Your thoughts and Opinions on Building a 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Your thoughts and Opinions on Building a 5.0

Lets say it is a Daily Driver 99-01 5.0L (explorer motor) that is getting rebuilt & the owner is concerned a stroker kit will affect mileage - Truth to it?

If a stroker motor is out of the subject, what could be done to the motor while keeping the stock displacement and adding good power in the low end? Lighter weight rotating assembly with Camshaft/rocker arm upgrades?

A kenne bell blower sounds nice as well...

What would you guys do?

If i ever swap a 5.0 in my ranger it would be rebuilt (of course) but i would want something that GOES (feels peppy) while still getting respectable mileage. I have often though about a 331 stroker, but wouldnt that hurt mileage? Or am i way off? If there aren't too many options avalible i'd just rebuild the explorer motor with a decent cam, roller rockers and slap a kenne bell on it, but i want to hear you guys' opinion on the subject!

Thanks,

Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stroking an engine = higher piston speed= better fuel economy--given all else is the same.

Just a thought--

or--think of it as using the same amount of force on a longer wrench, you get more leverage with a longer stroke

I had heard that it can be better and worse for fuel econmy, depending on how the rest of the engine is set-up.

How does a stroker compare to a stock 5.0 with a roots style supercharger?

From what i understand the roots style supercharger greatly helps the bottom end making the motor feel very "peppy"

Stroking an engine = higher piston speed= better fuel economy--given all else is the same.

Just a thought--

or--think of it as using the same amount of force on a longer wrench, you get more leverage with a longer stroke

Mind if i ask what kind of mileage you get from stock 302 to your 347?

I wish i could just take it for a spin, im sure that would answer most of my questions :D

Mind if i ask what kind of mileage you get from stock 302 to your 347?

I wish i could just take it for a spin, im sure that would answer most of my questions :D

When trying for economy--I drive 68 MPH as indicated by my speedometer. I try not to downshift when passing, and baby the skinny pedal. I commonly get over 20 MPG on the highway.
with a performance setup-you really need to be on top of it for city economy. Any playing around with throttle blips will drink the gas like crazy. But if you drive it like your grandmother would-you should notice an increase.
I know my torque converter has impacted my city economy in a negative way-but on the highway it locks and performs as a stock one would.
Something to consider.

Good info.

Im not looking for mileage gains, i just dont want to see it much worse than a stock 5.0 would be. I only get 13-14 city driving with my SOHC.

Im just looking for more power with respectable mileage. The question still remains - keep stock displacement with a few internal upgrades supercharged OR no boost and a mild engine build...

I"ve had the immense pleasure of driving Jon's mounty, and after one touch of the skinny pedal, you won't care to much about gas mileage. And that's with only 60% throttle.:burnout: x100

Good info.

Im not looking for mileage gains, i just dont want to see it much worse than a stock 5.0 would be. I only get 13-14 city driving with my SOHC.

Im just looking for more power with respectable mileage. The question still remains - keep stock displacement with a few internal upgrades supercharged OR no boost and a mild engine build...

wow my 5.0 awd gets better then that, driving city i get 15.6

Since no one else has mentioned this I will.

If you stroke a 5.0 Explorer or Mountaineer engine you will have to get the crank custom balanced as these engines use a 50 oz balancer & all the aftermarket cranks are 28 oz balance.

You must retain the stock 50 oz balancer on the Explorer/Mountaineer engine due to them using DIS. The balancer and trigger for the DIS is all one piece.

Since no one else has mentioned this I will.

If you stroke a 5.0 Explorer or Mountaineer engine you will have to get the crank custom balanced as these engines use a 50 oz balancer & all the aftermarket cranks are 28 oz balance.

You must retain the stock 50 oz balancer on the Explorer/Mountaineer engine due to them using DIS. The balancer and trigger for the DIS is all one piece.

