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Humboldt, KS
      2000 Mounty
      Since the motor is the least of the needs for a v8 swap, I would suggest finding a good 98-01 v8 awd donor truck. That way you have everything needed from keys to ac to radiator to wiring harness to PCM to gauges and dash, to springs and rear axle that works with the pcm.

phew

7. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer
      As Turtle suggested the only headache free way to swap if having a donor. There's a lot more to the puzzle than the motor and trans. Also, I wouldn't bother doing the swap and then selling. You will be very unlikely to get your money back out of it.