What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 30 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

All Explorers come with blue ovals. The EXPLORER name only comes on the hood of Sports from what I've seen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Please check the ford website looks like only the Sport comes with the Explorer badge on the front hood in the pics in your link the Explorer badge looks after market add-on and even your platinum does not have the Explorer badge on the front hood. Did I miss something?
Okay, I see where I went 'off track'. When the OP mentioned "Explorer badge" I thought he was talking about the Blue Oval instead of the 'Explorer Lettering'. I even mentioned "Blue Oval" in my posts but I guess no one picked up on that. Sorry for all the confusion. Going to stand in the corner now.:(
Edit: Ted K picked up on it. Added posts at the same time.

Peter

I am quite sure that all trim levels come with the Blue Oval badges. Ever photo posted here, Sport and non Sport have the badges. I have never seen one on the road without one and that includes the latest Sport ones. The 2017 Explorer brochure I have shows them all with the Blue Oval. I think pacman9270 must have had a unique Explorer. Looks like the factory messed up.

Peter
That's exactly what the Parts guy told me. It should have had the "EXPLORER" badge on it. Someone remove it. No prob, they put it on for me. Just took a while for the part to come in. Aren't they all supposed to come with this badge?

Tried reading through this and about confused myself. I will add that the '17 XLTs with the sport appearance package also come with the 'Explorer' on the hood (so not just the Sports anymore.)

At any rate 'Alfred' is going in this morning to get the drivers and passenger side windows tinted to match (or closely match) the rest of the factory tint and the tail lights are getting tinted as well (should be somewhere between what the Sport tail lights look like and what @jonnoriega's look like.) I've been assured that with the LEDs the tail lights will still show through very well for safety.

I'll post pictures when it's done. *does a happy dance* *birthday present to myself* :)

I apologize for it being so dirty, but to be sure everything stays put I can't wash it for a few days. Here's what it looks out with the tinted tail lights and the 20% drivers/passenger window tint. Thanks to @jonnoriega for the idea of the vinyl tint on the tail lights.

Other than doing the ovals and (possibly) lowering it and then maybe running boards somewhere down the road the exterior is mostly done. That and a tune and she'll be 'finished' (but are they ever really finished? haha)

side view 2.jpg

side view.jpg

tail lights.jpg

I apologize for it being so dirty, but to be sure everything stays put I can't wash it for a few days. Here's what it looks out with the tinted tail lights and the 20% drivers/passenger window tint. Thanks to @jonnoriega for the idea of the vinyl tint on the tail lights.

Other than doing the ovals and (possibly) lowering it and then maybe running boards somewhere down the road the exterior is mostly done. That and a tune and she'll be 'finished' (but are they ever really finished? haha)

View attachment 95348

View attachment 95349

View attachment 95350

Very nice, @supr squirrel!!! Awesome! I'm replacing the front lights with a lighter film. about 75% lighter. It seems that the headlights were done too dark. They're also replacing one of them because they damaged it when they were coating my front grille. I'm also getting the front windows tinted the same as the rest of the car. It's going to cost me $125 all together. I figured, what the hell!!!

Again, nicely done! We're you in the Marine Corps? If so, Semper Fidelis and Ooh Rah, brother!!! Looking badass!!!

Very nice, @supr squirrel!!! Awesome! I'm replacing the front lights with a lighter film. about 75% lighter. It seems that the headlights were done too dark. They're also replacing one of them because they damaged it when they were coating my front grille. I'm also getting the front windows tinted the same as the rest of the car. It's going to cost me $125 all together. I figured, what the hell!!!

Again, nicely done! We're you in the Marine Corps? If so, Semper Fidelis and Ooh Rah, brother!!! Looking badass!!!

$125? You can't beat that, my man. Yeah, I was in the Marines. I was a 5954 (Air Traffic Control Communications Technician.) So, as the grunts used to say I was 'swingin' with the wing.' :p

Thanks for the compliments. Love yours as well. Maybe one day when you're passing through southern Illinois we can have a meet up or something. ;-) (And on a completely unrelated note thank God the Hawks didn't fold again last night, haha.)

