• Register Today It's free!

Transmission

socialized jerk

Reaction score
City, State
Port Clinton, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Ranger
I have a 1997 Ranger with the 2.3 and the 4r44e transmission. The transmission just started slamming between 1st and 2nd gear. Up and down. The speedometer quit working at the same time. I've changed both speed sensors, the one in the rear end and the one on the transmission itself, and also changed the filter and fluid. Still the same problem. I saw somewhere here of someone having the same problem, but can't find it again.

Any idea of what to do next? Anyone else have or had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Best of my knowledge, the '97 uses a gear driven speed sensor mounted at the back of the transmission. Is that the one you changed?

If so, think the 1st thing I'd look for is to verify it's internal driven gear is engaging in the drive gear on the transmission output shaft.

2nd, the wiring for the VSS is very simple, a grey/black wire provides the speed signal to the engine PCM, ABS, Cruise and Dash and a ground wire.

I'd make sure the ground is good and you've got continuity between the VSS and PCM on that grey/black wire.

Thanks! Yes, I changed the speed sensor at the out put shaft. The nylon gear did not come with the new sensor, and I had to use the old one. Can't find a new nylon gear anywhere for it. The old gear was pretty worn. That may be the problem. Any suggestion on where I might fine the new nylon gear for it?

Will also check out the wiring, for a bad ground. Every once in a while, the speedometer and transmission will start working as it should, and then stops again. The truck has just shy of 200,000 miles on it with about 50,000 miles since I replaced the transmission with this rebuilt unit.

Thanks again, for your reply.

Hi,I have xlt-2016, but when on Heat On I stop at red light and give throttle it keep on hard time to shift gears..and rpm goes 3 for all shifts. And Ford service guys says no problem.It seems I am driving 4 cyl car.
Mine XLt is 6 cyl no ecoboost 4 wd

Back