CV axle re boot instructions--- With Pictures!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CV axle re boot instructions--- With Pictures!!!

Turdle

DIY stunt double
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mounty
Well, since I have my truck dis assembled for a very major repair, I had my cv's removed.

I had noticed earlier, the passenger side which I had replaced last summer, had a
"caved in" boot. It no longer acordianed quite right. it isn't cut or split, but it bugged me.

I have 2 of these new boot kits laying around, and, decided since my original cv was replaced only because the boot was torn, it would be a good practice.
Well, it went so well, I do think I have saved the original. and, will use the "remanufactured" as a spare.
I was half way into it, before it hit me to do a how to,
forgive me, as the pictures take up after the cv itself had been cleaned. I will try to used cleaned pics for dis assembly instructions.
Now we will learn together, as I have never had one of these apart before in my life. This is a figure it out as you go deal.

Here is the kit as it comes, with part number

Partnumber-box.jpg

Inside, you will find a boot, a thing of new grease, new metal retaining straps, 2 new metal snap retainers and a cotter pin

inculdedparts.jpg

This procedure assumes you have the cv axle removed from the truck

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187964

Be sure the vehicle is supported well, and, wheels are chokked

Here are the tools I used--( minus a set of side cutters)

toolsneeded.jpg

Pair of lineman pliers
needle nose pliers
internal snap ring pliers
screw driver
hammer
razor blade for cutting the boot

also you want a grease gun loaded with good grease, and,optionally a sealed bearing grease nozzle for the grease gun

greasenipple.jpg

Begin by snipping prying what have you to remove the metal rings on the old boot. Don't worry, as you have new stuff. Once you have the larger ring off the end cup will slide off.

Cut the remaining boot off the shaft. Inside a torn boot you will find this choco mocha pudding, which, does not taste like choco mocha pudding at all, and, is nooo good
mudinsideboot.jpg

the whole mess will come apart, and look like this, but dirtier
squirtgreasealloverrealgood.jpg

Now, look under the 3 rollers, and you will see a snap ring riding in a groove, which stops the roller assembly from sliding further on the splines

lowerringingroove-cvretained.jpg

using a snap ring plier, open up the ring enough to slide it down the shaft, like this
lowersnapringreplace.jpg

this will allow the roller assembly to slide down like this

cvsslidonpastriggroove.jpg

which will expose the smaller wire retaining ring

ringgoingbackontogroove.jpg

Remove the outer ring, and, slide the roller assembly off the shaft

Take note of the inner splines--the blank goes toward the end of the shaft

ridge-orientation.jpg

Clean it all up real good. I used brake cleaner, then sprayed it down with liquid lube.

disassembled.jpg

Now for re assembly
slide on the smaller retaining strap

retainringreinstallposition.jpg

Slide the new boot onto the shaft. it should be hard to slide. If you need some lube, use some spit,and slide it up until it "snaps" onto it's groove.
bootreplaceinsideposition.jpg

install the metal strap over it and lock it tight

innerringon.jpg

at this time let's look at the straps

they come "locked" like this

largeringsnapped--off.jpg

you can unlock em one handed, like this

largeringopened--readytouse.jpg

to allow them to go over the boot, once it is in place

once you have them snapped back together, use a side cutter, and , carefully WITHOUT CUTTING pinch in on the lower portion of the bulged area like this to tighten them down. I used the hammer to tap them down flat when tightened well

bendingthetabstight.jpg

Now back to the cv joint----

Install the new lower ring like this

lowersnapringreplace.jpg

slide on the roller assembly

cvsslidonpastriggroove.jpg

install the new outer retaining ring

ringgoingbackontogroove.jpg

Pull out on the roller assembly now, until you get the outer ring seated under it, and, slide the lower snap ring up into it's groove

lowerringingroove-cvretained.jpg

ok, now the fun

grease up all the rollers well, squirt grease in all areas with the fitting on the grease gun until you are sure there are no dry areas

squirtgreasealloverrealgood.jpg

now, use the supplied grease and fill up the "cup" end ,

fillcupwithgrease.jpg

Slide the 2 parts together

puttingittogether.jpg

Now, Maybe I am wrong here, but I squirted in a lot more grease on top of the mess, rotating the shaft until it was all covered

squirtmoreinontopofeachcv.jpg

and slide the boot on over it

bootinplace.jpg

lock on the large retainer strap

bendingthetabstight.jpg

And put the thing back in your truck

newbootintruck.jpg

Hopefully, this will help someone save a few bucks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sticky!

Awesome write up. Thanks.

Did the clear & blue grease come with the rebuild kit? All greases are not compatible with one another. I was taught this 10 years ago in a bearing class put on by SKF.

Did the clear & blue grease come with the rebuild kit? All greases are not compatible with one another. I was taught this 10 years ago in a bearing class put on by SKF.

Ooops
Hopefully my grease is compatible with the blue stuff. hmmm

It's certainly better than it was. I'm sleeping better on this one for now.

This is one of the best write ups I've seen. Bravo! :thumbsup:

do you think this would be possible with the axle still in the truck? i dont want to pull it apart if i dont have to. matt

98 explorer front axel

Thanks, that just what I need.

Replaced CV boots

Very informative and pictures were awesome.
Thanks.

I seem to recall that blue greases are water proof/resistant . That was the colour used on amphibious 'copters .

Info for replacing the outer CV boot

Hey Turdle, I know this post has some age, but the data is still great. I need to change the outer CV boot only. Can I remove the outer shaft of drive axle that is in the spindle after removing the CV clamp just as you had done for the inner CV boot? Or is there something more holding it into place other than the CV boot?
Thanks

The CV joint that the pictures show is the joint closest to the differential case. I have a torn boot that is closest to the spindle. From what I have read on this forum, the CV joint near the spindle can not be disassembled. Thus the entire shaft needs to be pulled out; then the CV boot near the spindle must be changed by pulling off the inner and outer boots both to get the job done. Can you confirm the boot nearest the spindle can or can't be changed without needing to pull both boots?

This is an awesome posting. I came here looking for any info about switching from cv's to u-joints. I have to admit though I may just follow this to the letter. Thanks for the pics VERY helpful!!!

Would the inner and outer boots be the same kit? I need to replace both of them on my wife's X dirver side.

TIA

So I've decided to not use the retainer rings and instead use plumbing rings to do this job (the ones with the screw tightener)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back