• Register Today It's free!

Xcalibrator 2 questions

keato7

Reaction score
City, State
Topeka, Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
I was wondering if I bought a used xcalibrator2 off ebay that's tuned for a different vehicle, can I get it tuned for my X?? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I've searched and it seems that you can but this is a kind of insurance so I don't waste my money. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

as long as it has been unlocked from the last vehicle it was used to program, you should be fine

inh said:
as long as it has been unlocked from the last vehicle it was used to program, you should be fine

That's a big "if". If the seller didn't return his vehicle to stock, you're hooped. Might want to double check with them. If they didn't, you'd need to send it back to them, get it returned to stock and then back to you. Returning to stock prevents one flasher from being used to program more than one vehicle at a time.

Thanks

WOW thanks for the quick replies, I'm talking to the seller right now so we'll see what turns up. Thanks again

do any of you guys have the Xcal 2? i thought they werent interchangable becuase when i got mine they asked for my engine size, transimission type, gear size, tire size, and most imprtantly the computer chip code found under your hood on the sticker. if all these things are identical with your explorer then it should work fine.

not to hijack, but is it possible to use this programmer to change the fuel trims for the entire rpm band? the desription i read says "WOT".

sikamikanico816 said:
do any of you guys have the Xcal 2? i thought they werent interchangable becuase when i got mine they asked for my engine size, transimission type, gear size, tire size, and most imprtantly the computer chip code found under your hood on the sticker. if all these things are identical with your explorer then it should work fine.

I have an XC2 (and have used it with 2 different Explorers). You CANNOT make your XC2 work with another vehicle "as is" because it's locked to a specific vehicle. Before it can be re-burned, it needs to be "returned to stock" and then a SCT dealer can set it up for the new vehicle. It "might" work if you had two different vehicles with the same PCM code (low probability of that happening).

I've talked to the seller and he said he has reset his vehicle back to stock. So would I have to physically send it to the dealer or would they be able to send me the tunes via e-mail. I've sent an e-mail to Hypnotic Illusions since they are the original tuners but since it's not in business hours I don't expect a return email for a day or two. On a side note what would a reasonable price be for a used one? Thanks again.

You need to send it back to Wayne (Hypnotic). I think any SCT dealer can do the re-burn.

Can you use a XC2 just to change computer settings in a vehicle like tire sizes without locking it to that vehicle?

Back