T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

T3 T4 Hybrid Turbo OHV

Well I got tired of the 4.0 ohv not having any power on the highway climbing the hills on the 62 and having no low end in 4x4 high offroad, especially now that I have a pickup with a 5.7 v8 in it..

I've been lurking for some time since I've been kinda busy with work but, I got my hands on a Turbonetics T3 T4 hybrid so it's project time. It has the .48ar T3 turbine and a f1-57 trim T4 compressor. I expect this thing will spool FAST but I am not making any claims to being too familiar with forced induction..worst case scenario is there's a problem I can get a higher trim turbine.

I plan on having it live just behind and to the right of the alternator after doing test fitting. Its snug but should work nice to draw through my snorkel set up and for routing the exhaust.

Now, I have a concern about drawing through the stock airbox with a K&N drop in.. will this be too much suction and cause oil to get past the center housing seals?

If I hit full boost before highway cruising speed will that boost still be effective once in the higher RPM's? ie: is 7lb boost (where I plan to limit it at) at say, 1500 rpm still 7lb boost at 3k rpm?

Anyway, thanks in advance for the guru advice and input. I'll try to post through the project and get some pics up since everyone likes pics.

:usa: 'merica

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

0swRlm.jpg

N72WA5.jpg

8N3und.jpg

uM9k2d.jpg

AofeY9.jpg

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

It's makeshift for another month or three but hey, for now it works!

Alright, I identified an exhaust leak on the drivers side where the flex garbage clamps on. I'm out of clamp there so I'll either be welding it soon. The problem with the leak although it is small, is that it's enough to keep me from hitting the desired boost levels. When idle next to other vehicles and starting out next to them I can hear it fluttering. Sure enough getting under there I felt it with my hand. Should be ok, just gotta put the time in.

Congratulations! at least you have proof of concept, and issues you are seeing are expected. Time and money now. :)

Thank you. Yeah, I'm sure one thing fixed will lead to another thing to fix for a little bit.

Did you notice your rpm's slightly higher after the install on yours?

No I didn't. Except, when I did mine, I wen't to larger injectors and slot maf at evactly the same time as the turbo was plumbed in to the intake. With my design, I wasn't able to run the turbo with factory intake and maf.

You are seeing boost quickly (when you didn't have the exhaust leak) which is awesome.

Some things I noted on mine are that boost comes on slowly and shows up around 3000rpm. Then its a smooth ramp up to max boost. I think this is a combination of rear mount turbo, and sizing. Now, even with what appears to be a larger turbo than I need for my application, dpfe hoses pop off due to exhaust back pressure.

From what I have read, 2 to 1 back pressure is not uncommon, and is actually pretty reasonable. so that would mean with 5lbs boost, there's 10 lbs pressure in the exhaust pre-turbo. That would definitely pop dpfe hoses.

Got to the bottom of the leak issue. I caused it by not getting the pipe on the drivers side of the Y enough and actually punching a hole in the pipe with the clamp. Tomorrow I'll be picking up some new pipe to fix it. We'll see how it spools then. Looking forward to some solid results.

I'll have to keep an eye on the hoses. So far I havent had a problem though, we'll see when the full boost comes on. I may be investing in a bunch of little worm clamps.

Well put the new pipe on and took it out on the highway. Sounded like the waste gate opened up a few times. I heard the turbo stalling if I snapped the throttle shut on acceleration so I wont be driving it hard without a blowoff valve but it was worth it this once to pass all that traffic like I was driving my v8 pickup. I'll be putting on a boost gauge tomorrow with an A pillar cup so that will be exciting to see where it's at.

Now I'm afraid for you. :). careful not to lean out.

I haven't had it detonate yet (fingers crossed it wont):burnout: I'll be taking it easy until i get the maf and injectors. That's gonna be the final step. I'll just have to have some self control in the interim. Not easy. :D

Got my pod and guage today. Not happy. I'm usually satisfied with summit racing but this is just sad.They shipped me a guage that was used. It was frozen in place at 20hg of vac missing bulb, wires, all fittings and lines and it was evident this thing was opened and things were missing as soon as I got it and the "security seal" tape was cut.

There was severe lack of quality control on this one. Very disappointing.

So now I have to return it and wait for a new one but I'll be starting with the pod at least.

Pulled the pillar plastic out after marking where I liked the pod to sit. I'm going to cut a hole for the lines to go through then drill holes in the pod and the pillar plastic to secure it with some small push fasteners.

Trying to upload some photos but image shack isnt working well today. future post date for photos TBD.

I would get a boost gauge on it asap..detonation doesnt always happen when the head gasket go..

Yeaaa for boost tho :)

I agree. But again...dang store shipped me garbage today... I'm pretty sure it boosted closer to 8lb when I had the waste gate open up the other night when I fixed the leak. Reason is the turbo spooled faster even after the gate opened. All guesstimation via my earballs and seat o the pants boost gauge for now though. I'll be avoiding that again until I've got a functional gauge to have better reference to what's going on.

It's amazing what that much boost can do for this engine with this heavy of a vehicle.

Still can't get image shack to work so I can't get pictures up.

I use photo bucket.never had issues

Bummer is I uploaded something like 10 and will have to re-do them if I cant get this to work. Ah well.

20150715_114626_zps1a2c6ea4.jpg

Box of disappointment I got with most of the small parts missing.

20150715_191546_zpse79ece59.jpg

Pulled the pillar plasstic after marking it for aligning the pod

20150715_191658_zps242070c4.jpg

Ready to drill holes through for the push fasteners

20150715_192054_zps3cdc10a5.jpg

Holes drilled through.

20150715_192530_zps68d5172d.jpg

20150715_193103_zps93fd5472.jpg

20150715_194358_zpsd08e7afe.jpg

Hole dremeled out the back.

20150715_194410_zps9a3c7a94.jpg

20150715_195156_zpsa71b0d5a.jpg

Yeah..somethings definately missing...

Well, I am not sure if it is me putting the pedal down although, that is most likely the main cause...My gas mileage has dropped something substancial.

It really pulls on the highway and wants to keep pulling hard on past 70 in 5th. It's got comprable acceleration to my 5.7l v8 truck which is kind of scary but so fun haha

Im sure that once the maf and injectors are in and I have it tuned it will run more efficiently. I noticed when I put the new pump in mileage went down and the truck had more pull which was before the turbo was plumbed in so I am certain more fuel is getting dumped into the chambers.

I am curious if the drawing through the stock MAF is a contributing factor.

The only way I will really know for sure is if I can data log. I guess It's time to research what I can do with my SCT programmer.

Ok I figured out how to use the data log and uploaded the first one I've done on my computer. I ran a log from idle to 4400 in 2nd and another from about 1500 to 4400 in 3rd. then did a normal pull to 70 from about 20 or so.

I noted that fp dutycycle was a value of 1.00 constantly I think that means my injectors are maxed?(I expected it if so. in the current setup)

IAT was constant at 79 also which leads me to believe that is also a maxed out value?

Spark made sense looking at it overall but at a few points it was doing some fluctuating I'm not sure about.

When it comes to the computer part I don't know so much yet.

Back