02 4x4 Vibrating at low speed when turning, help locate technical service bulletin | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

02 4x4 Vibrating at low speed when turning, help locate technical service bulletin

woods247

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 xlt
I took my 02 AWD/4WD Explorer for long road trip last week. After about 100 miles I stopped at a rest area and noticed when I started from a complete stop, I felt a gritty vibration or grinding coming from the front wheels ONLY when I turned (right or left) at less than 5mph. After I reached my destination I disconnected the battery for about an hour (assuming this would reboot the computers and they were causing an ABS or AWD problem), reconnected it and the problem disappeared until I drove home today. Again, after about 100 miles the syptoms returned. Maybe the symptoms disappeared because the drivetrain cooled off. I'll find out in the morning, because I did not disconnect the battery this time.

I found these TSBs from http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/tsb.php/m-FORD which sounds like the problem I'm having: TSB #042420 -- LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS. *TT (NHTSA ID #10014100, DECEMBER 13 2004) and TSB #16427 -- LOW SPEED OR STATIONARY NOISE/VIBRATION AT LOWER STEERING SHAFT AREA WHEN TURNING. *MJ (NHTSA ID #10008352, NOVEMBER 01 2002)

Has anyone experienced this before? Can anyone provide me with the complete TSB so I can read the details? Any assistance is greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just noticed this problem the other day with my '02. Below is a copy of the TSB I found at another forum; it looks like a lot of Fords had this problem. Does anyboyd know what it will do if you don't replace the clutch pack? I can put up with the binding/chatter if it's not ruining anything in my truck.

TSB 04-24-20
· LIMITED SLIP AXLE CHATTER, SHUDDER, BINDING SENSATION, OR VIBRATION DURING LOW SPEED TURNING MANEUVERS
FORD:
2002-2005 Crown Victoria, Mustang, Explorer
2003-2005 Expedition
2004-2005 F-150LINCOLN:
2002-2005 Town Car
2003-2005 NavigatorMERCURY:
2002-2005 Grand Marquis, Mountaineer

This article supersedes TSB 04-17-5 to update the model year and vehicle line coverage. ISSUE:

Some 2003-2005 Expedition/Navigator, 2004-2005 F-150 vehicles equipped with a 9.75" or 8.8" limited slip rear axle, and 2002-2005 Explorer 4dr, Mountaineer, Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car, and Mustang vehicles equipped with 8.8" limited slip rear axle, may exhibit a chatter, shudder, a binding sensation, or a vibration during low speed turns. On 4x4 vehicles, the sensation may appear to be originating from the front axle or the steering gear.

ACTION:

First verify the condition. On 4x4 trucks ensure that the vehicle is in 2WD, to isolate the rear axle. On all vehicles, turn the wheel fully right (or fully left) and then accelerate the vehicle. If the condition is verified to be in the rear axle, replace the limited slip clutch pack.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

CAUTION:INSTRUCT THE CUSTOMER NOT TO TOW WITH THE VEHICLE FOR 500 MILES AFTER THIS REPAIR, TO ALLOW THE AXLE TO BREAK-IN PROPERLY.

Order and install the appropriate clutch pack, follow the installation instruction sheet included in the service kit.
· 3L1Z-4947-AB (9.75" limited slip)
· 3L1Z-4947-BC (8.8" limited slip)
NOTE:INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO AN INDEPENDENT REAR SUSPENSION (IRS) AXLE IS DIFFERENT FROM INSTALLING A CLUTCH PACK INTO A SOLID-BEAM AXLE. BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE INSTALLATION INSTRUCTION SHEET INCLUDED IN THE SERVICE KIT.

INSTALLATION TIPS
· The clutch packs in this service kit DO NOT need to be shimmed. The clutch pack contains a pre-measured shim.
· Be sure to install NEW circlips and halfshaft/wheel end nuts on IRS rear axle (not included in the service kit).
· Soak the new clutch packs in Friction Modifier XL-3 (NOT XL-7) for fifteen (15) minutes prior to installation.
· For IRS axle, Halfshaft Seal Protector 205-506 (included in the 2002 Explorer/Mountaineer Essential Tool Kit) must be used when removing the halfshafts to protect against seal damage, which may result in leaks.
· Refill axles with 4 oz. Friction Modifier (XL-3) and the necessary amount of Rear Axle Lubricant XY-75W140-QL, regardless of the axle lubricant system originally used in the axle. Fill to capacity recommended in the Workshop Manual.
NOTE:AXLE FLUID REQUIREMENTS HAVE BEEN CHANGED. ALL VEHICLES BEING REPAIRED BY THIS TSB MUST HAVE REAR AXLE LUBE XY-75W140-QL INSTALLED, IN PLACE OF XY- 75W90-QFEHP. AS PART OF THIS REPAIR, CHECK AND REPLACE IF NECESSARY THE CURRENT XY-75W90-Q"FEHP" METAL TAG, WITH A NEW 75W140 TAG (F3TZ-4121-AA). ADDITIONALLY, REMOVE THE MULTI-COLORED LABEL WHICH IS LOCATED ON THE RIGHT SIDE AXLE TUBE, OR BLOCK OUT ANY/ALL "FEHP" OR "75W90" REFERENCES ON THE LABEL.

