Very repeatable 5R55S problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very repeatable 5R55S problem

Lloyd1911

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
I have a 2004 explorer xlt and started having trans problems. It is very repeatable, whenever you brake very hard or even semi-hard, and then resume acceleration from the stop the transmission slips very badly. This does not happen when you brake normally, but I can reproduce it every time I brake hard.

The work I have done was replaced solenoid pack with oem part, replaced filter trans filter (motorcraft), refilled fluid as per FordTechMakuloco.

The fluid was still reddish, did not smell burnt, no metal in pan, very little "fuzz" on magnet.

Never had O/D light flash or codes.

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd1911

I have a 2004 explorer xlt and started having trans problems. It is very repeatable, whenever you brake very hard or even semi-hard, and then resume acceleration from the stop the transmission slips very badly. This does not happen when you brake normally, but I can reproduce it every time I brake hard.

The work I have done was replaced solenoid pack with oem part, replaced filter trans filter (motorcraft), refilled fluid as per FordTechMakuloco.

The fluid was still reddish, did not smell burnt, no metal in pan, very little "fuzz" on magnet.

Never had O/D light flash or codes.

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd1911

Are you DEAD CERTAIN there is adequate fluid in the trans? If it were me, I would throw in two quarts and see if anything acts differently, before thinking of tearing things apart. It's surprising how easy it is to UNDERFILL the 5R55S. It's also REAL EASY to drain an OVERFILL down to FULL. imp

Are you DEAD CERTAIN there is adequate fluid in the trans? If it were me, I would throw in two quarts and see if anything acts differently, before thinking of tearing things apart. It's surprising how easy it is to UNDERFILL the 5R55S. It's also REAL EASY to drain an OVERFILL down to FULL. imp

Thanks for the reply Imp,

My wife was complaining about the trans acting up, I test drove it awhile and did notice some shift flaring and hard shifts so I dropped the pan and as per FordTechMakuloco I rolled the dice since the fluid looked good and no metal, and replaced the solenoid pack.

She drove it for a couple of weeks and said it was better, but we went to a Christmas party and I drove, and she mentioned how it still acted funny after a hard stop so I tried hard braking multiple times and I'll be danged if it didn't slip after every hard stop.

I'm assuming the fluid is low and when you brake hard it gathers at the front of the pan and starves the trans of fluid for a moment?

I'm tempted to do a full trans flush since as far as I know the fluid has never been changed. 116,000 miles. Good idea?

Back