• Register Today It's free!

What is this thing(unit)..

Towarscke

Reaction score
City, State
Istanbul
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer V8 EB
I have Ford Explorer 96 5,0 v8 Eddie Bauer.

I am not able to take photo of it but I need information about ball shaped unit under air filter; right front side of car; Back of right headlight?

2 thin pipe coming in it. 1 of them connected to engines bigger wacuuming pipes under intake manifold cap..

What is it, What its purpose? Connections of this thing are important to know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vacuum reservoir. Hoses are from the front of the intake and go to the inside ventilation duct control dampers and to the heater control valve. The ball has a check valve in it so that when you are accelerating enough vacuum remains so your ducts keep the air flow where you have set it.

Vacuum reservoir. Hoses are from the front of the intake and go to the inside ventilation duct control dampers and to the heater control valve. The ball has a check valve in it so that when you are accelerating enough vacuum remains so your ducts keep the air flow where you have set it.

Yep. This.

Thank you... There is my second question related..

So....

Comes from the reservoir(ball shaped thing) and goes to metal pipes under intake manifold cap.. Thats ok; but 2nd hose comes from left of the car and joining it with "Y" type joint at front of the intake manifold. Well; what if 2nd hose disabled? What will be the result in short or long term.?

That 2nd hose was cut. there was no end to an unit or reservoir. At "Y" type hose joint, was vacuuming air from nowhere.. is it effect my car?

should I need to leave it open(vacuuming) or close it as blocked?

Thank you... There is my second question related..

So....

Comes from the reservoir(ball shaped thing) and goes to metal pipes under intake manifold cap.. Thats ok; but 2nd hose comes from left of the car and joining it with "Y" type joint at front of the intake manifold. Well; what if 2nd hose disabled? What will be the result in short or long term.?

That 2nd hose was cut. there was no end to an unit or reservoir. At "Y" type hose joint, was vacuuming air from nowhere.. is it effect my car?

am I need to leave it open(vacuuming) or close it as bloked?

It's okay to disconnect. just plug the ends or you suck unmonitored air into the engine and throw lean CEL codes and your HVAC controls will not work correctly.
You can repair the broken line by using a piece of rubber vacuum tubing to form a splice.

It's okay to disconnect. just plug the ends or you suck unmonitored air into the engine and throw lean CEL codes and your HVAC controls will not work correctly.
You can repair the broken line by using a piece of rubber vacuum tubing to form a splice.

[MENTION=186147]koda2000[/MENTION]

Well If I can understand where it should be connected, I would like to fix it.
I am using this forum to understand the way. I am a Turkish person and I am trying to be kind and I love my car. I also want to make it original as possible as I can; to prepare it to my future child. Sorry if I am externalize it wrongly by using wrong words.

Please make me understand where should it be connected to, according to information. It seems that hose was old and it disconnected somewhere I don't know..

I just blocked vacuuming air by using some tapes temporarily 3 days ago. In meanwhile I am not using my car till I find out how I can fix it.

Not: Edit applied to my second posts end.. It may cause "misunderstood". (should I?)

Back