T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Well I got tired of the 4.0 ohv not having any power on the highway climbing the hills on the 62 and having no low end in 4x4 high offroad, especially now that I have a pickup with a 5.7 v8 in it..

I've been lurking for some time since I've been kinda busy with work but, I got my hands on a Turbonetics T3 T4 hybrid so it's project time. It has the .48ar T3 turbine and a f1-57 trim T4 compressor. I expect this thing will spool FAST but I am not making any claims to being too familiar with forced induction..worst case scenario is there's a problem I can get a higher trim turbine.

I plan on having it live just behind and to the right of the alternator after doing test fitting. Its snug but should work nice to draw through my snorkel set up and for routing the exhaust.

Now, I have a concern about drawing through the stock airbox with a K&N drop in.. will this be too much suction and cause oil to get past the center housing seals?

If I hit full boost before highway cruising speed will that boost still be effective once in the higher RPM's? ie: is 7lb boost (where I plan to limit it at) at say, 1500 rpm still 7lb boost at 3k rpm?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the guru advice and input. I'll try to post through the project and get some pics up since everyone likes pics.

:usa: 'merica

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sometimes it can be tough to find the pid that actually works.
I'd have a hard time believing the iat sensor maxes out at 79. Thats super low.

I think your looking for a pid that says something like 'injector duty cycly'

I can send you one of my logs if you you like so you can see the pids I'm using and the kinds of values I'm seeing. It might help you a bit.

I do like the gauge on the door panel. Great idea. How did that work out for fit, finish, and angle of the gauge?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Alright please, I'd like to take a look to see maybe I have some options to play with.

Fit of the gauge was ok. There's not a lot of space behind the panel which is forcing the gauge slightly toward the passenger side but, it's for coolant temp so I can still read 1oo through max easily. I had to modify the mount for it to fit and I tried making the outside, leg if you will, to straighten it out as much as possible, but that wasn't a big deal. Finish isn't great right now I'm toying with the idea of some epoxy resin and glassing it too because about 1/4 of the gauge body sticks out of the panel. I like its location overall just could use some finishing so it doesnt just look like a gauge crammed in a hole (which it is ha)

Alright the replacement gauge should arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping its not going to have any issues like the first one did. Summits service was great on the phone today so hopes are high.
Turbo blanket should be in by the end of the week too lotta heat on that fender. Progress photos to follow.

ykRPKY.jpg

Moving forward. I felt cheap today and I picked up some quicksteel extreme to try and fix the leak(s) that are basically acting like a waste gate set for 5lb.

TDMwln.jpg

It's rated to 2400 deg F so I figure it wont burn up in 5 min like the jbweld "high heat" stuff does on the Y at about 400 deg F.

Hoping it will work as good as my buddy who's a mechanic says it does. I've also heard of shops/dealers packing it in exhaust ports and grinding it to change shape/size.

It's got a so much Iron in it it's got like a crushed pearl paint kind of look to it. The chemical reaction and follow on heat should melt all those bits together..it's just a decent epoxy with a lot of metal flakes in it...

Gonna let it cure for about 30 hours and see how it does then.

Your running 5lbs boost on stock maf, injectors, and computer tuning? Do you really want to plug those holes??
Any type of logging yet?
A wide band to see what's happening would be good (although not accurate with those leaks, it would give you something).
I'm afraid for you. 19 lb injectors pegging out, and a maf that's pegged also. At least I think it would be. I really want to know.

Your running 5lbs boost on stock maf, injectors, and computer tuning? Do you really want to plug those holes??
Any type of logging yet?
A wide band to see what's happening would be good (although not accurate with those leaks, it would give you something).
I'm afraid for you. 19 lb injectors pegging out, and a maf that's pegged also. At least I think it would be. I really want to know.

I ran 12psi....on all stock stuff but blew the hell outa that stock motor...oo and i was running 60psi on fuel with 110 octane and TR6 plugs

Well haha...I guess I better take it easy on er then. It's not my only set of wheels but it'd suck to add to the cost of this little endeavor.

The pcm is tuned but not for the turbo yet just for 91 and the 5spd....

Between the data I l've logged and also Watching my aftermarket temperature gauge I can further tell it leans out slightly at and over 4lb boost. The temp slightly climbs but it holds under 200deg...turning the heater on full blast drops it back around 190 and the intercooler with scoop has been working great. Which helps...but I know I am asking for trouble if I keep that up.

