• Register Today It's free!

96 5.0 whine and spark arc...

JB5587

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Ranger 5.0
Okay, So I just did a swap into my 2003 Ranger and I'm getting some issues. I pulled the motor out of an Expo, built it, and put it in. Got it running and it runs good from what I can tell (hard to tell smoothness with E303 cam lope). Today, I started it up and I heard a REALLY loud hissing/almost whining, but not anything like in Youtube videos of 5.0 whine, coming from the engine. I walked up there and saw the #8 spark plug wire (brand new Motorcraft 8mm) arcing off of the aluminum shroud up to the valve cover. Bad ground to block maybe? Might be coming from block, through the shroud, to the valve cover. Thinking of running a better ground to the frame.

Regardless, I looked up some info on the noise... I read about the cam synchronizer on multiple threads here, and it dawned on me that I may have not installed it properly. I don't know if this is the noise, but I removed it when my entire engine was torn apart and when I put it back in, I think I tightened it up without repositioning it properly thinking I'd come back to it or something. I now don't have the marks. Now I'm wondering HOW that thing is positioned in there and if the engine was even at TDC anymore... I'm not SUPER familiar with CPS's, but I get the general gist of them. How do I know if there is an issue, what issues would it cause, and can I do anything to reposition it without the tool? I was going to take the truck out this weekend, but I don't know if I should drive it if the CPS is off.

Any help is appreciated. I JUST got done with this swap....

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l...8842672_1719137320236708049_n_zpssvha5csl.jpg

Video of the truck:
http://vid97.photobucket.com/albums/l225/cobra5587/video-1424827938.mp4_zpse7sopem9.mp4

Well figured out the noise thankfully. Vacuum hose right by the coil pack was loose causing the screeching like noise. Very happy about that. Next issue is trying to find out why I'm getting arc from the motor... Brand new plug wires, so probably not the issue. The fact that it's coming from the aluminum shield leads me to believe that it is in fact just traveling through that from another part of the block, and hitting the valve cover

If a plug wire is arcing it's insulation has failed. Try a new wire.

Thats the thing. Its coming from the aluminum shield on the plug wire which sits very close to the block and goes up near the valve cover. I'll cut it off and see if I can replicate it.

Back