• Register Today It's free!

Wrench light 2011 Explorer

Bob71

Reaction score
City, State
New Orleans, LA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer Limited
I have a 2011 Explorer limited with 23500 miles about 2 weeks ago it started with a wrench light coming on over the tach. When it comes on you loose all throttle (no gas pedal at all NOTHING) when you hit OK for the wrench the tach comes back on and it is tach at 1000 rpm you give it the gas nothing. It will continue to roll until you put your foot on the break to stop it and if you release the break it will start rolling again. If you put it in neutral still no throttle control and still tacking at 1000 rpm. Shut it off and restart everything go back to normal. This has happen 3 day in a row, brought it to dealer they had it 1 week drove it 300 miles and it did not occur again. (Can't see can't fix) But the third time it happened I took a video which they have a copy of. But even with the video they still can't fix it because the COMPUTER did not give a code for turning the WRENCH ON.

I told the dealer that at Ford someone knows why the light came on. something turned the light on and disconnected the throttle code or no code.

After I got it back it happened again with my wife an now she has a video of it and I have told Dealer that I have it on video again. We are now weighting to see what the service manager is going to do next.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? I could not find anything on the site.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2011 Explorer limited with 23500 miles about 2 weeks ago it started with a wrench light coming on over the tack. When it comes on you loose all throttle (no gas pedal at all NOTHING) when you hit OK for the wrench the tack comes back on and it is tacking at 1000 rpm you give it the gas nothing. It will continue to roll until you put your foot on the break to stop it and if you release the break it will start rolling again. If you put it in neutral still no throttle control and still tacking at 1000 rpm. Shut it off and restart everything go back to normal...

Hi Bob71,

I want to look into this and see how I can help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll get to work on some options to assist.

Crystal

The wrench came on again yesterday evening as my wife was pulling into the driveway. I got in the car without any throttle (no gas pedal working) and went around the block twice at a speed of 5 mph.

I spoke to the dealership and they want the car back in the shop tomorrow morning.

The wrench came on again yesterday evening as my wife was pulling into the driveway. I got in the car without any throttle (no gas pedal working) and went around the block twice at a speed of 5 mph.

I spoke to the dealership and they want the car back in the shop tomorrow morning.

If they can't diagnose it again, next time it happens(hopefully close to a dealer), just idle it there without shutting it off. Not reasonable, but might be the only option.

That is what I told my wife the only problem the dealer is 20 mile away. (4 hr trip)
My other choice was to send it on a wrecker with the engine running.

I hope it does it on the way tomorrow and I can have them meet me wherever it does it.

There was another issue on another thread where a dealer said it could not diagnose a problem without the warning light on.

I don't get this. A computer tech can look at everything that has gone on with my laptop I am presently typing on - including any past crashes and the reason for them.

Since cars are computerized these days, I don't see why Ford can't hook up their diagnostic equipment and see why the warning light came on.

A CEL throws codes that stay until you clear them. I wold expect the wrench warning light to throw some internal codes that would remain given how computerized cars are these days.

Since this does not appear to be the case with Fords, perhaps they can program that in to future models to make it easier for everyone?

If you bought the car new part of your warranty is "Roadside Assistance". Use it, call and let them send some one out and wrecker it in if necessary. Cost you nothing but the aggravation.

I have full coverage. When they had it the first week they paid for a rental.
Which part of that went to the power steering recall. I also brought it in with a full tank of gas and received it back with a full tank of gas and washed ( they drove it almost 300 miles trying to make it fail again)

An I said the same thing IF YOU TURN A LIGHT ON WHY IS IT NOT LOGGED FOR ANY REASON. SOMETHING TOLD THE COMPUTER TO TURN THE LIGHT ON. I was told that sometimes it has to fail several times before a code is recorded.

If it's undriveable, have roadside assistance tow it to the dealer... I wouldn't wait on the dealer to decide what to do. They can keep putting you off indefinitely if the vehicle isn't there, but hard to ignore when it's dropped off at the service bays. If it's not drivable (max 1000rpm as you stated) there's an issue that needs to be resolved and they need to escalate that to Ford if their Techs can't resolve it.

