• Register Today It's free!

MFT Gen2 demo from yours truly!

baxterdown

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Hey, guys! I made a quick video for y’all demoing MFT gen 2. So, considering I’m not a professional, here are my early biased opinions when comparing it to what we have now.

Speed. It’s definitely faster. The transitions are elegant and responsive to the touch. Yes, they take too long for my taste, but they are very smooth. – Note the phone “no-go” when I touched it the first time. Don’t know what that was. It could have been that I didn’t press enough or that the system had a hiccup. Don’t forget these cars are running on limited/converted power during these shows.

Looks. I like the looks. It’s more refined and serious. The square buttons look better.

Map. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! The map looks A LOT nicer. I am sure it’s gonna perform better also; now that we are going back to Navteq, things should be where they really are!

Voice Control. Look at the video and judge for yourselves. It’s much, much faster and much more responsive! And, look how fast it computes the destination. It made me giggle :)

Screen. It appears that Ford did away with the haptic screen on our Explorers. The screen on the Taurus doesn’t have the “give” ours do.

THE MILLION DOLLAR QUESTION IS... When I tried MFT version 1 last year in an Edge, it worked like a charm. It was fast and responsive and very cool to use. Much like what my experience was with version 2 today. We all know what version 1 turned out to be. So, it remains to be seen how the system will behave in the real world.

Enjoy! :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The coolest part was how responsive the voice control was. I noticed the "Listening" appeared very quickly. Cool.

Thanks for the video :)

baxterdown,

Thank you for the update "from the front lines"! This is a huge improvement from the current voice activated NAV features on our EXs, as it's quite the cluster F to get the NAV to recognize anything you attempt to input by voice (no wonder there are reports of broken MFT screens!). Looking forward to the big release!

everyone else(not myself) is going to ask about the temperature display next to the clock....... is it gone for good? :)

Go back and play with more settings!

Nice job, expecially for using a camera phone to grab that.
Hopefully we won't have long to wait now.

Thanks for the teaser! I just might have to go Cobo this weekend and check things out!

Thanks for that.

I thought the IVT person said they were restoring the temp display to the main screen for the Explorer for the production version.

I think I'm heading up to Cobo next week. Have to check it out on the cars there. Hopefully there is an Explorer with the new version on display.

Of course, the most interesting part will be how it works in the real world, and not in demo mode.

thanks baxterdown for the sneek peek ... now if only they hurry up and send that USB ... I really hope this works in actual like with the same speed and elegance!

thanks baxterdown for the sneek peek ... now if only they hurry up and send that USB ... I really hope this works in actual like with the same speed and elegance!

What we need is a beta tester to leak the sw! I would gladly give it a test!

currently I just say "name", or "category" and it works fine (2.11), but the responsiveness on the screen is much faster, you can really see the hardware acceleration at play. I'm going to assume the hiccup on the trying to get to the phone is because the last paired phone is no longer in range. Everything else is as fast as any other aftermarket touch screen system I've had in the past.

Thanks for the demo...

Interestingly enough my voice commands on 2.11 work just as smooth as what you demo'd here. With the exception of the amount of time for it to boot up when you first start the car. The POI list however on the current system is missing so much that searching by POI currently turns out to be a useless exercise.

everyone else(not myself) is going to ask about the temperature display next to the clock....... is it gone for good? :)

He'd have to verify that the car he's in has outside temperature sensors. So maybe show whether the temp is on the right gauge cluster screen first.

I think it's funny that temp on the main screen is like the number one complaint everyone has had with any of the new demo videos :) if that's the biggest thing that anyone notices/questions then maybe Ford actually did something right :)

Great vid, thanks. Looks very nice and is indeed faster. I like the fade in-out on the screen changes. But, it is an old trick to give the illusion of faster switching.

Great vid, thanks. Looks very nice and is indeed faster. I like the fade in-out on the screen changes. But, it is an old trick to give the illusion of faster switching.

Yes it is. I bet it is just as slow, just dosnt "appear" to be laggy. Im actually one of the few happy with it now. Could it be better? Sure, everything i own could be better....but so far, i have no issues.

I don't like the fade in/out of the screen's but I guess it's better than the screen sitting there for a second, appearing like it did not recognize my command.

With today's hardware/software there is no reason not to have lighting fast screen changes like we see on our other devices!

I was just looking at the 2013 gallery at Ford.com and the interior pictures showing the MFT do not show the temperature next to the time.

Peter

I noticed that too Peter. Good riddance! It is so much nicer with a big clock in the center up there and no temp display to clutter up the screen :D

Rec'd my 'MyFord Touch' magazine in the mail today. Doesn't add toooo much to what we've been seeing other than this is the so called 'Winter' edition of the magazine and as they are putting the upgrade info in the magazine (nice and glossy like pg 7), it seems like they are committed getting very close to release. Following some links in the add, the upgrade is will take about an hour. It can be done while driving. Outlet mall is 59 minutes from home so I'm telling my wife we have to do it the driveway.

I noticed that too Peter. Good riddance! It is so much nicer with a big clock in the center up there and no temp display to clutter up the screen :D

Grrrrr - need temperature - wife will kill me if that disappears, and remember Ford ... you'll be next on her list! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rec'd my 'MyFord Touch' magazine in the mail today. Doesn't add toooo much to what we've been seeing other than this is the so called 'Winter' edition of the magazine and as they are putting the upgrade info in the magazine (nice and glossy like pg 7), it seems like they are committed getting very close to release. Following some links in the add, the upgrade is will take about an hour. It can be done while driving. Outlet mall is 59 minutes from home so I'm telling my wife we have to do it the driveway.
MyFord Touch has a magazine??? Does it require a subscription? This is the first I've heard of it.

As for the driving while upgrading the MFT. Are you sure about that. I thought I read somewhere that the vehicle had to be stationary but with the engine running, but that was for 2.11. Perhaps I just imagined that.:scratch:

Peter

Back