Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another T-Cases to mount to the V8 Thread

EDIT 6/30/05: I have successfully installed a BW4406 from a Ford Expedition. Pictures of the install begin on page 8 of the thread.

Pages 1 - 7 are research for the swap.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK. I want to really nail this down. I would like to get 4low in my V8 Mountaineer, with 6bolt, 31spline 4R70W.

I DON'T NEED AN ATLAS!!

Since this is the same transmission pattern that is used in the fullsized trucks such as the Bronco and F150 a t-case should be able to be found that mates up. What t-cases were used?

The real problem will be fitting? I know the older F150s and Broncos used the BW1356, and the BW1345 in manual versions. Does anyone have the demensions? What about the newer 4406 T-case from the expedition?

As used behind the full size Bronco:
NP208, Part time, chain, 2.61:1, 80-86
BW1345, Part time, chain, 2.72:1, 80-88
BW1356, Part time, chain, 2.69:1, 87-96

As used behind the F150:
BW4406 (Electronic, Electronic w/control-trac clutch, Manual)
BW1356 (Electronic, Manual)
BW1345 (Manual)
NP208 (Manual)
NP205 (Manual)

What about other creative solutions?

I'm looking for cheap cost as well as simplicity. Wiring is no problem if the t-case is electric. Fabbing a shifter shouldn't be too hard. I don't want to go the route of putting in an expensive advanced adaptors conversion and using a 1354 or 4405 control trac. That's over 500 for the adapter, and at least 150 to get the tailshaft installed in the tranny. There has to be a better way!

I'm posting this for two reasons: 1) I realy want 4low. I don't need AWD. 2) My front driveshaft took a crap, transfer case is acting weird. Rather than replace, I'd like to replace that stupid CV joint and AWD t-case.

To make things more complicated, my 97 has the VSS in the t-case tailshaft ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes the BII, Gen I explorer, Ranger 4x4 shift controller (1354 t case) is a stand alone GEM module, it only gets one input from the PCM and a couple from the trans/and or clutch 3 pos switch.

This is why I was saying you could likely add this computer to a later model truck, and if needed to rid of the TOD Gem module features I guess you need a 2wd Gem from your year.

Uncharted waters here just a bit, but nothing we couldnt tackle.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

CougarX said:
There are no speed sensors to dangle on a non-TOD 4406, there is simply no pin on the wiring harness that would connect to the wiring for the speed sensors. Would this still give it a "zero" signal?

Also, isn't there a neutral tow kit available for explorers that unlocks the 2nd position (between 2hi and 4 low) on a stock explorer? This would be the 4-high position on a 4406.

It would take some creativity. It might even shift without the sensors. I have pondered the NTK, but never did any research. However, thinking back, I'm not sure the 4405 "N" position is in the same position as "4406 4hi"

I'm curious, why so much interested in a non-tod electric case? why not use use the tod system (it mechanically locks 4low, bypassing the clutch) or a mechanical case.

410Fortune said:
yes the BII, Gen I explorer, Ranger 4x4 shift controller (1354 t case) is a stand alone GEM module, it only gets one input from the PCM and a couple from the trans/and or clutch 3 pos switch.

This is why I was saying you could likely add this computer to a later model truck, and if needed to rid of the TOD Gem module features I guess you need a 2wd Gem from your year.

Uncharted waters here just a bit, but nothing we couldnt tackle.

This seems like the best route, we just need to find out what inputs the t-case controller needs. My guess is neutral, speed, power, switch. Should be easy to tap into on a later model X.

Aaron - I see that you have had it in there for about 8 months now, Any Updates? I have been looking into doing this for myself, but was curious about one thing. Do you not have a 4hi? I see that you have 2wd(brown wire), 4wd auto, and 4wd low, but you guys had been talking about a nuetral tow kit in order to gain 4hi. Anything is helpful.

yamaman101 said:
Aaron - I see that you have had it in there for about 8 months now, Any Updates? I have been looking into doing this for myself, but was curious about one thing. Do you not have a 4hi? I see that you have 2wd(brown wire), 4wd auto, and 4wd low, but you guys had been talking about a nuetral tow kit in order to gain 4hi. Anything is helpful.

Updates...

It works great! I love having 2wd for gas miliage, 4 auto for snow and rain, 4hi for extreme slippery, and 4low for off-road.

I am also still running the F150 front driveshaft. The vibrations aren't bad at all, and a custom CV jointed shaft is a lot of $$$.

Man I wanna do this to my 96, will likely try to go with a manual case to avoid the wiring, especially if it wont work with the 96 GEM.

What are my options as far as getting the front vacuum disco for the IFS?

Swap the whole thing out? Add the feature to my current front end?

By your response I am guessing that you do have a true 4x4 hi...either way I think that it is time for me to start collecting some parts...thanks Aaron

what would a parts list look like on a 2000 model V8 , Im confused on the need to run a GEM from the same year model ????

So I have just read this entire thread and a good majority of the links but im still undecided on what to do. i think my t case is on the way out. I would like a low range on a budget.

