• Register Today It's free!

5 speed 4x4 question

91sport_tn

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport / '84 Ranger S
My explorer is the first 4x4 vehicle i have had, my question is: How do you engage the 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...I take it you have the push button 4x4 with auto hubs...:D
(If you have manual hubs, you need to get out of the vehicle and engage them first)

4x4...a.k.a. 4x4 Hi...
..If you have the push button control, 4x4 is "shift on the fly"...Meaning, push the 4x4 button while driving over 3mph and 4x4 will engage and a 4x4 dash light will come on...You can shut it off anytime by pushing the same button again...

..4Lo
...For 4x4 low, You need to already be in 4x4, stopped and in neutral, before you push the 4lo button...Besides the existing 4x4 dash light, you will now see the 4lo dash light also...

...To get out of 4lo you will again need to be in neutral and stopped, push the 4lo button again and the 4lo and light will disengage..

(If you have manual hubs, before you hit pavement you will need to manually disengage these even if you are no longer in 4wd)

Never drive in 4x4 at all on pavement with a first gen Explorer..

ok, thank you. that was exactly what i needed.

...You are very welcome...:D

May i ask why "Never drive in 4x4 at all on pavement with a first gen Explorer.." other than not being able to turn as good?

...On dry pavement and even on wet, you will break your transfer case...Other parts may be damaged too..;)

Ok I understand, i think my dad told me that back when he bought his limited. Something to do with there being less traction off road?

I believe I am set for now. Thanks.

with my rig i have 2 have my foot on the clutch for it 2 actiavate aswell

what about driving in 4x4 on ice covered pavement

Ice and snow are OK for 4X4, even loose sand and gravel; as long as the tires are allowed to slip a little to keep the drive train from winding up.

Bob

Just keep in mind that engaging 4WD on ICE will make the vehicle HARDER to control.

Ryan

And since no one has mentioned it, you need to drive in reverse for 15-20 feet in a straight line after disengaging 4x4 to completely unlock the front end. You can drive for short periods without doing this, but it will kill your gas mileage.

If your hubs work right, it should take like 5 feet. Mine work perfectly, and usually unlock in less than a foot of distance.

After i disengaged mine, i drove down the road forward and it still felt like the front was pulling, but after i stopped at a stop sign about 15 feet away, it felt like it was in 2wd again, then i parked.

Is the whole drive in reverse thing serious or not? Seems kind of tedious.

Went off road for the first real time today, gravel and sand pit.. street tires.

BTW, i have auto hubs if that makes a difference.

the never drive in 4wd on pavement is a given.. but what if im too lazy to get out and unlock my hubs and i drive 1/2 mile back to my house? lol just a question. the noise i heard might of been bc i forgot my spedo was 5 mph off and i was goin like 50 with the hubs locked. oops.. everythings fine though.

help help help !!!!!!

this is prolbey in the wrong spot sry i have a 97 x with the sohc, iam haven trubble with the 4x4 on it it has the setting auto 4high 4 low so when i put into 4 low i hear it enguage it says in the dash its in even when ya drive it its in a lower gear but the front tires dont wanna spin. So i put it up on jack stands front and back put it in 4x4 and the front spins but ya can stop it with your hands when its in nutreal and spin one tire the other spins the oppsite way i even tryed to stop the front drive shaft with my had and cant it doesent clunk bang or nothing is the front gear housing f%$#ed or is it electrical some one please please help me acts the same in 4 high is it not fully going into 4x4 er something?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

this is prolbey in the wrong spot . . .

Yep, wrong spot. Your 4x4 is completely different from ours. Do some reading in the stock 2nd gen section. You should be able to find an answer to your question. If you can't then post a new thread (over there).

FYI if both wheels are jacked up and you spin one the other SHOULD spin in the opposite direction. That's how an open diff works.

Back