A how to guide on replacing the blower resistor.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

A how to guide on replacing the blower resistor..

fcat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 5.0 V8 Limited
Just for anyone else, i did this on my 98 Ex (uk spec)

Just done this and took me 40 minutes (20 minutes trying to find the bolts i dropped!)

The replacement part in the UK is Ford part number: F4597402

1. Remove the two 8mm bolts that go into the right hand inner wing on this unit (speed control servo ?) then lift it up slightly as theres a tongue at the bottom that slides into a slott in the inner wing.

s3ptav.jpg

2. Unplug the power lead to the bottom of the speed control unit and move the unit away from where your working.

3. Remove the 8mm bolt (mines now a screw as i dropped it putting it back in!!!) from the clip thats holding the 2 metal pipes (you can then move these over slighty to get more room, only 10mm or so but its enough)

59zcqe.jpg

4. Unplug the blower elctrical plug (again this just gives you a bit more room to work in)

25uiqkl.jpg

5.The item below is what your trying to get to (use the 2 metal tubes bracket for reference)

2remrrr.jpg

6. The blower resistor is held in by to 8mm bolts,(see below) remove these scres, i took the one on the left out first as it was harder to get to.

e7ib2b.jpg

7. I also used one of these which was invaluble, however if you dont have one then a 1/4 ratchet drive with a small extension and 8mm socket on the end should be fine.

fdy7h2.jpg

8.Leave the electrical plug connected untill you have the resistor out as there are 2 plastic clips holding it in, one on the top and one on the bottom that you cant get to till its out! It took a couple of minutes to wobble it free due to the rust on the contacts (see below)

9. As you can see from the picture, THIS is the problem, the contacts get rusty on the plug, i used a small flat bladed screwdriver to remove some of the rust till i saw bare metal on the plug and then plugged the new resistor unit it.

2wlym2h.jpg

10. Fit everything back in reverse order!, mine now works on all 4 speed settings:)

I dont know if the resistor was actually faulty or if it was just the rusty contacts that were causing the problem, what you could do is just unplug the electrical plug and try clean the contacts on both the plug and the resistor unit however it will be difficult getting to the resistor contacts without removing it and for the sake of 6 quid its worth putting a new one in i though!

Hope the above helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Superb pics and words mate- I am sure we all thank you for your effort---Gotta do mine and will come back to your post as a guide.............Cheers from Us.

Superb pics and words mate

I agree with H's comments, as I said in your other post.:thumbsup:

Thats a nifty little tool that right angle socket drive - never seen one of those before - can see lots of uses for that.

I agree with H's comments, as I said in your other post.:thumbsup:

Thats a nifty little tool that right angle socket drive - never seen one of those before - can see lots of uses for that.

Yeh ive used it lots of times, its called a sidewinder and you can buy them on ebay i think

Sorry of the re post of this thread but one of the mods was going to make it a "sticky" but deleted it by mistake and asked me to re post it

Should be added to the sticky at the top of the page. Sorry for deleting the other thread, it is a very well written how to.

Ooo been poking round my old tool box in the shed, found a right angled todger pusher with a 30 degree bias.........I forgot I had that!
Lol

blower resistor

hi i did my resistor the other day jacked up n/s cut hole in plastic wheel arch changed resistor. fitted cover to hole. job done in 15 min now have access plate if it plays up again . cheers chris

Still not done mine- but thinkk when I do I will chop out the connector and solder the wires- then hot melt it to seal..seems to be a week point and cant be bothered to do it again!

hi i did my resistor the other day jacked up n/s cut hole in plastic wheel arch changed resistor. fitted cover to hole. job done in 15 min now have access plate if it plays up again . cheers chris

Good info Chris.

Thanks very much for the replies and fab photos - think I may have found an easier way in by removing the inner plastic wheel arch.

I just jacked up the truck a bit, then removed the inner plastic arch and the part was right there underneath the blower as the previous gent had advised.

Doing it this way seems to give better access that going in through the top.
Thanks to everyone for their help and advice - very much appreciated.

Andy

Nice one!!

Just to add a note of caution though - don't fight with the fan drum as you take it out - it's very easy to crack a blade or even worse, the cirumference. It'll then let you know when you run it by either being out of balance and making a noise or by "growing" at higher fan speeds as the crack open up under centrifugal force.

Also, the resistor block itself can fail where the resitors are welded to the connections. If thaht happens, it's really not repairable so replacement is the only way.

Back