rookieshooter

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Martinsburg WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
84 BII "Li'l Samson"
Ok in about 8 weeks I'm going to start the tranny build. I researched it but still not sure what I should do. Here is what got. I'm dumping the AOD. that I was going to use. Heard too many horror stories. What I have is the original c5 out of the b11 along with transfer case. But I do not have bellhousing. I keep hearing that the c4 is the better tranny then the c5. I read that the only differance is that the c5 torque converter locks up. What bellhousing would I use for the 302 v8, c5 or c4? If the c4 is better, do I take off the c5 tailshaft and put it on the c4 so I can use the transfer case. Hopefully I would not use any adapters. :confused: Then to really muddy up the water, somewhere I read that you can put the better c4 parts in a c5 case.

this is for the B11 build. Also I have a 164 tooth flywheel that was originaly with the AOD tranny that came with the doner 302

your C5 has the same case as a C4, so if you are going to have it built they will rebuild it using all the updated C4 parts. That is my understanding.
The C5 is simply a version of the C4 with a removeable bellhousing so it could be used behind the 2.8L 60 degree V6. so basically I would trade my C5 into the trans shop as a core and get yourself a built c4 with the 5.0L bellhousing.
the c5 tailhousing would allow you to bolt up a BW1350 or 54 t case.

Back