• Register Today It's free!

exhaust question for 02 ex 4.6l

ryangtp89

Reaction score
City, State
Bucksport, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Took me awhile to decide what 8 wanted for an exhaust system. All the catback they make are too quiet in my opinion. Soo I'm going to just switch the stock muffler with a dynomax race bullet. My question is which one would I need and what hardware will I need. I'd like to know what size and length piping I should get and what size exhaust clamps and how many. Also I heard of people removing the 3rd cat ?I was also thinking of a flowmaster 10 series

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you want to make some noise... I have the FM 70 series with 3rd cat removed and 2.5' exhaust run in stock location. Plenty loud for me.

To keep it simple, I'd just cut the stock muffler out and replace it with whatever you decide to use. The length of pipe you need will be determined how long the new muffler is. The factory exhaust is 2 1/4"s. If you decide to remove the 3rd cat, you'll need a 3" that reduces down to a 2 1/4" to make it all work.

Personally, I'd ask around and find a shop that would do the work for you. I paid $250 to have my exhaust done, but I showed up with the 3rd cat cut off because most shops won't do that. So just buy a muffler, cut off what you don't want and have someone else piece it together. Welded will be better than clamps to avoid leaks and whatnot.

Sounds good. I think for now I'll keep the 3rd cat and do a flowmaster super 10 series in place of the old muffler. It's just too bad flowmaster charges . $70-100 for a muffler that will rot out in less than 2 years in the northeast. But they sound good!

Soo i will need a 2 1/4 super 10 on both sides ? And do you know if I need the center in center out or the offset on one side and which side or both of set ? Thanks alot!

Sounds good. I think for now I'll keep the 3rd cat and do a flowmaster super 10 series in place of the old muffler. It's just too bad flowmaster charges . $70-100 for a muffler that will rot out in less than 2 years in the northeast. But they sound good!

Soo i will need a 2 1/4 super 10 on both sides ? And do you know if I need the center in center out or the offset on one side and which side or both of set ? Thanks alot!

Just checked out FM website and it doesn't appear that you can get a 2 1/4" muffler. Since it's going to be hella loud, you might as well save the money and either get a glasspack or just straight pipe it?

Just went out and bought the super 44. 2.50" center in 2.5" offset out. Bought two 2.50" to 2.25" reducers and a 18" 2.25" pipe. Now I'm off to get some grill paint to paint the muffler for extra protection against this crap they put on the roads during the winter (calcium) I did the same setup on my 01 durango 4.7 and it was perfect.

Can you post a video once your done installing? Thanks

Back