UltraGauge | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

UltraGauge

I just tossed ours in the honda for now so I can play with the ultra-gauge...

I'm amazed at how well you can read it, even with the sun behind you. You can see the glare on this pic, and its still very readable.

One thing I did notice. 145F is actually not very warm. I had it in the car for about 1 hour yesterday (without the sun shade on the windshield) and when I started the car it was reading 150F and that sets off the alarm for the ultra-gauge temp. It was only 90F out so I'm not sure how it will do in summer. Even with the windshield shade on I know the car can read 150F+ in there.

~Mark

Attachments

• photo (6).jpg
    photo (6).jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 857

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you get a trans temp reading with one of those?

Can you get a trans temp reading with one of those?

NO, and from what I read, manufacturer specific sensors are not supported yet.

They said possibly q1 of 2011 to get trans temp, but I still don't see it listed even as a possible sensor.

~Mark

Ive had one of these for a few months and I cant recommend them highly enough. Worth every penny. Excellent tool for diagnostics, hypermiling etc. And they mount very nicely in the dashboard ashtray of 2nd gens (and maybe others) for those of you who dont want to clutter up the windshield.

Have a pic of your install? Was thinking of mounting mine on the Console in one of the cubby holes

I'm looking at the ScanGauge II, it reads trans temps and alot of other things as well and I've read good things about them online too. No trans temp in a deal breaker for me on thisand the fact that
So it's installed, played with it a little bit, so far so very good Still need to set it up.
The fuel tank on my ST, is it 20.80 Gal or 20.08 ?

if this thing can't read the vehicles diagnostics accurately, that's another deal breaker.

You have to set the tank size yourself...

Ok, still the fact that it can't read trans temps (one of the most important gauges needed) is still a deal breaker, you'd think that would be one of the first things to integrate into the system, JMO.

Some vehicles it can tell the ultragauge you filled up But it has to have something to read. I found that intelligent fuel level thing in the menu but the honda doesn't support it (its only a year 2000 vehicle anyway). You do have to set the size of the tank manually though during setup.

For what I need it for, its perfect. If I wanted Trans temp then the scan gauge is what you need but for triple the price I'd really need the feature the ultragauge didn't have.

~Mark

If I wanted Trans temp then the scan gauge is what you need but for triple the price I'd really need the feature the ultragauge didn't have.

Dead on! I just looked it up, they now have the ScanGauge II at AZ for an "Unbeatable" $169.99

The UltraGauge obviously wont do everything for a 60$ price, but for what it does, thats a STEAL.

I forgot to mention, the Cable is somewhat weak. I just had it connected to the odb port and run up the dash etc. Apparently, the last time I got in the car I rubbed my foot on the cable as I got into the car and stripped the insualtion some. It doesn't look like I hurt any of the wires as everything still works..

So, we know the insulation is pretty cheesy, so be aware of that as you run it..

Oh yea.. I got a new record today on the Instant Gas Mileage. 301.4 MPG :) Thats 70 mph, down hill, car in neutral and clutch in.. My overall average is still just a hair over 40 mpg. I'll know tomorrow night how accurate it is as I'll have about 140 miles on the tank by then.

~Mark

The UltraGauge obviously wont do everything for a 60$ price, but for what it does, thats a STEAL.

I agree totally about it being a great deal for the money.

I forgot to mention, the Cable is somewhat weak. I just had it connected to the odb port and run up the dash etc. Apparently, the last time I got in the car I rubbed my foot on the cable as I got into the car and stripped the insualtion some. It doesn't look like I hurt any of the wires as everything still works..

Wow, that's not good.

My overall average is still just a hair over 40 mpg. I'll know tomorrow night how accurate it is as I'll have about 140 miles on the tank by then.

~Mark

This is in the Honda right? :D

been running one for the last year, and pretty good unit, have had zero complaints, i was a little sketcy about the low price, but has been worth it

This is in the Honda right? :D

Yup.. That was on the Honda.

I filled the Honda yesterday. It was only 2 days but it was around 150 miles on that tank.

I used the same gas station, same time of day (roughly) but I couldn't get the same pump as someone was there... I did fill it the same way too.. 1st notch and then 1/2 gallon more after it clicks off.

The trip gauge on the dash said 152.4 miles and I fit 3.6 gallons of fuel in it. That comes out to 42.3 mpg.

The ultragauge showed 151.6 miles and it showed I used 3.75 gallons of fuel.
that comes out to 40.3 mpg.

Thats pretty close. The Mustang with its integrated trip computer is usually about 1mpg off and its only in the 25-30mpg range.

I did notice the ultragauge speed reading is lower than actual though. the Ultragauge is showing 66mph while the GPS shows 68mph and the dash speedometer is showing 70mph. I guess thats normal since the ultragauge is only reading the the ECU is thinking.

Oh yea, after filling the tank, on the way home I got the instant MPG to read 329.1 mpg, just for fun.

~Mark

I saw that in the book.. That was the first fill up, so I can start to calibrate it now.

I actually expected it to be way off as this is on our Honda HX which does lean burn and other funky stuff fore better mileage. Its even a vtec-e motor.

I'm surprised its as close as it is already.

~Mark

my mount

Where I mounted my ultragauge:
daytime
CIMG1581.jpg

nighttime
CIMG1582.jpg

Back