Mr. Obama's Basic Fox 2.5 Air Shock breakdown | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mr. Obama's Basic Fox 2.5 Air Shock breakdown

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Hi kids :cool:

Today Mr. Barack Obama will show us how to break down the Fox 2.5 Air Shock :) So please, sit down, take a few minutes, and let us bask in this "shocking" affair << golf claps please >>

Well first things first, let us stand the shock vertically so that the schrader valve is on top. Shake the shock a few times to ensure that the oil is all at the bottom of the shock body. Then, with the schrader valve pointing away from you, depressurize the shock by inserting a screwdriver (needle nose pliers work also, a small screw, and Republican officials also fit well in schrader valves). Be careful as you don't get your pretty pretty hands too close to the schrader valve during the depressurizing process as Nitrogen gas moving at such a high velocity will start to freeze over the screw driver, and any other object within the gas' stream.

airshockbreakdown_schrader.jpg

Well with the shock depressurized, we ensure that there is at least at least 7 inches of the shock's shaft protruding from the body -- this will allow us to get to the shock's internals easier. We then lay the shock body down on something soft (carpet, wood, etc..) as to not scratch the shock components. With a rather large channel lock and a rag over its jaws, we then rotate the shock's bearing cap a few turns to break it free. It does not matter which way we rotate the cap as it is not threaded. Our goal is to move the cap a few millimeters out, after which we can then use our hands to pull the cap all the way out.

airshockbreakdown_cap.jpg

With the cap out of the way, we next compress the shaft back into the body an inch or so which will push the bearing housing in and reveal the snap ring used to prevent the shaft from coming out of the body. So with a sharp object (knife, pick, tiny flat head screw driver, Republican official's vampire-like teeth), we pry the snap ring out.

airshockbreakdown_snapring.jpg

With the snap ring free, stand the shock vertically so that the schrader valve is a the bottom -- as to not spill all the oil. We now proceed to pull the shaft out of the body and then dump the oil in a pan.

airshockbreakdown_shaft.jpg

Here are the parts labelled

airshockbreakdown_exploded.jpg

A closer look at one end of the shaft (with the lock nut backed off a few threads)

airshockbreakdown_exploded2.jpg

Well thats pretty much it for the breakdown -- the reassembly is just the opposite.

But a few "lessons learned" :
1) Pay careful careful attention to the parts as you dissassemble the shock, especially the valve stacks as they can not be mixed with each other (or else the valving numbers changes).

2) Upon re-assembly, the shock piston must face all of its four tiny dimples and holes "out" away from the shock's shaft:

airshockbreakdown_piston.jpg

3) If you can not get the shaft to come out enough in order to get to the snap ring, either press the schrader valve down while you pull the shaft out to minimize the vacuum, or just remove the schrader valve from the body using a 9/16" socket.

4) Use Fox's 5-weight shock oil to refill the shock.

With that, I wish you, my fellow Americans, a most joyous Holiday season and happy wheeling!

vikend6_1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cool thanks for the write up. i was considering air shocks, but i like to drive my truck everyday :eek:

Hey, are you filipino?

cool thanks for the write up. i was considering air shocks, but i like to drive my truck everyday :eek:

I have talked to IZwack just a litte about using a setup like his and have been in contact with the company that he got his from. I am sure on what shock to use but i need to know how it reacts on the road. Would running a regular shock on the road help it or could you pressure the air shock up a bit more on the street to make it stiffer. My eXplorer gets about 40 to 50 miles of hwy driving a day because i go to tennessee tech and am currently still at home. I would love to go to a setup like this as long as i can keep it in a daily driver state without spending a but load to make it more stable with air shocks.

Hey, are you filipino?
The answer to this is quite simple: I like adobo :D

I have talked to IZwack just a litte about using a setup like his and have been in contact with the company that he got his from. I am sure on what shock to use but i need to know how it reacts on the road. Would running a regular shock on the road help it or could you pressure the air shock up a bit more on the street to make it stiffer. My eXplorer gets about 40 to 50 miles of hwy driving a day because i go to tennessee tech and am currently still at home. I would love to go to a setup like this as long as i can keep it in a daily driver state without spending a but load to make it more stable with air shocks.
You can always run anti-sway bars -- these are simple enough to make and install. You can probably even modify the stock anti-sway bars to fit your suspension config.

One idea I had was use the limit straps as anti-sway bar. In other words, mount them higher on the chassis during normal driving so that it limits the amount of extensions from the shock. And then mount them to the normal mounting holes for off-roading. But soon my Explorer will be mostly a trailer queen so I guess I needn't worry so much about this.

You can always run anti-sway bars -- these are simple enough to make and install. You can probably even modify the stock anti-sway bars to fit your suspension config.

One idea I had was use the limit straps as anti-sway bar. In other words, mount them higher on the chassis during normal driving so that it limits the amount of extensions from the shock. And then mount them to the normal mounting holes for off-roading. But soon my Explorer will be mostly a trailer queen so I guess I needn't worry so much about this.

Ok well all this info makes them look easy to work on. Not that complex. The use of shorter limit straps makes me want to do this much more. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

IZwack said:

me to :D and nothing better than a little bit of lumpia for appetizer

i modified my stock sway bar to be able to use, but still kinda iffy on the DD aspect. Burns make sure you get at least a 2.5" your explorer weighs 2 tons.

me to :D and nothing better than a little bit of lumpia for appetizer
Serious lumpia factor going on here :D I'm going to crave it for the rest of the day.

how long collasped/extended are those f'ers? how much usable travel?

how long collasped/extended are those f'ers? how much usable travel?

Ah well son of a! Sorry I didn't know you posted on here (never got an E-mail)!
But to answer your question, its 16 inches travel.. and 42 and 5/8ths inches in eye-to-eye length fully extended.

(Subtract 1 inch from the pic below, I start measurements from 1)
fox_shocks_length.jpg

Back