Stalling, misfiring, not going above 45 then OK? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stalling, misfiring, not going above 45 then OK?

Jason94sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB V8
My 1st gen had a fit the other night. I have no idea what happened. I started it & it was misfiring a little. I still drove it thinking I'd deal with it later. It still ran decently.
Parked & a few hours later tried to go home.
I slowed down for a light & the engine died. I was able to put it in N & restart but it sputtered & I had to give it gas to not die again. It was misfiring really bad, CEL was on & every time I slowed down it would die. I couldn't get over 45mph either without the truck stalling. It did this for about 5 miles to get home. Didn't think I was going to make it.
Then as I was turning onto my street after restarting I heard a boom sound(back fire maybe) & the X started to run fine.
This morning I looked everything over, plugs & wires are good, MAS is good, IAC TPS fine. No vacuum leaks. The thing seems to run perfectly fine now....
WTF?
I'm thinking maybe the coil pack? 93 & it's original. No codes as I disconnected the battery for 10 minutes this morning.

Other than the bang, your symptoms remind me of how mine behaved with an intermittent weak fuel pump. One of my first diagnostic suggestions would be to check the fuel pressure, the next time these symptoms occur.

Back