• Register Today It's free!

Factory amp&subwoofer

adambombsaway

Reaction score
City, State
Jordan, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer limited
I have a 1999 Explorer Limited ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. When I bought it, it had an aftermarket stereo head unit in it. They gave me the factory stereo with it which I would like to put back in since I've realized that my explorer has a cd changer, factory amp and subwoofer in it none of which work with the aftermarket head unit and neither do the steering wheel controls for the stereo. However the back of the head unit has 4 connections only 2 of which have pins. The is one that says amp but has no pins. There is 3 harnesses in the dash. I'm curious if they gave me the actual factory HU. The model they gave me is xl2f-18c868-bb. But I don't see how it's supposed to power the factory amp if in fact it is the correct head unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated since I'm absolutely stumped. The only thing I can think is that the factory hu is not in fact the correct one for the factory amp and sub. When I hook up the unit the steering wheel controls and cd changer work but nothing with the amp or sub.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can I see a picture of the head unit?

If the steering wheel controls work, it should be the right headunit. Only limited Explorers came with Steering wheel controls.

That's the correct radio for the Limited. that's odd.
Are you sure there are no pins for it in the radio? And that it's not just covered with some plastic?

Could there possibly be a bypass harness which was installed with the aftermarket HU? Just a thought.

Could there possibly be a bypass harness which was installed with the aftermarket HU? Just a thought.

Not on a 99, since the amp is built into the head unit. It's just the subwoofer amp that's separate.

I appreciate all the answers and advice. As far as it being covered by plastic I'll have to see if the plastic insert that says all on it acutely has pins behind it. If find it really of if that was the case that would mean it's never been hooked up since it change out of the factory.

It may just be a new radio they gave you.

Back