If your 4WD switch looks like this AUTO, 4HI, 4LO then... | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

If your 4WD switch looks like this AUTO, 4HI, 4LO then...

There is a speed sensor on the output shaft of the transmission, but the sensor on the trans is sending its signal to the PCM for engine control functions. The two speed sensors in the t-case both send their signals to the GEM.

So the speed sensors in the t-case are used to determine if there is a relative difference in driveshaft speeds (interpreted as wheel slipping), the sensor on the trans is used to determine vehicle speed, mainly for engine control functions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If thats the only thing that the one on the trans does, then why didn't replacing the 2 on the t-case fix my issues? If the 3rd is faulty and it causes the problems i was having (ie. the lights flashing 6 times) then it must communicate to the GEM somehow

r37ribution said:
If thats the only thing that the one on the trans does, then why didn't replacing the 2 on the t-case fix my issues? If the 3rd is faulty and it causes the problems i was having (ie. the lights flashing 6 times) then it must communicate to the GEM somehow

The PCM does communicate with the GEM, but the service manual says that the two speed sensors in the t-case are used to determine when to engage the 4wd system.

The schematics do indicate that the VSS is somehow used in the Control Trac system, but I can't find anything in the service manual to tell how that might work.

If you had scanned the GEM when you were getting the flashing 4wd lights, you would have probably been able to read the codes set in the GEM. The codes would tell you what the GEM thought that the problem was.

dogfriend said:
The PCM does communicate with the GEM, but the service manual says that the two speed sensors in the t-case are used to determine when to engage the 4wd system.

The schematics do indicate that the VSS is somehow used in the Control Trac system, but I can't find anything in the service manual to tell how that might work.

If you had scanned the GEM when you were getting the flashing 4wd lights, you would have probably been able to read the codes set in the GEM. The codes would tell you what the GEM thought that the problem was.
Where can I buy a scanner to scan for this??? I thought of that, but I talked to a lot of people about this and no one mentioned putting a scaner on the GEM :mad: Do you know where can I get one of these? and do you know what one is best (I like best)? Does it plug into the diag port under the dash or somewhere else?

Don't mean to be asking a ton of questions, just frusterated right now.

r37ribution said:
Where can I buy a scanner to scan for this??? I thought of that, but I talked to a lot of people about this and no one mentioned putting a scaner on the GEM :mad: Do you know where can I get one of these? and do you know what one is best (I like best)? Does it plug into the diag port under the dash or somewhere else?

Don't mean to be asking a ton of questions, just frusterated right now.

I bought a Diagtek scanner which can scan for GEM codes. http://www.diagtek.com/ They cost $450 now, but only cost $250 when I bought mine . Here is a thread from a while back scan tool thread

The Ford NGS tool can also scan the GEM, but probably only the dealer would have this. Some other scan tools may be able to scan for GEM codes as well. Check out http://www.obd-2.com/ for a low cost software tool which may be able to scan for GEM codes.

Yes, you plug into the data port under the drivers side dash; the software in the scanner allows you to access the PCM, GEM or ABS computer from the data port.

hi i just recently joined serious explorations and found this forum on diabling 4X4 AUTO i have the picture and wire diagram that JoshC has posted but if i could get some help on basic information on finding the GEM and the yellow wire and how exactly to wire up a switch to this wire ( and what type of switch will be needed) if i could get some feedback i would appreciate it.. thanks for your time

Re-read the whole post. Use the brown wire, not the yellow wire. And use a relay...lots don't, but my experience wasn't good without it.

