Would you buy a diesel X? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Would you buy a diesel X?

Would you be interested in a diesel X?

• Yes, sign me up today

Votes: 139 72.0%
  • Maybe, but fuel availability makes me leary

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • I'm interested in the torque and mpg's but don't like the smell/smoke

Votes: 19 9.8%
  • $2000 is too much even if the payback is less than 2 years

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Not at all, mpg's and trailering are not important to me

Votes: 17 8.8%

• Total voters
i said sign me up today.. but i'd rather have the engine and put it in my x also. i don't want to have to start all over witha new x.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last summer I saw a guy driving on I-80 outside of Joliet in a 2002 Explorer. I remeber this because it was the first one of them that I had seen on the road. It had dealer plates, but the weird/cool thing was that written under the fuel door was (in big letters) DIESEL ONLY.

I am positive that this was an Explorer, but I couldn't actually hear the engine because we were going at highway speeds. I wonder if they already have a diesel version of the Explorer.

In any case, an FYI on the topic of Diesel Explorers.

Dave

I WOULD LOVE A DIESEL!!!!!!!

I'm in. But it needs to be a Super Duty X. Solid Axles front and rear and manual hubs for starters....

we can all dream can't we:smoke:

Alright, now that it has been brought up in a couple posts time for someone to do the swap!:D

the newer diesels are quieter and more efficient and it doesnt seem that you the big black rearend on them like older diesels did. and around here the gas stations try to trick you by posting a big sign that has diesel price first as if it were regular octane and it is always at least .25 cheaper than gas.
i saw a vintage model explorer in va beach va that had cummins badges on the fenders. he was an older phillipino guy and he was really cool i wish i kept up with him but that was before i was active on these boards.

I'd be interested in one, but there would have to be a turbo option, and solid axles front and rear for me to even think about getting rid of mine.:D

The New diesels

Well,
My Dad's company, Robert Bosch Co., is part of a group of companies working with auto manufactures to create new, cleaner burning diesel powered cars and trucks. over in eurpoe, the diesels have come along way since those old, loud, diesels that people remember with black smoke coming out of the tail pipe and all. Currently my Dad just picked up a 2002 Volvo S80 that was imported from Germany as a promotional vehicle along with 20 other diesel cars and truck that his company imported for this year. Other diesels imported include some Jeep Grand Cherokees and other Volvos.
The purpose of them bringing these cars is to display them and give people the opportunity to see how far diesel powered vehicles have come and all the advantages of owning a diesel vehicle.
When he brought this car home, I had expected what most people expect when they think of diesel. I expected that distinctive kakle they make and the vibration they tend to have. I must say, inside the vehicle.I turned on the key, expecting to see that little light come on that says "Wait to start", but with the new technology, there is no need to wait for glow plugs to heat. It just started right up. As I drove, I would never have known it was a diesel, except that it redlines at like 4,500 RPM. The power it makes (especially with the turbo and intercooling system) is just as good or maybe even better then the gas equivlent. i think that by far, the largest advantage with a diesel engine is the fuel economy.my Dad just got the car a month and a half ago, but already has a lot of mile son it due to his work. Average city/high mixed driving (with a heavier foot then most people) is in the 32-34 MPG range and on the highway cruising at 70 MPH his best milage was 44.2 MPG. on the inside, there is no annoying vibrations or noise and on the outside, there is no smoke or fumes emmitted from the tail pipe. Many people can tell that distinctive smell of a diesel vehcile's exhaust, but the exhaust on this Volvo smells like steam coming out of a coffee pot. There are no fumes at all, and the emissions on the new diesels are in some cases cleaner then the gasoline powered vehicles.
People who are against diesels may see a semi-truck driving down the highway pouring out black smoke and say that is their reason to not want a diesel vehcile. The only thing they don;t think about is all those other semis that you see on the road that do not smoke are still diesel. Unfortunatly these days the government is requiring tighter restrictions on diesel vehicles, while still using a low grade of diesel fuel all across the country. Over in Europe, they burn a much higher quality fuel, and since the Volvo my Dad got is built to run on that fuel, he has to add a Cetane booster stuff to his fuel tank.
Anyway, I believe once the general public starts to learn of the new diesels and the excellent fuel economy they offer, I believe that they will begin to opt for the diesel engines. Once more diesel engines sell her ein the US....more and more cars will begin to get diesels.
If anyone is interested in any more information about the new technologies for diesels, or if you want to find out where you can see one of these diesles, let me know and i'll relay the message to my Dad.

Re: The New diesels

Originally posted by 01EB5.0
Well,
My Dad's company, Robert Bosch Co., is part of a group of companies working with auto manufactures to create new, cleaner burning diesel powered cars and trucks.

If anyone is interested in any more information about the new technologies for diesels, or if you want to find out where you can see one of these diesles, let me know and i'll relay the message to my Dad.