PART NUMBERPART NAME 3L1Z-4947-AB9.75" RR Axle Clutch
3L1Z-4947-BC8.8" RR Axle Clutch
XY-75W140-QLRear Axle Lubricant
XL-3Friction Modifier Additive
W710084-S439Nut (Wheel End)
2L1Z-4B422-CACirclips (for 9.75")
1L2Z-4B422-BACirclips (for 8.8")

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
042420A
Expedition Without Air Suspension: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)4.2 Hrs.

042420B
Expedition/Navigator With Air Suspension: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)4.4 Hrs.

042420C
Explorer/Mountaineer: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)4.6 Hrs.

042420D
F-150: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)3.0 Hrs.

042420E
Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis, Town Car: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)3.0 Hrs.

042420F
2002-2004 Mustang: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)2.9 Hrs.

042420G
2005 Mustang: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)3.4 Hrs.

042420H
Mustang Cobra: Replace Clutch Pack (Includes Time For Road Test To Verify Concern, Replace Rear Clutch Pack, And Re-Road Test)5.6 Hrs.DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO.CONDITION CODE4947D4

Alot of times if you just change the fluid and put in a fresh bottle of "friction modifier" the problem will go away. I've serviced many fords from the mid 80's to current with 8.8" track lok rear diffs and most of the time the owner decided to change the Diff fluid and forgot the "friction modifier".

02 explorer front end engagement

We just bought an '02 eddie bauer explorer with the 4.0 v6 and "auto" 4x4. Randomly, when starting from a complete stop, the front end will start to "cease", and it feels like the vehicle doesn't want to roll freely, like the 4x4 is engaged on pavement. There is a feeling like the vehicle doesn't want to move and there is some 'clunking'. It happens randomly but makes a horrible noise. Why would the rear end need work as the TSB indicates if all the trouble seems to be upfront?

I had the same problem with my '03, and the dealer replaced the clutch pack as per the TSB. That was about a month ago, and all has been well since.

My friends 03 Mountaineer just developed this problem. Cheap SOB bought the friction modifier fluid and a couple of quarts of the specified 75W-140 Ford gear lube, drained and refilled with the new stuff and the clutch plate chatter went away.

I have this problem but my warranty is out. Will this cause any problems if I don't replace the clutch pack? I can put up with it if it's not ruining anything in my Explorer. Is a clutch pack an expensive item to fix?

I am having the same exact issue on mine in the front end.

How much did it cost to get your dealer to do this repair for you? I have the same problem.

1/2" to 3/4" drive adapter - $3
self primming hand pump - $6
2 bottles of oil and one tube of additive - $15
Saving $$$$ from NOT going to a dealership - - - PRICELESS

Just had my differential fluid changed yesterday and the vibrations went away! What a relief!

Sounded like I had same problem, vibration during low speed turning after a complete stop. I rebuilt the rear with a Yukon dura grip limited slip and then refilled the diff with Amsoil 75-140 but didn't add the fric modifier. The problem remained unchanged. My mechanic added the fric modifier but noticed little change. Next he took a dive on the highway to get the fluid heated and then did a bunch of tight circles to get the clutch packs lubbed up. Seems like it worked because I am driving it and it feels a great deal better than when I first installed it with out the fric mod.

I have a '02 EB 4x4 with the same problems deailed above. At 89,000 miles I am well out of warranty so I am opting for the lube change and friction modifier plan.

The TSB states that 75w140 (not 75W90) should be used and FM XL-3 (not XL-7) be used AFTER the repair. My question is, should these products be used for my lube change even though I have not replaced the R/P or Clutch Packs? Additionally, I am wondering about FoMoCo Brand vs. others.

Finally, what are the capacities and are any special tools needed for this proceedure? It's been a while for me so thanks in advance for any imput, suggestions, or ideas.

Jimmy

I have a 2002 v8 explorer and was wondering if the rear diff oil change and friction modifier would work with the independent rear suspension? Please point me to a thread or describe in detail what this procedure entails. Thanks Mark.

TSB dealing with rear end noise and binding felt while turning.

The TSB that deals with this issue is TSB 06-4-4 released March 2006. To my knowledge all 2002 Explorers were independent rear suspension. If I were you I would go to the Amsoil web site and order a 4oz bottle of there friction modifier and some gear lube, drain your rear diff. and refill with the Amsoil. I have been very happy with their product. If that doesn't fix your problem then order the clutch pack repair kit from Ford for the 8.8 limited slip axles.

I am a total explorer newbee! is my ifs rear a 8.8? I thought the 8.8 was only offered in the solid axle.
Yep - but not literally an "IFS" since that stands for "independant front suspension. So actually its an "IRS" for "independant rear suspension" ;).

Thanks Izwack! So I am into four wheel drives. Thus the name "marks69cruiser" as in a 1969 fj40 Landcruiser. I have always considered my wife's explorer a grocery getter. That being said i know the 8.8 solid axle is a popular swap for jeep yj's. How strong is the IRS 8.8? Also can someone point me to a thread were I can learn about the Tranny, t-case, axles on a 2002 Ford explorer XLT V8.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rear Diff Fluid capacity

I'm a rookie too, and plan to change the rear diff fluid for my '04 Eddie Bauer as outline in this string, but can't figure out how much I need. I'm good on the friction modifier, just need the fluid amount. Can anyone help? Thanks!

Back