Help!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help!!!

kmbogati

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
I have a 2000 P.O.S. Explorer my key quit turning, so my brother came over and tried to replace the cylinder (ignition). he couldn't get it out, but he did get it to turn, but the car wont start. I'm seeing posts on here about PATS and reprogramming keys...but how do I turn this PATS off for what was basically a false alarm?? simple terms please, I really dont know much about cars, and my brother is no longer answering my phone calls.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bashing your Explorer

I'm fond of my 2000 Explorer even though it often perplexes me. Bashing the primary vehicle of this forum is probably not the best approach to get help. I believe the only way to disable PATS is with a custom tune. If you purchase an SCT PowerFlash ($379 new) it may include a free custom tune. I doubt that a Ford dealer will do it for you. If you post your symptoms in detail maybe a member who has not been offended by your first post will be willing to help you.

Didn't mean to offend anyone...but this is my 2nd explorer and the tow truck driver and I are now on a 1st name basis. I loved my 98 explorer...this one... well I don't believe I'll be buying a 3rd.

rapid THEFT flash?

OK, so now the key turns in the ignition cylinder. When On is selected does the Check Engine light illuminate? If not, then your brother probably broke the key or the lock cylinder.
Does THEFT flash every 2 seconds when the ignition is off? According to the Owner's Guide for your 2000:
"When the ignition is turned to On or Start, the theft indicator will light for three seconds and then go out. If the theft indicator stays on for an extended period of time or flashes rapidly, have the system serviced by your dealership or a qualified technician."
What does the theft light do?
Have you tried your other ignition key?

all the lights come on, including flashing theft light. but now the key is not turning again. I bought it used, it only came with one key

Back