CHP sells stroker packages in whatever balance you want. They also claim their 347e stroker will make 330fwhp with stock heads- this is assuming you have a free flowing exhaust(TM headers). You would probably need a slightly higher stall converter too, but as long as it was a locking unit your highway mileage wouldn't be affected.

the stroker will give you the low end grunt too, everything else you do to a 5.0 will just add on to the top end and minimal gains on the bottom.

The only good way to get true low end is displacement.

although you can fake yourself out with gears.

Guys I just have one question, since this is a winsor block why not go to the 351 stroke? is there something limiting this explorer engine?

or is the block redisigned in a way that prohibits this?

the stroker will give you the low end grunt too, everything else you do to a 5.0 will just add on to the top end and minimal gains on the bottom.

The only good way to get true low end is displacement.

although you can fake yourself out with gears.

Guys I just have one question, since this is a winsor block why not go to the 351 stroke? is there something limiting this explorer engine?

or is the block redisigned in a way that prohibits this?

The 351w's deck height, and oil pump depth-are too much of a squeeze. Keeping the obdII electronics is a challenge, because of the camshaft position sensor. There are several more issues-
It can be done-but only by a master fabricator and a good month of work-

cool thanks, I figured it would be something like that. It would be a fun project though, well for someone who actually has money for stuff like that :D

CHP sells stroker packages in whatever balance you want. They also claim their 347e stroker will make 330fwhp with stock heads- this is assuming you have a free flowing exhaust(TM headers). You would probably need a slightly higher stall converter too, but as long as it was a locking unit your highway mileage wouldn't be affected.

I don't loike the fact that tey do not mark anything with any kind of part #. Jon bought his stroker kit and balancer form them. He called to ask them sooething about it and a part # on his receipt but they had no idea because they don't mark anything.

I tried e-mailing them about a month ago to ask them about a 50 oz balance and there e-mail box was full. I tried several times and kept getting the same error message.

I won't be doing bussiness with them.

A stroker can help a lot, but yes it can use more gas also. Note that higher compression can gain you quite a bit of power and efficiency. Jon has a great engine, but high octane fuel is best for them.

Weigh the money you have to spend against the power and economy you want. Here's a link to a relatively inexpensive 331 short block;http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You could put some good money into the stock GT40 or GT40P heads and gain some good power. Check out Mike at http://www.thumperoforangepark.com/. He is a well known porter of stock heads and intakes, he can get efficient flow from them, better than most entry level aluminum heads. I hope to have him port my lower intake soon.

The balancer is a big issue. I spoke the that M&R place and he confirmed that they really do want a 28oz. Mustang weight balancer. Evidently the aftermarket cranks have little extra steel on them to allow much drilling and filling. To balance an engine they drill out steel and replace it with mallory metal(heavier). Old Ford cranks never had problems with balancing with just about any balancer/flywheel.

I'm hoping to need an 8-rib pulley system later, so I'm going to see how much trouble it is to have a 28oz. balancer made for the Explorer. That M&R Engines looks like a reputable shop, they have a good deal on aluminum heads, $754 complete. Good luck,

Another question...

Obviously, Ford dosent want the 5.0 in the explorer to be loud and throaty like the 5.0 they used to put in the mustang.

Is this all in the programming and tuning of the explorers PCM or is it in the internals of the explorer motor?

I've heard mixed answers such as; if you put mustang heads on an explorer it will sound like a mustang OR if you have a reputable shop 'tune' your 5.0 explorer motor it will sound like a mustang....

Anyone know for sure how to get that legendary small block mustang sound?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It is entirely in the exhaust system, nothing upstream of the headers. You can swap any Explorer 302 into any Mustang and it will sound absolutely the same as the Mustang 302. The slightest difference in the Explorer GT40 lower intake and camshaft has no affect on sound.

Thus work on the exhaust, the mufflers are 80% of the sound. You have little choice for headers, and nobody makes non stock cat pipes. Make your own cat pipes with high flow units, and add a decent crossover before two mufflers, and twin tail pipes. Good luck,

Back