What t-case will work with C4 trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What t-case will work with C4 trans?

2'91fords

Reaction score
City, State
los angeles
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer sport
I am getting the parts together to do an sas and v8 swap on my '91 sport. i have a rebuilt mustang C4 that i want to use, but i don't know what t-case will fit, or if i can even bolt a t-case on it since it came from a 2wd vehicle. any info?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the C4 is from a 2WD you won't be able to hook it up to the bolt on transfer case "as is".

In the older F series pickups they ran a C4 with a remote New Process Transfer case (235 I believe). This required an intermediate shaft from the trans to the T case. The ones I'm referring to are the mid '70's trucks. I've got several '75 - '78 F250's, all manuals though, all with remote T cases. I've taken T cases out of automatics of the same year and they were remote as well.

If I remember correctly the later ('80's & '90's) F150's ran a C4 and directly mounted T case, but this would require having the correct C4 case to allow the direct bolt up. You may be able to get the correct tail housing from the wreckers to do your swap when you pick up your T case.

I have not been inside a c4 in many years, but it will take more than a tail housing swap to bolt a t-case to it. The tail shaft will have to be swapped as well. That means total dissasembly of the transmission (almost).

I would assume the divorced t-case he mentioned would work with a 2WD trans. I have never been around one though.

the C5 equipped Rangers and BII's had a early version of the BW1350 T case I believe.

But as mentioned your 2wd trans will need a new output shaft and talhousing in order to bolt up to any T case. This gets expensive real fast, you can likely get the parts from a C5 to use in the rebuild.

I wonder if the output shaft and tailhousiong frmo a A4LD would work? Glacier? the A4LD was derived fromt he same trans as the C4/C5, the good ol C3 pinto automatic. The A4LD was basically this with an added overdrive.

To make it real simple,... sell the C4, forget the C4 altogether and go with C6/1356 T-case combo or AOD/1356 combo that sat behind early 80's Ford fullsize with a 5.0L. It will be cheaper than collecting and swaping parts...

Yeah, i think i'm gonna start lookn for that c6 at the wrecking yard. thanks for the info!

C6 is larger = you will lose a bit more power through it, jsut FYI. Even though it is a GREAT transmission

Back