The MAF and Injectors will happen and I'll probably not get to it until october or november. Based on the above and my desire to bump the power up to the most I can get out of that setup it will happen....and it'd be nice not to blow/crack my heads or put holes in my pistons...I'll lay off driving it once I have the leaks stopped until I can get the rest done. If all goes to plan I'll only run it once more before I do nothing more than run it for 15 min or so once in a while to charge the batteries.

Got the proper PIDs pulled on the data log for fuel. Still trying to learn/work out all the data since its new to me. Fuel trim on both banks is betwen .70 and 1.20 within .10 of eachother.

You really need a wideband o2 sensor to add to the logging. At wot, I don't think the front o2's are even used. I think its default programming, and I'm pretty sure that wot with that turbo spooled=super lean condition.

I'm adding it to the list. Right now the truck is going to basically sit while I gather up the remaining parts. It's pretty lean im sure and the log is under normal driving conditions from driveway with ect under 190deg to 190+ deg and highway driving with max of 3 lb boost. I just had to do struts on my wifes car so I've gotta get past that before I get more stuff for the project. She set me back but her safety is what counts:thumbsup:

Do all wide bands come with the acessory cable/plug for the data logging or are the cheap ones going to be recording numbers by hand?

I'm not sure about the cheap ones. We all seem to use innovate lc1's around here.

Yeah, well good to know I'll be holding off for a little, gotta ease off the throttle so to speak on the project. Between un expected wifes car projects and saving for this upcoming tea ceremony wedding (chinese tradition for her side) my fun money pockets are in a worse drought than southern california...too soon? haha

Any way, its going to get finished right its just going to take time. looking for fall for injectors and MAF still.

Odds and ends will go through the winter to include having a shop bend up the y pipes and down pipe so I can get rid of that leaky flex garbage.

It's hard not just throwing down the credit card and going all in. I'm the kinda guy that has to finish projects when I've started and it's annoying having it sit half done.

WoW just read thru all the posts, awesome work!! Pretty envious, the 4.0 OHV and 33" tires aren't the best combo for "performance"...

WoW just read thru all the posts, awesome work!! Pretty envious, the 4.0 OHV and 33" tires aren't the best combo for "performance"...

Thanks for the compliment. Still a lot to do to get it completed so I don't blow my engine but as is the difference at cruise and under acceleration is notable. Turbo stays spooled on the highway so boost is there as soon as the pedal goes down. Off the beaten path. in sand and in low gears, same thing. May not be as immediate as a supercharger but it's night and day from stock engine with 33's. Never thought I'd take this project on before I did..sort of on a whim... but I can say I'm a big advocate for forced induction now.

Worked on finishing a side project today. I had some spare tubing laying around and welded it together for the tire mount, went to home depot got some all thread and other bits to secure the tire in place with a lug. Now my gypsy rack is mostly finished. All thats left is raising the jerry can carrier about a foot to not sit so low and make the rack look a bit more appealing.
SWQB4Y.jpg

My welds are improving slowly.
uQSs6U.jpg

Ok back on topic for the turbo charger. Planning a MAF to go with the 30lb injectors, does anyone have any suggestions or know what ones plug right in without building a pigtail? Right now I'm looking at the BBK 8005.

Ok back on topic for the turbo charger. Planning a MAF to go with the 30lb injectors, does anyone have any suggestions or know what ones plug right in without building a pigtail? Right now I'm looking at the BBK 8005.

You not going with a slot design? ? You are tuning this truck correct? ?just get the lightning 90mm and grab the plug from a second gen maf..just one wire isnt used and tune the truck for the 90mm...i wouldnt pay all that money for that bbk at all:thumbdwn: 90mm go for like $75 and will support any boost that motor will hold..tun the truck to the maf..dont tune a maf to injectors, so old school

You not going with a slot design? ? You are tuning this truck correct? ?just get the lightning 90mm and grab the plug from a second gen maf..just one wire isnt used and tune the truck for the 90mm...i wouldnt pay all that money for that bbk at all:thumbdwn: 90mm go for like $75 and will support any boost that motor will hold..tun the truck to the maf..dont tune a maf to injectors, so old school

I'll look into the lightning MAF. Makes more sense for the $. I've already turned away from the BBK but over all that's good advice so thank you.

I've got a set of 36lb injectors that should arrive this weekend. A little more than needed but, will work close enough for tuning. Those will go in as soon as I can. Work is going to be busy the next few weeks so that could delay installing them.

Back