I have a 96 limted 5.0 awd with a 3"BL 1.5"TT and shackles with 33" swamper tsl.
I like the idea of the 4406 but not the idea of putting in a sport tank. Do you think it would be possible to fit seens how I have the BL, could I just move the front mount for the gas tank? I would need a 97 GEM correct?

is there a better transfer case to go with (while staying 31 spline) I do not want to tear into my tranny aswell. Could this be done in a weekend? My x is my daily driver and I need it to get to school.

410Fortune said:
Man I wanna do this to my 96, will likely try to go with a manual case to avoid the wiring, especially if it wont work with the 96 GEM.

What are my options as far as getting the front vacuum disco for the IFS?

Swap the whole thing out? Add the feature to my current front end?

Theoretically, you might be able to use a 97 GEM in a 96. You could also just do some clever wiring to make a 97 GEM work.

If you do want vacuum disconnect, then you can get a vacuum disco front end from a yard and bolt it in. You'll also need the actuator, etc. I bet these are cheap, they are just sitting in the trucks in the yards around me.

-Aaron

pgdsm said:
I have the BL, could I just move the front mount for the gas tank? .... Could this be done in a weekend? My x is my daily driver and I need it to get to school.

1) If you were clever at fabbing brackets and welding, and didn't mind hacking uo your frame, you might be able to move the gas tank upwards. People have talked about the subject on here before, but the general concencious by anyone who has really studied the underside of an Exploreris that it's impossible due to crossmembers on the frame that are directly above the gas tank.

2) If you had all the parts, some help, a good auto parts store, and have R/R a t-case and driveshafts before, you can get it done. If you are a shade tree mechanic, make plans for an alternate vehicle.

Well I took good look at a 4406 and the frame a gas tank on my X and its possible to ake it fit but not worth the amount of time and effort that would go into it. Though I am good at fabbing up parts (Im a welder). Iam going to try to get all th parts before never done a t/c but have done many driveshafts. I just hope the jnk yard take it easy on me for the parts. I went into one the oter day to get the radio bezel with 4x4 switch and they wanted $120 for it. I am budgting like 800-1000

Okay anyone that could help I need it

I have just found all the parts for a really good price but still have some questions

The GEM which do I need for a 96 explorer? a 96 97 or 98 v6 4x4 do I need the torque relay out of the expedition or explorer? Do I even need it?
I do not care about awd or 4 auto
I will do the brown wire mod and just want 2wd 4x4 hi and 4x4 low
the options I have for GEM are 96 97 or 99 which should I go for?

You have the "oddball" case - the 97 style front axle in a truck with 96 wiring. My best advice is to experiment. If I was in your shoes, I'd buy the 97 GEM because if it works - you're done. If it does not work, you can either:

1) Try to re-pin the GEM to work with your 96 electronics. Bust out the wiring diagrams, your multi-meter and crimp tool.

2) Get a 96 GEM and the vacuum electronic acutator and see if you can fool the GEM into thinking it works.

3) All electronics, including the relays, need to come from the V6 explorers.

oh another question I had
The slip yoke on the rear driveshaft. You said you got it off of a navigator with airsuspension
I am getting one from a navigator 5.4 with air ride but it does not have a compresable driveshaft, however the shaft coming out of transfer case looks as though it goes in and out. Is this the same as it was on yours?
also do you know where I could get the vaccum electronic actuator schematics? I am not sure its function or how it works.
Also where is it located on the vehicle so I can grab one to make it work

pgdsm said:
oh another question I had
The slip yoke on the rear driveshaft. You said you got it off of a navigator with airsuspension
I am getting one from a navigator 5.4 with air ride but it does not have a compresable driveshaft, however the shaft coming out of transfer case looks as though it goes in and out. Is this the same as it was on yours?
also do you know where I could get the vaccum electronic actuator schematics? I am not sure its function or how it works.
Also where is it located on the vehicle so I can grab one to make it work

1) The rear driveshaft does indeed go "in and out" of the rear of the t-case, the driveshaft itself is a fixed length.

2) The schematics should be avilible in the Ford OEM repair CD, or any other shop manual. Search this site.

3) I am not sure where the soldenoids for the vac disco are located. Trace the hoses when you visit your yard, or ask someoene on the board who has a 95-96.

well I just paid for all the stuff today minus the gastank. I am trying a 99 to see if I can get it to work ( i will have to repin but hopefully it will be easy)
any tips??
if that does not work I can exchane it for the 96 GEM no questions asked.

Hate to tell ya dude, but I would head back to the yard and swap that 99 GEM right out. In 1998, Ford totally re-did the vehicle electrical system, including what type of signals are sent to the GEM. The 99 won't work in your truck, period.

As I have said dozens of times before, people with 96 trucks should try the 1997 GEM first!!

First off congrates on the swap and write up. :thumbsup: It was one of the best I've read. I'm in those "Unchartered Waters" myself. I'm in the process of converting my 96 EX Sport from a V6 auto control trac 4x4 into a V8 auto 4X4. I want to keep it control trac with out going the AA to BW4405 route and still keep everything elt. The way you describe the BW4406 sounds like the way I should go. If I'm reading this right both the driveshafts I have now will work, I'll have to move the front gas tank mount back, and shave some metal off the top of the TC. Not sure of the wireing set up for 4X4 controls? I'v already got the V8, auto trans, wireing harness, computer from doner 96 UL EX. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Hope to do a write up for this web site when I start this project. :D

Back