I Drive By Brail
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Bronco '80 Toy
Picked up a 1980 Toyota PU to replace the old '92 XLT.

The good:
4" Rancho lift
Crossover steering
5.29's (lockright front, welded rear)
5 spd.
Dual cases w/4.7
35's

The bad:
20r w/ Webber carb
lots of oil leaks

Here's some quick poser shots.
IMGP2595-vi.jpg

IMGP2593-vi.jpg

IMGP2596-vi.jpg

It has a little rust, but not bad for a 28 year old Toyota. Already placed an order for a front end reseal kit, gussets, upgraded studs and a t-case mount/skid.

Plans are to reseal everything first then bob the bed and build some bumpers and a cage.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spent an hour last friday steam cleaning as much of the crap as I could get off the axle and engine. Got there saturday morning to find that the power was out. I should have taken this as a sign of things to come. Once the power came back I got to work. Only to find this:
IMGP2644-vi.jpg

IMGP2646-vi.jpg

IMGP2647-vi.jpg

IMGP2648-vi.jpg

These were supposed to be Longfield's according to the PO. :mad: They are an aftermarket birf but they aint Longs.

Luckily it didn't hurt the inside of the knuckle too bad.

IMGP2658-vi.jpg

So after getting frustrated I settled down and got to work.
Added a set of knuckle gussets (Welds look like crap!),
IMGP2654-vi.jpg

and some ring gear protection.

IMGP2664-vi.jpg

IMGP2665-vi.jpg

Monday I get to order a set of Longs. :rolleyes:

Then I get to do it all over again on the driver side. :bounce:

It gets better!

<dramatic pause><que sad violin music>

Went in today to remove the broken stud from the knuckle only to find two of the 4 holes are stripped. Guess I need to find a right side knuckle as well (I will not attempt to repair the threads as the holes in question are for the steering studs and the last thing I will ever do is run a bandaded steering setup).

LOVE the truck, Mike!!

Bummer you've had a bit of bad luck with that axle though. I can't wait to see it with the bobbed bed and bumpers. Is the cage just going to be for the cab, or are you going to bring it through to the bed as well?

I can only imagine where this thing will take you, considering the places your "stock" explorer did. :eek: :D

The rear bumper is my favorite! :p:

That sucks Mike :( Was it just a stock replacement birf? As far as the knuckle goes that wouldnt be the first problem with studs I have seen, it seems to be a weak spot on them. Either they break or strip out. The 6 shooter knuckles are nice from Trail-Gear but get pricey fast after adding the arms and high steer kit to go with it.

Any plans for the engine? 22RE swap? I think I saw somehwere that you were looking for a 'pane setup - is there one made for that engine? I will keep my eyes out for one.

I'd love to go with the 6 shooter knuckles, but my credit card already hates me (I found a stock knuckle for $50 from FROR). I do have the ARP replacement studs for now (should be alot stronger) and will actually check them to make sure they are tight before any runs. As for the birf, it was most likely a knockoff longfeild. It is a different material than the stock set that came as trail spares, but it is not a Longfield.

Haven't decided on the cage 100%. Being as I'm such a small guy and the cab is soo spacious room is at a premium. The two designs I have narrowed it down to are:

100_4238-vi.jpg

Part external, part internal (not removing the back of the cab though)

or

DSC00596-vi.jpg

A really tight exo similar to this.

I'm not a big fan of exo cages, but if I go that route it will be really tight to the body and follow the body lines as close as possible. It won't be to protect the sheetmetal from damage, just the occupants from injury.

IHaven't decided on the cage 100%. Being as I'm such a small guy and the cab is soo spacious room is at a premium. The two designs I have narrowed it down to are:
Haha, that's good.

I do like both of those ideas. Either a mix of int/exo or a nice tight exo.

Finally got off my butt and got the pasenger side finished (well, almost finished). Still need to get a hub and pull the spindle one more time to install the axle (left it out since I need a snap ring for it still). But its all sealed up otherwise. I did have to notch the crap out of the upper gusset to clear the felt ring but other than that it went back together fairly easy. I did screw up one of the fancy Marlin inner axle seals so I had to place an order for another one as well as the snap ring I needed. Should have the replacement parts in time to finish it up and start the driver side next weekend. Hopefully I'll remember to take the cammera next week. :D

Mike.. what's the process for doing the ring gear protection like that?

Also Mike what days do you usually have off of work? If there were a way that I could get my truck out to the grand junction area this summer would you be able to show me some of the local wheeling there?

I typically have Saturday and Sunday off, but if you are going to be in ther area I'd be more than happy to take a day off and show you around.

dude Matt your coming to Grand Junction? I am so there
21 road?
Dunes and washes all day!
2 hours to Moab

Man thats a long drive for you Matt!
When Rangerx and I drove from Laguna to Moab to wheel for 2.5 days then drive back I was like WTF was I thinking? need to stay in Moab for a week to make that worth it..

Toyota does all those amazing things, then they made the birfield = ouch!

I like that combo cage
Because of Cilin I had to scroll up and look at the rear bumper again LOL
my wife has been bugging me to take her to Grand Junction for wheeling, I have only been once, we always drive right by to Moab, but outside junction is the closest we can get to Borrego Springs :)

My Wife's grandma lives about 45 minutes outside of grand junction. Her parents usually spend about a month back there in the summer. Have her dad tow my truck out then we could fly out for a week visit family and do some wheeling and fly home. None of that 18 hour drive stuff for me :D. We will see what we can do.

Time for an update!
I actually finished the front axle rebuild, and attempted to install the Trail Gear dual case skid/mount. I'm not very impressed. The skid itself is beefy and should hold up no problem. The bad part is none of the holes line up on the frame and it hangs down way to low. I was able to force it to line up 3 of the 8 holes so I could at least get an idea of where in needs to be altered.

IMGP2758-vi.jpg

Plans are to cut the skid off (like this):
plate-vi.jpg

and rebuild the sides to raise the tranny/ t-case up as high as possible (will likely need to move the exhaust up as well).

And you thought just cause you bought a toyota everything would bolt right on. Wish I could see it at moab this year.

And you thought just cause you bought a toyota everything would bolt right on. Wish I could see it at moab this year.

Only thought it would fit, considering it is advertized and sold as fitting! They must of forgot the fine print that says (100% bolt in once you modify it to fit your application).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back