$125? You can't beat that, my man. Yeah, I was in the Marines. I was a 5954 (Air Traffic Control Communications Technician.) So, as the grunts used to say I was 'swingin' with the wing.' :p

Thanks for the compliments. Love yours as well. Maybe one day when you're passing through southern Illinois we can have a meet up or something. ;-) (And on a completely unrelated note thank God the Hawks didn't fold again last night, haha.)

LOL - No kidding. I was 0481. "Red Patchers" Basic Landing Support. First Ones in Last Ones Out. 2 years active and 2 years reserve (long story). I knew I liked you for a reason! I'll actually be in St. Louis, Farmington, IL, Mt. Vernon, Bloomington, IL and then finishing up in El Paso, IL the week of 2/20 - 2/25. I'll send you a private message and maybe we can compare Explorers!!! (that didn't sound too gay, did it?) LMAO

Yeah, next for me is a tune and runners but that's later on. And as for the Blackhawks, we got to step it up big time now. Everyone's gunning for us! Again, nice ride, brother.

LOL - No kidding. I was 0481. "Red Patchers" Basic Landing Support. First Ones in Last Ones Out. 2 years active and 2 years reserve (long story). I knew I liked you for a reason! I'll actually be in St. Louis, Farmington, IL, Mt. Vernon, Bloomington, IL and then finishing up in El Paso, IL the week of 2/20 - 2/25. I'll send you a private message and maybe we can compare Explorers!!! (that didn't sound too gay, did it?) LMAO

Yeah, next for me is a tune and runners but that's later on. And as for the Blackhawks, we got to step it up big time now. Everyone's gunning for us! Again, nice ride, brother.
Awesome! A fellow Devil Dog!

And what are the odds? I live about 20 miles from Mount Vernon. Used to own a house there, but when our second boy was on the way we had an opportunity to move to the country out near her parents so we took it. And that is the week Mrs. Squirrel will be in Germany for her job. Should be able to get either my parents or hers to watch the boys for a bit so we can meet up.

And now I will end this love fest and direct everyone back to the regularly scheduled programming.

Added the WeatherTech In-Channel Window Deflectors last night.

Added the WeatherTech In-Channel Window Deflectors last night.

Do you have any problems with the windows going back down because of the sensor? I had a 2011 F150 that I put those in and the drivers window kept retracting. It was very annoying.

View attachment 95348

View attachment 95349

View attachment 95350

She looks sweet! Did you have the tint tape type stuff put on the rear lights? I was thinking of getting that for my gray 2011.

She looks sweet! Did you have the tint tape type stuff put on the rear lights? I was thinking of getting that for my gray 2011.
Thank you. :) Yep, it's a vinyl 'tint' made for doing headlights and tail lights.

Got the front windows tinted today and they re-did my smoked headlights to make it 75% lighter. I thought they used a film but they actually smoked it. There's a huge difference in brightness and I'm very happy with the work Top Coverage in Elgin, IL did.

Car is filthy after driving 1500 miles the last 10 days, but looks sweeter now. Driving another 1500 miles next week!!!
IMG_0900.JPG

IMG_0899.JPG

Next job is to get my wheels re-polished after last week's brutal curb incidences.

Looking great @jonnoriega. I like the lighter tint on the headlights. I have to ask, though. Do you have any idea what's up with the vehicle behind yours? Do they really like negative camber or is the right rear wheel just leaning up against the hub? :-D

Looking great @jonnoriega. I like the lighter tint on the headlights. I have to ask, though. Do you have any idea what's up with the vehicle behind yours? Do they really like negative camber or is the right rear wheel just leaning up against the hub? :-D

LOL - I think it's just the angle I took of the car. The car looked fine.

Year and 5 months and finally got my front windows tinted on my silver Sport.

Next up is find a nice way to mount my dual aeroforce gauges. If not I'll have to buy a single and use their defroster vent pod.

OH MAN!!!!! I can fell it way over here in Canada......wow, unfortunately these things happen sooner or later.....but I'm with you....I'd be really pissed.

Yeah, man. It was brutal. I got some touch up paint from Velgen wheels. Looks normal but when you look up close, you can see the damage. I'll get someone to buff it out when the weather is nicer. Hopefully, I'll learn to drive better LOL.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back