If the wrench is lit, do a vehicle health report from the MFT system so it phones home to Ford.

If it's drivable, drive it to a parts store like autozone, advance auto, etc and they can scan it for free and see if there are any stored codes. If the wrench light came on, there is a stored code. If the wrench code comes on and there's no code, them something is wrong with your PCM.

If you were near me, I could plug in my laptop with Autoenginuity and the pull codes or data log for you.

I think the dealer is pulling you leg about not having any codes set.

The computer can delete a code if the problem isn't present.
I don't think the dealer is screwing with you. Just drop it off again and see what happens. Hopefully it'll come on while they have it.

You could always buy a cheapo code reader. I have a scan gauge, cost a whole $50

Thanks to everyone

PROBLEM SOLVED

I was on the way to the dealer going up an overpass at the time the wrench came on it just made it to the top so I came down a little of over the 5mph. When I got to the bottom I started pulling off the road, right near a main intersection. I called the Service manager told him where I was (about 10 miles away at 8:15 this morning) he told me to keep the car running that he was sending someone out to meet me.

I was right off the highway where cars were going by at 55 and 60 mph so I let the car roll to the intersection when traffic cleared to get to a gas station on the other side of the intersection. In less than 30 min the Service Supervisor came with the computer read the code he needed and had the part with him. I told him that the engine was hot he said he could change it. It was the THROTTLE BODY that was telling the car it was wide open so the system shuts off the throttle so the car won't run away and the safety feature is to do 5 mph so you can get off the road. He changed it out in about 15 min.

He said he had never seen one go out on an Explorer before he said that he seen it on
F150 and Escape. When he was finished he said I could go back home and he would send the paper work by mail. But he also said the next time I was in he wanted to change out the battery because it looked like it might be leaking. So I said I would meet him at the dealership I was on my way anyway.

They change out the battery (about 30 min.) and I was back on my way.
My Dealership is Lamarque Ford in Kenner, LA.
I told them how much I appreciated them working with me on this problem. Beyond what any other dealership would have done.

Thanks to everyone

PROBLEM SOLVED

I was on the way to the dealer going up an overpass at the time the wrench came on it just made it to the top so I came down a little of over the 5mph. When I got to the bottom I started pulling off the road, right near a main intersection. I called the Service manager told him where I was (about 10 miles away at 8:15 this morning) he told me to keep the car running that he was sending someone out to meet me.

I was right off the highway where cars were going by at 55 and 60 mph so I let the car roll to the intersection when traffic cleared to get to a gas station on the other side of the intersection. In less than 30 min the Service Supervisor came with the computer read the code he needed and had the part with him. I told him that the engine was hot he said he could change it. It was the THROTTLE BODY that was telling the car it was wide open so the system shuts off the throttle so the car won't run away and the safety feature is to do 5 mph so you can get off the road. He changed it out in about 15 min.

He said he had never seen one go out on an Explorer before he said that he seen it on
F150 and Escape. When he was finished he said I could go back home and he would send the paper work by mail. But he also said the next time I was in he wanted to change out the battery because it looked like it might be leaking. So I said I would meet him at the dealership I was on my way anyway.

They change out the battery (about 30 min.) and I was back on my way.
My Dealership is Lamarque Ford in Kenner, LA.
I told them how much I appreciated them working with me on this problem. Beyond what any other dealership would have done.
Thanks for the follow up.

What great service from a dealer!

I had the same problem (twice in 4 days) with my 2012 Explorer. Wrench light on, RPM 1000 MAX. Just like you, Ford couldn't find error code. They suggested I keep driving it until we could somehow get to the bottom of it. Both times it stopped at an intersection and nearly got rear ended once.

I hate throwing money on parts without knowing the real cause, but I insisted they try something because I wasn't going to drive it when it stalls at a intersection. They had heard of similar problems on other Ford units caused from faulty throttle units. They installed a $351.00 Part # FMC-AT4Z-9E926-B Throttle Body. After 3 days, have not seen the problem again.

