Yanking the Chip

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
Well, it has been two weeks since I contacted the dyno shop and they cannot get the Diablosport guy to call them back.

At this point I have to agree with all of you, chips sucked when they came out in the 80's and they suck today. I am seriously considering yanking this chip and stepping up to an X-Calibrator, like I should have done in the first place. Only thing that has held me back was the $600 that I invested in the chip, tuning time and dyno time.

Stay tuned :salute:
What a freakin waste.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One thing that puzzles me though, the chip has three settings- Hi, Low and off. They can be controlled with a toggle switch that is mounted under the dash. If I turn the switch to the off position, the truck runs worse, the problems seem to almost magnify a bit.

If the chip was causing the problems wouldn't they disappear when I turned it off or do I have to have it completely removed from my PCM?

When I do remove this what is the best way to go as far as a tuner? I went over to Bama and they have new products that look really good, but they all seem to be for the Mustang or other models. I could not find the old X-Cal that sold for around $300?

Could someone provide a link or suggestion to a good tuning calibrator.

Thanks

One thing that puzzles me though, the chip has three settings- Hi, Low and off. They can be controlled with a toggle switch that is mounted under the dash. If I turn the switch to the off position, the truck runs worse, the problems seem to almost magnify a bit.

If the chip was causing the problems wouldn't they disappear when I turned it off or do I have to have it completely removed from my PCM?

When I do remove this what is the best way to go as far as a tuner? I went over to Bama and they have new products that look really good, but they all seem to be for the Mustang or other models. I could not find the old X-Cal that sold for around $300?

Could someone provide a link or suggestion to a good tuning calibrator.

Thanks

Yank that chip out completely.

To get a Bama Chips tuner, you order from Explorer Express. Call them and tell them what you want and Doug programs it. Thats what I would do.

James Henson ( http://www.hensonperformance.com/ ) is also an SCT dealer and can help you.

By the way X cal II is more than $300.

Whats the advantage of ordering it from EE over ordering it directly from BamaChips?

I moved this to the chip section!

-Drew

Thanks Aldive for the reference! I really appreciate it. The computer doesn't care chip or flasher it is what is put into them. Software etc. There have been many problems with the j-ports not being enabled on the Explorer, so this is the reason for the flasher being the most common of the tuning options.Cheers-james

The ability to e-mail updates on a flash tuner make them well worth the extra $.

Back