5r55s multiple codes.........

03explorereb

Reaction score
City, State
cuba, missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 explorer xlt
Gents ,
I posted under the 06-up section that I was having trouble with my 5r55s in my 06 expy 4x4 V6. I could pull no codes until now. all of a sudden a flurry of codes popped up last night. bringing you up to speed, here's what the codes are:

p1780-TCS (O/D CANCEL)
P0732-GEAR 2 INCORRECT RATIO
P0735-GEAR 5 INCORRECT RATIO
P0750-SOLENOID "A" MALFUNCTION
P0753-SOLENOID "A" ELECTRICAL
P0765-SOLENOID "D" MALFUNCTION
P0768-SOLENOID "D" ELECTRICAL

I let about a pint of transmission fluid out into a clean pan to check condition of the fluid. bear in mind that I just changed the fluid and filter about 1000 miles ago. the previous owner supposedly had the transmission rebuilt (by whom, I have no idea,no paperwork ). I did the refill and level check per specs. Mercon V Valvoline on the refill. there was what appeared to be clutch material in the fluid and some metal tidbits small enough to pass through the weep hole upon inspection of the current fluid. I might be stupid for doing this but whenever I get a vehicle I change out all fluids. in my mind it's just a good thing to do.

the problem seems to be progressing pretty fast because the transmission was grinding in second but shifting fairly smoothly about 3 days ago and now I am getting a shift point past 3k from second to third with no upshift past third.

I have some theories. I know at this point the transmission is done and now I am looking for a replacement but I am just wanting to make sure this problem is not electrical and going to arise again on the new transmission. I hope the problem is purely mechanical and not electrical, as in transmission control module failure. what do you guys think? could be a thousand things right?
I was thinking band failure do to servo bore wear? transmission might have been "rebuilt" but if the servo bores were not addressed on this and this is the original case (overall mileage is 173000) would this be the culprit? I don't know jack diddly squat about the 5r's to make a decent guess. again, any input is greatly appreciated!!!:salute:

Back