Also use opposite-sex bullet connectors under the door sill panel so if the switch, relay, wiring, or anything goes bad on the trail you can disconnect it all and just plug both ends of the brown wire back together.

b3ross said:
hi i just recently joined serious explorations and found this forum on diabling 4X4 AUTO i have the picture and wire diagram that JoshC has posted but if i could get some help on basic information on finding the GEM and the yellow wire and how exactly to wire up a switch to this wire ( and what type of switch will be needed) if i could get some feedback i would appreciate it.. thanks for your time

Jared did a write up with pics in this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106593&page=1&pp=20

It's only a 4 page thread that condenses much of what has been discussed in this long thread....the write-up is on page 2. I found it much easier to access the brown wire in the dash and i did not use a relay. Stay away from the yellow wire....the brown wire is the one you need.

dogfriend said:
I bought a Diagtek scanner which can scan for GEM codes. http://www.diagtek.com/ They cost $450 now, but only cost $250 when I bought mine . Here is a thread from a while back scan tool thread

The Ford NGS tool can also scan the GEM, but probably only the dealer would have this. Some other scan tools may be able to scan for GEM codes as well. Check out http://www.obd-2.com/ for a low cost software tool which may be able to scan for GEM codes.

Yes, you plug into the data port under the drivers side dash; the software in the scanner allows you to access the PCM, GEM or ABS computer from the data port.
I read the whole thread, it seems that the Diagtek scanner is the best choice. I'll probably look into getting one sometime soon. $450 is pretty expensive tho...for me anyways.

Thanks for the Help Guys. I have found the wire behind the dash and just to verify it is the brown wire that leads into a black wire harness with a RED thing that slides up and down. Just want to make sure i am looking at the right harness. I am kinda new with all this wiring, where would be the best place to find a switch for this hookup, and i am kinda unsure on how to go about wiring this switch into the brown wire. Is there anymore helpful hints that i could use on this project
thanks alot

b3ross said:
Thanks for the Help Guys. I have found the wire behind the dash and just to verify it is the brown wire that leads into a black wire harness with a RED thing that slides up and down. Just want to make sure i am looking at the right harness. I am kinda new with all this wiring, where would be the best place to find a switch for this hookup, and i am kinda unsure on how to go about wiring this switch into the brown wire. Is there anymore helpful hints that i could use on this project
thanks alot

Go back to the thread that I mentioned above:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106593&page=1&pp=20

It has pics of the connector that the brown wire hooks up to in the dash. I can't remember about the red sliding thing but Gonzo mentions it in page 2 of that thread and posted a pic of it so I think you have found it. If you are still unsure go to my post also on page 2 of that thread. It mentions the color of every wire going into the same connector...(I'm assuming that your 99 has the same wire colors as my 98). If the wires in your 99 are the same colors then you have identified the correct brown wire.

Get the switch at any auto parts store...Autozone and Pep boys usually have a decent selection. I put in a 20 amp switch which is overkill, but I wanted to match it to other switches that I had installed in a separate switch panel and 20 amp was all I could find that matched. While you're there pick up a spool of the same guage wire...make it brown for consistancy. If you want to do it right, pick up a wire crimper...they sell inexpensive kits that come with the crimper and some misc. connectors. I would go with the male/female bayonet type connectors...this way you could easily disconnect the switch and put it back to stock if necessary. Use the spool of wire to extend the the circuit to wherever you decide to mount the switch.

You wire the switch directly in line with the cut you make in the brown wire. There is always current running thru the brown wire in normal 4wd auto mode. When the switch is in off position you are cutting off the current flow to the transfer case making it 2wd. When the switch is on you are allowing the current to flow to the transfer case so you are back in normal 4wd auto.

I just finished the brown wire MOD on my explorer,but i have a quick question to ask. I know people have done this to 99 and above models but has anyone ever ran into a 5 Wire TOD harness, It has the yellow, black, brown and (2) light blue/black wires. Just curious if this would affect anything . thanks

b3ross said:
I just finished the brown wire MOD on my explorer,but i have a quick question to ask. I know people have done this to 99 and above models but has anyone ever ran into a 5 Wire TOD harness, It has the yellow, black, brown and (2) light blue/black wires. Just curious if this would affect anything . thanks

I don't have the schematics in front of me, but I think that I can account for the functions of all the wires:

Yellow - Signal(PWM) from GEM to TOD Relay
Brown - Output (Current) from TOD Relay to T-Case Clutch
Black - Most likely Ground
Light Blue/ Black - Power to TOD Relay

