• Register Today It's free!

Trans cooler question

Metal_Marquis

Reaction score
City, State
KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Monti
I just bought a 94 Explorer Limited and noticed that it has an external trans cooler, mounted just behind the grille in front of the condenser.

I thought these trucks had the fluid cooler integrated into the radiator.
Is this an aftermarket add on?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you got the towing package (or was it just part of the Limited series?). Either way, it's factory. It runs through the radiator and then into the auxiliary cooler then back to the trans. Running through the radiator helps it heat up in the winter in colder climates and also brings it down to engine temp when running hot so the auxiliary cooler can do a better job.

For what it's worth, I also have a 94 Limited with what appears to be all of the available options but it doesn't have an auxiliary transmission cooler (or someone removed it - I'm the third owner). It does have what appears to be a factory towing package (the receiver type hitch, etc.). Although I almost never tow, I do wish it had an auxiliary cooler. Thanks to MindBender0001 for the information - I may add one (after replacing the radiator with an all-aluminum 3 row unit).

For what it's worth, I also have a 94 Limited with what appears to be all of the available options but it doesn't have an auxiliary transmission cooler (or someone removed it - I'm the third owner). It does have what appears to be a factory towing package (the receiver type hitch, etc.)

Interesting.

Here is what my trans cooler looks like
10610769_921803984500548_4441303856514917854_n.jpg

It looks factory to me.

My 94 doesn't have a traditional hitch, just a ball on the bumper.
10635970_921803961167217_8806171433030878075_n.jpg

Hopefully I can get it tagged and do some work to it tomorrow.

Larry, where you lookin at getting the three row from? Got a link?

Interesting.

Here is what my trans cooler looks like
10610769_921803984500548_4441303856514917854_n.jpg

It looks factory to me.

My 94 doesn't have a traditional hitch, just a ball on the bumper.
10635970_921803961167217_8806171433030878075_n.jpg

Hopefully I can get it tagged and do some work to it tomorrow.

That first pic is of your power steering cooler

There is no power steering cooler on 1st gens, at least from the factory. That cooler is definitely an auxiliary trans cooler. The lines going into it come out of the radiator and then once through that aux cooler, go back to the hardlines to the trans.

I have a 91 xlt & it has the factory trans. cooler on it & only a bumper hitch . But it had a 4 wire hook up rolled up underneath it . The only problem the wires were not the 4 wires you really need for a trailer . Not sure what they were intended for . you need right turn , left turn , parking lights & a ground . when I hooked it to my trailer the turn signals worked but no parking lights had to rewire it .

There is no power steering cooler on 1st gens, at least from the factory. That cooler is definitely an auxiliary trans cooler. The lines going into it come out of the radiator and then once through that aux cooler, go back to the hardlines to the trans.

Every Explorer I have seen has one of those coolers, which leads me to believe it isn't part of a special tow package, unless they were all equipped with a special tow package. Of course, I haven't seen every Explorer ever built, either, so I could be wrong. Now don't get me wrong, it makes sense if it is an external trans cooler hooked up to the radiator, I guess it just didn't seem like it was an option or anything. I could have sworn mine is hooked up to my PS unit…guess I'll have to look at it some time

Yea, I don't know if the auxiliary cooler was for the towing package or not. I don't know what else was included in the towing package if it was... I don't have a receiver hitch or factory wiring harness. It could be a regional thing, where Ford put them on for vehicles delivered to southern parts of the US?

I've never seen a power steering cooler for the Explorers, factory anyway. No mention of it either. There's only 2 hoses for the power steering pump, the pressure and return. There's no aftermarket option for a longer return hose that is bent differently to go to a cooler up front. With that said though, I've been toying with the idea of installing one. I know these pumps run DANG hot and being how cheaply made they are, need all the help they can get.

If yours is hooked up to your power steering, post some pics :)

Yea, I don't know if the auxiliary cooler was for the towing package or not. I don't know what else was included in the towing package if it was... I don't have a receiver hitch or factory wiring harness. It could be a regional thing, where Ford put them on for vehicles delivered to southern parts of the US?

I've never seen a power steering cooler for the Explorers, factory anyway. No mention of it either. There's only 2 hoses for the power steering pump, the pressure and return. There's no aftermarket option for a longer return hose that is bent differently to go to a cooler up front. With that said though, I've been toying with the idea of installing one. I know these pumps run DANG hot and being how cheaply made they are, need all the help they can get.

If yours is hooked up to your power steering, post some pics :)
I'm actually happier that it is a transmission cooler outside of the radiator. I always thought that the trans cooler was just a portion of the radiator. And yeah, it would be nice to have a PS cooler, but pretty much everything on these first gens could benefit from additional cooling, unfortunately there is only so much space to place coolers on the front ends of these cars

I'm actually happier that it is a transmission cooler outside of the radiator. I always thought that the trans cooler was just a portion of the radiator. And yeah, it would be nice to have a PS cooler, but pretty much everything on these first gens could benefit from additional cooling, unfortunately there is only so much space to place coolers on the front ends of these cars

I've been eyeballing this guy for a PS cooler:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-1010/overview/

Then this guy to run as another trans cooler:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-4110/overview/
On my setup it would go rad tank > spin-on filter > factory aux cooler > secondary cooler (above).

Not huge coolers but enough to help a bit.

I haven't done measurements but I think both would fit on the passenger side, ziptied through the radiator. But, I'm going to be removing my AC condenser so more air will flow through. There's a few pictures on this forum by a member that did a spin-on trans filter, remote oil filter and 2 trans coolers all up front.

Found it!
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2324580#post2324580
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247990&highlight=oil+cooler

Back