VERY INTERESTED!

I will begin co-op'ing for Robert Bosch Co. in Charleston, SC in January. I will be in the common rail fuel delievery group ~ so I'm sure I'll see all sorts of diesels!

As for a diesel Explorer ~ Oh heck yeah! 4x4's need TQ not HP. Trucks were made to be hard working, not to go fast! Give me a diesel over gas anyday.

Well, I doubt it'll happen. I know a good while back they were talking about a smaller diesel in the F-150 (makes more sense in that than an explorer) and it was proposed to have met or would meet the stricter emissions comming in o7 er whenever it is. Shot down, didn't happen. I think that was supposed to be for the 04 or 05 model. After looking at how things are going with the sploders, i retract my previous post from awhile ago and would say no, i wouldn't want one.

Originally posted by RFR2212
Well, I doubt it'll happen. I know a good while back they were talking about a smaller diesel in the F-150 (makes more sense in that than an explorer) and it was proposed to have met or would meet the stricter emissions comming in o7 er whenever it is. Shot down, didn't happen. I think that was supposed to be for the 04 or 05 model. After looking at how things are going with the sploders, i retract my previous post from awhile ago and would say no, i wouldn't want one.

It was shot down because they were trying to cut 2 cyl off the powerstroke block and make the engine work, but it ended up baing a failure...so we may still see at least F150, if not Explorer diesels in several years, but they have to create an engine first...which takes time.

I've thought about this before and....A DIESEL X WOULD BE AWESOME...diesels really arent that loud, only when cold. My dad's F-250 is very quiet on the highway. Hardly hear it.

Unfortunately i can't find the thread, but at rrorc.com they disappear frequently. IIRC Dale a long time board memeber there, and here (racinhound i think) went to some ford concept meeting by invite regarding the diesel, and it was proposed at the time a 4cyl model... Not a 6cyl... and that in the end was shot down because too many people believed that it was not going to be good enough under the new emissions rules. All in all, I doubt it'll happen anytime soon, and if it does, i doubt it'll be a result of this board. There have been issues that many have stood behind here, and have gone straight to Ford engineers and others, and the idea blew away in the wind. I see it as a lost cause.

Originally posted by RFR2212
I see it as a lost cause.

If gas prices keep climbing, diesel will be the way of the future. If you've ever been to Europe, you will see that EVERY auto manufacturer has a diesel option for every car made. They make great tq, mpg's, and are cleaner burning now. Bosch advertises all the time about the future of direct diesel injection and what it can produce.

The old school days of Mercedes's diesels that could be heard for miles are gone.

thats so true. DIesels of today are much quieter. As I said, my Dad's Volvo S80 diesel does not sould like a diesel, does not smell like a diesel and people say diesels are slow, but if you hve traction control off, that big car can still squeal the tires and take off pretty quick.

I dont; think this board will make for get a diesel explorer....I think the competition will. if Chrysler has several diesel cars and trucks, Chevy and Ford are going to follow also. Simply for the savings in fuel. My Dad;s S80 gets about 35 MPG average.....thats a lot higher then the gas version of the same car. He has also had the gas milage get as high as like 45 or 48 on a 6 hour trip on the highway.

My neighbor has a 2000 FOrd E350 super duty with the 7.3 powerstroke, and even when hauling 6,000 pounds he still says he averaged 24 MPG (And this is when it had 650,000 miles on the engine)....i know the V-10 gas equivlent would get half that, if you are luckey.

ABSOUTLY

As long as I can keep my Four Wheel Drive, If it is possible and it is a FORD motor (especially if it is a TURBO Diesel. I will buy one. If someone knows where I can get one, how I can do it. Still get lots and lots of miles out of my ex (Not tear the tranny and Transfer case slam up in less than 300k) I will do it.

I'll pay

I'll pay another $5,000 and put one in mine. But there is the stipulation it HAS to be a GEN 2 4x4. I will not buy a Gen 3. If someone comes up with one about 2.5" higher off the ground and I can STILL do a TT and Shackles I MIGHT consider a Gen 3. If not, forget it.

Diesels stink! Almost no one I know who owns one has it serviced at the proper intervals. Without proper servicing they pollute the air more than conventional engines. When you ride behind one that is not properly serviced you could choke to death if you're asthmatic or have any pulmonary problems. I think they should ban them in passenger vehicles.

The old diesels may have an odor associated with them, but the new diesels...the ones they currently use overseas, and the new ones that will be introduced in America, make less noise and have no more odor then a gasoline powered vehicle.

What you said is true of any vehicle though. If the user does not have it serviced, the engine will pollute and smell. Gasoline powered vehicles do the same if not taken care of. i have seen gas vehicles blowing out thick smoke and smell bad, but people just keep using them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the Pacific countries ford has a model called the ford everest. Looks like an X, has a 4cyl diesel engine, and turbo option. Don't know specs.

Back