There may be 2 separate Lt Blue/Black wires to supply enough current, or they may daisy chain from the TOD relay to some other device, but you would need to see a schematic or trace the wire to find out.

dogfriend said:
I don't have the schematics in front of me, but I think that I can account for the functions of all the wires:

Yellow - Signal(PWM) from GEM to TOD Relay
Brown - Output (Current) from TOD Relay to T-Case Clutch
Black - Most likely Ground
Light Blue/ Black - Power to TOD Relay

There may be 2 separate Lt Blue/Black wires to supply enough current, or they may daisy chain from the TOD relay to some other device, but you would need to see a schematic or trace the wire to find out.

The double Light Blue w/ Black wires are normal. They're actually spliced together a few inches away. I believe it has something to do with the solid state relay design.

-Joe

After looking at the wiring diagrams again, I'd need to look a little further, but as far as the t-case is concerned, it's wired up the same way for the 95-96 as it is for the 97-02. I'd need to look at a pin-out of the two GEMs to know for sure, but a simple GEM swap from a later year may allow you to have 4 auto, 4 hi, 4 low. (I doubt the GEM is a direct swap though.... that's rare...)

Anyways, this will work better (in my opinion).

Most people clip the brown wire here:

546937.jpg

That is up-stream of the splice with the other brown wire coming from the Transfer Case Shift Relay. It's the TCS relay in the 98-up that locks the transfer case when you put it in 4 hi. If you follow the harness up and around the vent ducting, you'll see the splice located on the driver's side of the compartment in the harness right behind the GEM module.

546938.jpg

You'll need to unplug the GEM and remove the single screw that holds it in place to remove it. Remove the three plugs on the front, remove the screw on the bottom, pull the GEM DOWN and halfway out, then unplug the bottom plug. It's a lot easier than trying to wrestle the plug loose while it's still in there.

Then, you'll need to carefully cut back the electrical tape to gain access to the splice.

546865.jpg

Gently remove the heavy duty wrap that is around the splice. You can pull a bit of slack up from the bottom plug to make it easier to work on.

546941.jpg

You'll see three wires there. One coming up from the TCS module, one coming across from the passenger side TOD relay, and one going towards the driver's side to the transfer case clutch coil. MAKE SURE YOU CLIP THE RIGHT WIRE. For the 95-96, you DEFINATELY want to make sure you clip the output to the t-case clutch. For the 97-up, you can clip that one or the one on the other side of the compartment where it comes from the TOD relay. I'll explain more in a minute.

You can see which wire I chose to clip here:

546942.jpg

546943.jpg

I connected a SPDT switch wire up "backwards" so that I had two inputs and one output. Make sure that the output that runs to the clutch coil is on the center terminal of the switch. For the other input (and the other position on the switch) I pulled power from the cigarette lighter socket. It is rated for 20A and should be more than sufficient to power the clutch coil in the transfer case.

I installed a 15A fuse in that line as a back-up to the 20A that's already in it, and neither one popped last night during the trials. If you have a '95-96, you may want to choose a switched source to trigger a relay for this to prevent inadvertently leaving the switch on and burning up the coil/running the battery dead.

Here's the finished product.

546944.jpg

If you have a 95-96, you can use just the second half (use a switched power source to trigger the coil) giving you full-time 4 wheel drive.

If you have a '97-up, you can use the first half to provide the disconnect for the transfer case, keeping it in 2 wheel drive. The advantage to cutting the wire where I did as opposed to doing it where it comes out of the TOD relay is that <i>it allows you to disengage the 4 wheel drive while in low range.</i> I tried it last night and it works like a charm, connecting and disconnecting the front axle on demand. If you splice the switch in at the standard spot by the TOD relay, when you shift into low range, the Transfer Case Shift Relay energizes the clutch and locks it in until you go back to 2wd.

Hope this helps someone! :)

-Joe

no pics

hey josh its adam foley. just got your reply and i cant view the pics. when i copy the url and paste it. it says the website is no longer available. if you could email me the pics at adamfoley01@yahoo.com i would greatly appreciate it. thanks adam

Back