I was glad to see your post to know I wasn't the only one. I'm encouraged to learn you also replace the Throttle Body. Maybe this is be end of this adventure...!

Glad my experience helped someone else. The Service Manager told me that they need to have the code on the computer so the can get their money for the part and labor from Ford on warranty work.

The Service manager knew from the first time what was wrong with the car that is why he had the part with him when he came to read the code when I was on the side of the road.

I also told them how unsafe it was for the car to loss almost all power. If my car would have not stopped on the way in I was told I would not have gotten it backed until it did it for them. Because they said the problem almost always gets worse.

The throttle body error is "a runaway throttle". Which is the throttle is indicating a wide open throttle so the throttle is disconnected and set at 1000 rpm. So my question is why do they need a computer code to tell them that.
It was changed to do this because of what the error is called runaway throttle you had to use your breaks to stop the car with a wide open throttle.

They should replace the part not you.

http://www.ibtimes.com/ford-recalls-485000-ford-escape-suvs-unintended-acceleration-731955

I am going through the exact same thing right now. I have a 2011 Ford Explorer XLT with 35,000 miles on it which is crazy because guess what...the warranty is out due to time...not miles. I cannot afford an expensive fix.
It was at the dealership all day yesterday, finally popped up the code at 5 p.m., said there was contamination on the throttle body and air filter. Cleaned the throttle body and replaced a new air filter. Went 2 miles down the road and it did the exact same thing.

I was just told by the service department that the throttle body would have to be replaced and that it is not covered and would be customer pay $518.00!!!

I was just told by the service department that the throttle body would have to be replaced and that it is not covered and would be customer pay $518.00!!!

Hi eglirlw24,

Send me a PM with your info; I want to see what I can do to help. In your message, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, current mileage, and servicing dealership.

Crystal

So I've been going this problem with my wife's 2011xlt, it has 52,000 miles on it for the last month wrench light goes off dealer can't find anything,yesterday it did it to my wife twice within 5 miles of driving except the 2nd time it came on the check engine light came on and stayed on I told her take it to the nearest dealer while the lights on, they found the throttle body was bad. I called fords recall line of course nothing for an explorer, only the fusion,escape,and f150s but it's no big deal on your explorer. Ford is not going to do anything for you if your warranty is up. They quoted me $540 for parts and labor. So you can go on eBay and find these throttle bodies from dealerships between $200-300 bucks my dealer quoted me $415 retail price but he'd give it to me for $351 crap and we have to "reprogram it" that's $122 yeah you have to disconnect the battery cable and it resets everything like I'm a dummy. Even talked to the tech that put it back together in 30 min he said if you don't know just take off the battery cable it'll reset which I already knew. So that's my rant for my first post here felt inclined to make a forum name here just to let people know it's happening to other people too. Maybe we will get enough complaints like the other models to make it a recall and I can get a refund for the throttle body I'm gonna buy and install myself, thanks.

Welcome to the Forum Grabber2012.:wavey:
The throttle body has really not been a big issue on this forum. It, like other mechanical parts is subject to failure. Ford's response of not covering it under warranty is also understandable since your factory warranty has run out. That is one reason ESP's are offered. As for being able to do the work yourself, I'm happy to hear that and that you will be able to save some money doing it. Most of us are not that fortunate. Good luck and feel free to 'rank' here anytime.:)

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Grabber2012.:wavey:
The throttle body has really not been a big issue on this forum. It, like other mechanical parts is subject to failure. Ford's response of not covering it under warranty is also understandable since your factory warranty has run out. That is one reason ESP's are offered. As for being able to do the work yourself, I'm happy to hear that and that you will be able to save some money doing it. Most of us are not that fortunate. Good luck and feel free to 'rank' here anytime.:)

Peter

I actually didn't expect them to replace the throttle body when I found out what it was but it's a big safety hazard that has been the reason for the recalls on other models just not the explorer. Meanwhile this problem keeps happening and the dealer can't tell you what's wrong when you restart your vehicle cause there's no code now meanwhile this seems to be an inherent issue in quite a few models,with the same symptoms.

Back