want to get rid of the automatic t-case and go to manual | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want to get rid of the automatic t-case and go to manual

ReDLiNeZL

Reaction score
City, State
Lancaster PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4DR
i have a 1st gen 94 with d44 early bronco front rear.... so is this possible? just unplug the old transfer case remove the bolts and drop it.. and cut a hole in the floor and bolt up new manual t case?? is there a specific year i need to use or will any old 80's-90's ranger, bronco II work??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You pretty much got it. Just unplug the old one, unbolt it, and then bolt up a manual and cut a hole in the floor for a shifter. A BW1354 will bolt up from any first gen explorer, also some rangers and BII's, too, but don't guote me on that.

You pretty much got it. Just unplug the old one, unbolt it, and then bolt up a manual and cut a hole in the floor for a shifter. A BW1354 will bolt up from any first gen explorer, also some rangers and BII's, too, but don't guote me on that.

ok cool b/c i really wana get rid of this automatic t-case, idk if anyone would want it or trade me for a manual one or not

I've seen someone convert a electric to manual somewhere maybe therangerstation. I'm not shure abought swaping cases I would assume a manual case from a ranger would work. Search i'm shure it has been done here.

I took a manual from an ranger and put in my 91 ex with no problem

You boys need to do some research. There is plenty of info on it here. You can't use any tcase from an Ranger or B2, it has to be a 1354 which came behind 4.0s. They are really hard to find. If you use one that came behind a 2.9 or 3.0 or 2.4 it will be a 1350 which has a slip yoke on the front output and will be more trouble than it is worth. I did the 1354 swap on mine. I also got the wiring to work. There is a thread on it maybe if you search for threads started by me you can find it.

You dont need to cut a hole in the floor, grab the shifter floor plates and everything from the donor truck and it will bolt right into any explorer floor. They all have holes in the floor but autos have a plate bolted in.

You boys need to do some research. There is plenty of info on it here. You can't use any tcase from an Ranger or B2, it has to be a 1354 which came behind 4.0s. They are really hard to find. If you use one that came behind a 2.9 or 3.0 or 2.4 it will be a 1350 which has a slip yoke on the front output and will be more trouble than it is worth. I did the 1354 swap on mine. I also got the wiring to work. There is a thread on it maybe if you search for threads started by me you can find it.

Close...

The 1354 came around midway thru the 1990 model year (which coincides with the introduction of the 4.0L, but was used on ALL engines after that date), together with the D35 front axle. Manual ones are definitely not as common as electrics though, as they were a "delete" option for the otherwise standard auto crap.

As was mentioned, everything is bolt-up if you get all the parts.

He's right, in the doubler swaps the front case being a 1350 bolts right up to the a4ld. D-shaft length may be different but its ok.

It's no problem converting for an auto trans. The boot is the problem. Most manual trans. have the boot with them. So, when taking an M5OD (manual trans) and tying it to the manual transfer case, you will need the double hole boot. Thats the problem, they no longer make the boot. If you come across one with the double boot let me know. Thanks

Back