Trouble with TM Headers | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trouble with TM Headers

Does anyone know if the remflex rf3003 is correct?

Just remember you're looking for gaskets for the Windsor type engines and need the rectangular ports. The RF3003 do look about right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just remember you're looking for gaskets for the Windsor type engines and need the rectangular ports. The RF3003 do look about right.

:burnout: My torque monster headers and tuner showed up today!!

I bought the remflex gaskets, thanks!!

Are there specific model years or engines that are having these issues? Or are there problems in general with these headers on all model years and engines?

The headers are for the v8 only. The early issue headers did not have very good gaskets since updated.

I'm just thinking that since I have a '97 with the 302, all the kinks have been worked out for my car and I should be able to install these without any problems.

I just don't want to be the guy whose headers are rubbing into spark plug wires and melting them.

I'm just thinking that since I have a '97 with the 302, all the kinks have been worked out for my car and I should be able to install these without any problems.

Well,the '97 was only the second year of the 5.0 in the Ex so whatever kinks you speak of might be there.

Torquemonster Headers are aftermarket and don't have issues related to model year of the Explorer.

Careful and creative routing and heat socks are all you need to keep your wires safe.
Posted via Mobile Device

subscribing..

I want to see if the remflex gaskets would seal the headers up. i've used copper, aluminum and have the gaskets that came with the headers and they still leak a bit.

Just got the call that my remflex gaskets did not show up today, the guy screwed up :( They did not pull them for todays delivery and will be here monday instead.
I started tearing into the truck and would like to have it done by tomorrow.
Are the spectre thick header gaskets any good? They are in stock.

Are the spectre thick header gaskets any good? They are in stock.

Never heard of them myself. I did a lot of homework on gaskets and ended up on a lot of Mustang forums. Remflex and Percy's always seemed to come out on top. Too bad they didn't arrive, but I'd wait for them.

I haven't had any issues with the main gaskets since mine were installed last summer, but the gasket between the two pieces on the driver's side has been problematic for me. Had one blow just after the install and had another one blow a few weeks ago (related to bolts backing themselves off and not the gasket itself). I've got an appointment to get another gasket replaced on Monday.

I actually had a sample of Remflex material sent to me recently and there was enough to cut a gasket for the junction. I think the material is pretty funky (kind of soft). Supposed to expand as you tighten it down and good to 3000F. Lot thicker than original.

I'm hoping we can use the Remflex material, but there may not be enough room to work with since we're going at it through the wheelwell to replace the gasket (the header junction can only be expanded so far to accommodate the gasket). Had I know these things can crap out, I would have replaced with Remflex before the headers were installed.

It's worth your while to do it right before the install, so wait for the Remflex, IMHO. A lot of the Mustang sites rate Felpro and other brands as "average".

I want to see if the remflex gaskets would seal the headers up. i've used copper, aluminum and have the gaskets that came with the headers and they still leak a bit.

I've had pretty good luck with the gaskets that came with the headers so far, but have a set of Percy's around, "just in case". When we installed the copper gaskets, Jon (Turdle) could not get them to seal no matter what we tried, hence having to resort to what came with the headers.

I've read a lot of great real world reviews of Remflex. I think there is one person on EF that I know of that went that route and he seems happy with them.

I picked up some felpro ms 9000 gaskets and they really don't look too great. Thin and average looking.
The felpro performance 1415 looks to be a better choice but it is special order.
I also grabberd the spectre 417 which is 1/8 thick compressed ceramic fiber. They look like a better quality than the felpro 90000's
My remflex gaskets are supposed to show on monday if i can wait.
I aslo grabbed some spectre header bolts 46703 3/4" legnth 3/8" 16 threads

I have some Mr.gasket material that i want to use for the two piece section of the headers. It is an off white color soft material that is around 1/16" thick. Is it ok to double up on this material? It looks like the header would line up better and have better flow with a thicker gasket in this position.

I installed the remflex gaskets and so far i'm glad i did. The quality was better than the other gaskets i looked at. Being 100% graphite they are super soft and mark easily so you need to be careful. I didn't need to re-torque them.
The pics are a comparison of the spectre vs felpro 9000 and felpro 9000 vs remflex. Thanks for talking me into waiting for the remflex celly.

Attachments

• spectre vs felpro.jpg
    spectre vs felpro.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 288
  • felpro vs remflex.jpg
    felpro vs remflex.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 298
  • remflex.jpg
    remflex.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 281
  • remflex 2.jpg
    remflex 2.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 280

Thanks for talking me into waiting for the remflex celly.

Quite welcome. I'm envious. I've still got the ones that came with the headers in there. :(

Header update: My Remflex gaskets are still holding up with no leaks , but the two piece header on the driver side is another story.
I bought mr.gasket material and made my own gasket and it just can't hold up for this application.
I call Bob and he is sending me some quality gaskets. He said that this gasket needs to have metal sandwiched in between to hold up to the pressure.

Header update: My Remflex gaskets are still holding up with no leaks , but the two piece header on the driver side is another story.
I bought mr.gasket material and made my own gasket and it just can't hold up for this application.
I call Bob and he is sending me some quality gaskets. He said that this gasket needs to have metal sandwiched in between to hold up to the pressure.

Are you saying the gasket between the two pieces? I just put a Remflex homemade gasket there recently and it seems to be holding.

Yes, the gasket between the two pieces...my homemade one blew out.

Yes, the gasket between the two pieces...my homemade one blew out.

I've had nothing but trouble with that gasket. Twice they were Bob's. Mind you, second time was due to bolt loosening.

I haven't really had a chance to check mine closely since install and haven't been driving much (I work 2 miles from home). Pulling 12 hour days lately and been pretty swamped for a while.

I'm nervously hoping the Remflex holds.

Bob said he would send me two gaskets, and that one is all i will probably ever need. He said they are a higher quality than what came with the headers.
There are two versions of headers at this connection, a smooth one, and one with a flange.
If a gasket is ever needed just call him up and tell him which version you have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bob said he would send me two gaskets, and that one is all i will probably ever need. He said they are a higher quality than what came with the headers.
There are two versions of headers at this connection, a smooth one, and one with a tab.
If a gasket is ever needed just call him up and tell him which version you have.

Bob already sent me two of those gaskets. I burned out one (loose bolt issue). I have one more that I used as a template for the Remflex. If the Remflex does crap out, I'll use it.

I'm using the Remflex at no cost. They sent me two small samples of the material and they were just the right size to cut a gasket out of. :)

Back