vroomzoomboom

Elite Canuck STOCK SUCKS!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
selkirk, manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 supercharged 347 sport
so i have been trying to figure this out. has anyone pulled a 5L and trans out in one shot? if you did, how hard was it to do, and did you mess anything up doing it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Absolutely the 5.0 comes out with the transmission.

Radiator, harmonic balancer, upper intake,the transmission oil fill tube, front cats and FEAD need to be off.

The right side of the FEAD needs the belt tensioner off to get to the 4th bolt that holds the bracket on but the alternator can stay on the bracket.

With care, you can leave the p/s pump, it's hoses along with the a/c compressor and it's hose on the left bracket when you remove, only 3 bolts. It'll be a bit heavy and awkward but very manageable.

Best to remove the power cable for the starter along with it's two brackets at the front of the engine.

Helps to pull the steering shaft (2 bolts) and the a/c evap air box (4 bolts and a vacuum plug)

An adjustable engine leveler is pretty much essential as you've got to drop the transmission way way down.

On one removal the right exhaust flange snagged the aluminum heat shield on the air box and bent that (I'd left the air box in place). Without doubt, the more room you can make, the easier it is to remove.

ok. the one thing i was hoping for was to not have to remove the trans tube. they are a royal PITA to unbolt from the head. as well as i didnt really want to unbolt the air box. i was hoping to leave that intact. if the accumulater has to come off, no biggie, i am replacing it anyway. same with the steering shaft (going to a 96 shaft and tossing my 98 out). the upper intake is no big deal either. its no there (i have a supercharger so it and the mount will come off before anything anyway). i can also see the balancer being not fun to take out, even with the rad out of the way.

Yep, the trans tube is a royal pain!, it's even worse to reinstall. I cheat an install a stud on the back of the head, use a nut and washer on reinstall rather than try and get a bolt back in.

No, the air box does not need to come out but it really is not that difficult. Only one of the 4 bolts has difficult access because of the exhaust manifold the other three are pretty easy to get to as is the vacuum connector.

The harmonic is not that bad either, but you're blind trying to get the puller bolted to the balancer.

I cheat an install a stud on the back of the head, use a nut and washer on reinstall rather than try and get a bolt back in.

that sir is a HELL of a idea, and think i just may do that!!!!

Tim,

Pick up 2 studs, nuts and bolts please.
Im all in for anything that makes a job easier.

well i am bored as hell today, and have a set of heads off laying on the floor, i think i have found my project for today.
and jon, i think they would be too small.

Yea, pretty sure the trans fill tube bolts to the head with a 7/16" bolt, not 3/8"

Well I am glad I am a pack rat when it comes to nuts and bolts. If you have a few 302 transmission bell housing bolts kicking around they are the same thread you just need to lop the head off the bolt and find a nut to screw on there. And Don your stud and nut are bagged up and waiting for you

Back